• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the snowbike world please help me !

C
Dec 5, 2016
Clydepark mt
Ok here's the short of the long. I'm brand new to the snowbike world. I've rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles my whole life. I figured it only made sense to give this a whirl. So here's what I have so far 2017 yz450F 2016 timbers short track. The questions I have is how simple can I make this . Mostly for the reason I want to be able to change it back to dirt with relative ease. Also what parts can be made by me what parts are better off being bought( thinking engine covers mostly) . How well will a stock bike work? Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to this journey!

YZ's are great snowbikes and easy to set-up.

I try to keep mine as simple as possible, he's my list

-Thermostat with temp sensor
-Engine cover
-Pod filter
-Handgaurds
-Stiffer forks

IMO that's all you need to turn a YZ into a kickass snowbike that will compete with anything else on the hill.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I just bought a 16 YZ450F hold over for my snow bike . The items mentioned above are a pretty good list of Must haves and that's pretty much what my set up Is right now .I choose to try an airpro for the forks before I re-spring them hoping I can get away with just that since the fork work is really the only considerable expense when going back to dirt. Like you I will make my own engine blanket. I made a knock off of a CR racing intake and will probably make my own skid plate. I am a machinist with 24/7 access to a the shop so It makes those things easier for me to make and a lot cheaper. Some sort of lighting would be a good idea too. I think I will go with the new light from Cyclops or a frankensled helmet light.After that there is no end to the things you can do. New ECU ,larger foot pegs the list goes on and on.

Premium Features