• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching help/a good mechanic near Laramie?

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have done a few mods over the summer to my 98 670 Summit X but have not messed with clutches ever. We have a skidoo shop here in town but I took the sled in to get the clutches cleaned and they ruined it. First time I picked it up I burned up a good belt getting on and off the trailer, the secondary just spread instantly and wouldn't back shift. I brought it back furious and the second time I picked it up it still sucked.

Now it engages 600 rpm earlier than originally and the secondary shifts even faster, so my bottom end is very poor it won't even spin the track off the line. It runs good once I get it above 6000rpm. I turned the clickers out to 5 and it limits at 8000 that brought the engagement rpm up about 200 rpm (3900-4000). The sled use to engage around 4300-4400rpm and was a blast to ride in the trees.

Currently a buddies dad is putting UFOs in my carbs. I put a 159 2.125 track on and dropped to an 8 tooth driver. And Installed CPI twins. We ride 8000-11000 ft.

I am mechanically savvy but don't know how to tune the clutches. What would be a good starting point as far as springs, weights, rollers, arms, ramps, and helix. And what does the clutch do with respect to changes in each component.

Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features