• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions of Aerocharger turbos?

N
Jan 29, 2008
I'm looking at adding a turbo to my XR 1200 and wondering what everyone thinks of the Aerocharger setups? Are they durable and efficient? I've had a few tell me they're junk and that they are inefficient when compared to a Garrett. Would one be a good choice for a low boost setup 4 stroke? Thanks.

S

studsrsx

Jan 2, 2008
Easy to work with, simple to setup....But expensive to fix if needed. Garretts alot more heavy duty. Better choice in the long run...IMO. Also garretts generally cheaper to buy up front.

G
Apr 23, 2008
not worth the effort to be different .

They have failed at GM, they have failed in the feild on many,, you dont get allot of feedback because most who had one are done with snowmobiling due to the bad taste left after an aerofiasco..

Ask yourself this,
How does a ceramic bearing melt and turn into STEEL??

even the 2007 66 sent to me for repair had melted steel bearing,, but they CALL then ceramic..

ceramic does not turn to a steel puddle..

Gus Bohne
603-401-8897

the owners names have changed, the unit has not.

Gerhart,,,lol:blah::blah::blah:

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
I have tried a lot of diffrent turbo set up (td05h,ihi vf44,garrett,chinese knoff off and aerocharger) on a/c,poo and as far as i'm concern the best all around turbo i dealt with was the aerocharger setup.Easy to install,setup,use,maintain........i currently run an hm aerocharger 66 kit with water to air intercooler on my 09 800 rmk at 12 lbs boost with absolutely 0 problem and 2440 miles. aerocharger is night and day compared with the other turbos for the responsivness, almost 0 lag and instant boost.....in fact, it is boosting 1lbs at idle!! no need for a blowoff valve also and no oil pump requiered also. it has been realy reliable for me and i'm running my sled at around 1000-3000 feet.

G
Apr 23, 2008
I get a real kick out the old lag story..
No ball bearing turbo has lag, not even a huge 3071 on my 800 rev.
boost is moving up with throttle movement,,

the aeros had that going for them until garrett went to ball bearings,, now its moot.

lag is non exisitent in a sled when done right.

Kudos to you for even going that many miles on the flats with any 2 stroke turbo period,,!!!:first::first:
Gus

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have an Aero 66 on mine. Have had no issues whatsoever since it was tuned properly. Run 2 gal 110 and the rest pump 91 at 9 lbs boost, 6k to 9k feet. Garrets run good too.

Bottom line....you will be happy with whichever one you have installed correctly and tuned right.

Cheers!

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I HAVE HAD 6 of them all failed, they wont do12-15 psi for long above 10k been ther done that.If your running pump gas OK BUT I BOUGHT a turbo to run12-15-18 psi I can't ride slump gaser any more, my 2871 is in the sweet spot at 15.I had two 66 go down.100 yards from each other and it cost me 1200$ each to fix ....my garrett was less. Brand new !!!!and has now run 2 seasons no issues...but I have a 66 for sale if you realy want one ..

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
AEROCHARGER

I have tried a lot of diffrent turbo set up (td05h,ihi vf44,garrett,chinese knoff off and aerocharger) on a/c,poo and as far as i'm concern the best all around turbo i dealt with was the aerocharger setup.Easy to install,setup,use,maintain........i currently run an hm aerocharger 66 kit with water to air intercooler on my 09 800 rmk at 12 lbs boost with absolutely 0 problem and 2440 miles. aerocharger is night and day compared with the other turbos for the responsivness, almost 0 lag and instant boost.....in fact, it is boosting 1lbs at idle!! no need for a blowoff valve also and no oil pump requiered also. it has been realy reliable for me and i'm running my sled at around 1000-3000 feet.

What you running for fuel at low elevation?

On that stand alone E.C.U. is that a MOTEC, VIPAC, or something new altogether?

A

Aerocharger_Brad

Jun 28, 2010
www.aerocharger.com
not worth the effort to be different .

They have failed at GM, they have failed in the feild on many,, you dont get allot of feedback because most who had one are done with snowmobiling due to the bad taste left after an aerofiasco..

Ask yourself this,
How does a ceramic bearing melt and turn into STEEL??

even the 2007 66 sent to me for repair had melted steel bearing,, but they CALL then ceramic..

ceramic does not turn to a steel puddle..

Gus Bohne
603-401-8897

the owners names have changed, the unit has not.

Gerhart,,,lol:blah::blah::blah:

Interesting point of view!
GM....???
2007 you got a 66? it would have been made around 1996 when Jim from Dynotech was running the manufacturing. It would have had steel balls installed. We have only used Ceramic. The Owners names have not changes! We have always owned the technology but had agreement for Jim to make them. Because of quality issues we cancelled the agreement and have made many improvements and changes some things back to PRE-Jim.
Gerhart was a part owner with JIM.
The unit is very different than older units. We have started changing our focus from supplying turbos to supplying complete well-engineered kits. This is because many of dealers did not make a quality kit.
I am sorry you had a bad experience or you have a friend that does not like me but we are working hard to correct the past we inherited from Jim. If you have a specific concern please ask and I will do my best to inform you of the current status.

Did people really stop snowmobiling because of a turbo? WOW!

Last edited:
A

Aerocharger_Brad

Jun 28, 2010
www.aerocharger.com
I HAVE HAD 6 of them all failed, they wont do12-15 psi for long above 10k been ther done that.If your running pump gas OK BUT I BOUGHT a turbo to run12-15-18 psi I can't ride slump gaser any more, my 2871 is in the sweet spot at 15.I had two 66 go down.100 yards from each other and it cost me 1200$ each to fix ....my garrett was less. Brand new !!!!and has now run 2 seasons no issues...but I have a 66 for sale if you realy want one ..

Please explain. I dont know of anybody with you story. It is true that at 10K we stop at 12psi. I just don't know anybody with a ski-doo that has or had 6 Aerochargers. With a little more info I may be able to help others understand your view. Why would you keep trying a new turbo when clearly it was not a good match or there was a application issue?

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Brad it was on 2 dragons and after the whole oil fill plug fiasco and you wouldn't warranty it I STILL GAVE YOU A CHANCE. And you built us a Hybryd. That you assured me it would run .it didnt..and you dont have a problem at 10k and 12psi it wont do more than 10 psi for any length of time and when I sent the last one in with20 miles on it and you quoted me 1200$ you guys kept it and you still have it, 2 years and you have never contacted me, great customer service!!

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Brad, gerhart was there long before Jim was involved.

As were myself, Mike mazur and land and sea.

As I said, I never failed a bearing,,ever.. but serviced many that did. its just the cost Brad.
Now with bigger ball bearing options at lower costs its just evolution, the market goes where it needs to get the results warranted to stay competitive.

We need a higher rpm window so these guys can take advantage of the knowledge gained over these last 20 years.

Todays end user may start out at 9 psi,, but the old burndown destruction days are gone.

Sooner than later that end user is up to 13 psi,, got a taste of big torque and he's calling for the race fuel set up for just short blasts !! LOL

That seems to be the market I get exposed to more and more.
3 seasons on 2 stroke turbo without failure was outside the window when Your unit was the ONLY ball bearing vertical turbo we could get.

Its almost a shame the aero was the turbo of choice, it would NOT have been exposed to so many LEARNING fiascos that had nothing to do with the turbo.

It was OUR own fault to wreck those old triples at 25 psi...the cost to repair got out of hand, but again,, it was our OWN fault.

Big air flows at lower boost levels and of course, the price..

now the ebay stuff is putting a tarnish on them too.

Gus Bohne

1989 aerocharger Cat dealer..I never sent even 1 unit back for repair.
I bought parts and repaired my own and of course some others.

A

Aerocharger_Brad

Jun 28, 2010
www.aerocharger.com
Brad it was on 2 dragons and after the whole oil fill plug fiasco and you wouldn't warranty it I STILL GAVE YOU A CHANCE. And you built us a Hybryd. That you assured me it would run .it didnt..and you dont have a problem at 10k and 12psi it wont do more than 10 psi for any length of time and when I sent the last one in with20 miles on it and you quoted me 1200$ you guys kept it and you still have it, 2 years and you have never contacted me, great customer service!!

That would have been on a OVS kit Correct? Why would it be the manufactures fault if a customer opens the oil fill plug to fill the turbo and then does not tighten properly to keep it from backing out? The problem was only a problem when the Air filter dome was used. It is correct you had a dome air filter right? The plug would back out and instead of falling to the belly pan it would get bounced and sucked into the Compressor wheel right. We had a few customer from OVS do the same thing. The turbo now comes with a tag informing people to tighten the plug after filling. We have not had a repeat in long time. I am not sure why we would contact you after quoting as we were told you did not want it fixed. I think OVS may have fixed it but I can check our records if you are interested. This is an example of way we are producing our own kit with proper instruction. We do not build Hybryds that would be a Garrett T3-TO4. The problem you may have had was not a problem with the turbo it was an application issue. We stand behind our kits and turbos. In fact we give a 50% for 3 years on any turbo in one of our kits, even if you throw a brass screw at it or a piston. Did you contact us directly or did you work through OVS?
Anyway I am sorry you had a bad experience but the is why WE are now building the kits. Many of our problem are caused by the application/kit. Please call me and I can explain more. OVS build a good kit so I would rather not explain here.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
First of it was not the fill but the vent I explained that to you and you still blamed it on me and Ok so it was an ovs thos guys were building kits for a long time I had one as far back as 99 from the cykala days again they all Failed,,,, and if Ovs or brad story or steve packer are disigning the kits wrong enlighten me!!! I built a kit for a 500 sno pro cat last season and had it on here as well as some vids and at 8 psi it to over spun the bearings ceramic and all and I used ceramics on my 20 psi supercharged seadoos running over a 100 mph and they don't last any longer than the steels,,and your the one that said it as a hybrid now your saying that you didn't build one?????? And Garrett does,,, so your saying that garr lied or you BS me about the hybryd ,, which is it????

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
This is the point.
Its ALWAYS the customer, its always the shop its always NOT aeros issue or aeros problem.

Enough. now you can build your own and see how far THAT excuse goes in the real world.

The current wins on grass, ice snow and asphalt and the records and champions are on Garrett and they, Like myself all over speeding them and not having any trouble. 4 years at 24 psi and not one issue..

When I see threads about the customers YOU turn away because they are outside the fitment is when I will believe ..

You can NOT blame any of the doo, cat or polaris shops who were selling the systems.
You will learn that or go.

Gus

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Gus you hit in on the head !!!! Iguess if all you want is a pump gasser than an aero is your poison I want Boost ,, if I'm going to spend 4-6K then I want 12-18 psi So I guess if you want pump gas low boost/lowpower OK ,,,I think I will play with the big boys!!!
When RIP charger gets ther act together this will all be a moot point as there building low boost systems for a lot less than an aero!!! Low boost/low power that is!!!

Last edited:
L

lookup

Nov 26, 2007
sheridan wy
Todays end user may start out at 9 psi,, but the old burndown destruction days are gone.

Sooner than later that end user is up to 13 psi,, got a taste of big torque and he's calling for the race fuel set up for just short blasts !! LOL

This statement is so true,otherwise why would a guy buy a turbo in the first place,but reliability does come into play.How reliable is 13lbs of boost on a 800 engine? Theres got to be more than just turbos coming apart,I am running a 9lbs boost kit and fully expect something to break,probably me.

The definition of experience: is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted

I am trying to learn off other peoples EXPERIENCE :face-icon-small-hap

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I have been at 12-15 for 2 seasons on a 2 stock dragons and have not had one problem except the normal reed issues,, and the complexity of the oil pump and water cooling is soo not an issue if you sawhow it's plumbed and wired you would not even consider as more complicated!!!

L

Love-n-Life

Nov 26, 2007
CO
Alls good - aerocharger

I have really enjoyed working with the Aerocharger guys. I have had the opportunity to ride their pro-rmk and skidoo etec turbo sleds. They work awesome. These guys have been working for months to make sure this is a first class quality product. I respect them for that. Both of the sleds were running 5-7 psi of boost and the power was very impressive. I have also ridden other turbo sleds that are at 12-18 psi and the power was very similar. I think that the aero makes similar power at lower boost.

I think there are a lot of riders, including me, that will be completely satisfied with the power that an aero charger will make at 6-8 lbs. I am sure there will be those that will want more and will push the boost limits. I was told by aerocharger that high boost numbers were not what their turbos were about and if I was looking for a turbo with high boost numbers they would build us a kit using a different manfactures turbo designed for that. They were totally open an honest with me as to the limits of their product. With that being said, I always felt that I had to have high boost to meet the kind of powder i was wanting. The power of the skidoo etec and the Polaris pro kits that i rode of aerocharger was very smooth and very ridable. Very suprised with the quick spool of the turbo and the power at such a low psi. It opened my eyes to the fact that high boost was not always related to power. I am willing to put my money down and run one off their kits. I feel that the guys at aerocharger will Be first class to work with and stand behind what they sell.

I also own a business and usually the first people to bash you are the ones that you should have never done business with in the first place..... Just sayin...

So back to the original question, I am sure both companies/turbos are respectable. And I am sure there are issues that both have or will have, it goes back to having a good knowledge of what you are doing or a dealer you can trust and rely on when you do ANY mods. And at the end of the day, those of us that have done enough mods over the years will always have the not so good experiences, but we keep doing it, or pushing the limits because it's our passion......

Regards::sleep::clock:

Last edited:
Premium Features