• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PR2 ECU for 2018 YZ450

K

Ktm300

Oct 25, 2014
Cold lake, AB
Hey folks, I’m about to pick up a 2018 yz450 and a Camso kit for this winter, and I was wondering if/when the PR2 is available for it. I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews about the PR2, and seems to really let the bikes run to their potential. Also, if/when using the PR2 ecu, does that mean we lose the ability to use the fancy wifi smartphone tunabiltiy the 2018 YZ’s have ?

So far all I have on the list of mods are handguards, thermostat, engine blanket, and probably a snorkel type intake.

Will probably have to put stiffer springs in the forks yet for my 230lb butt.
Completely new to snowbikes, I welcome any and all info.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I know pr2 has been working on it but im not sure if it’s finished. Give jeff a call.
I imagine changing out your stock ecu you’ll lose your smart phone tunabilty but it wont matter for snow because thats what jeff has done for you. There are also dirt tunes on the pr2 but it’s an easy swap for dirt if you want to play with the stock ecu.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Ride the dang bike before U go drop any more $$$ into it. Most newer bikes perform great without ECU mod. 95% of the guys on the hill have stock ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Ktm300

Oct 25, 2014
Cold lake, AB
That being said, can someone post up the #s they’ve found works best for them in the adjustable ECU ? Would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any reports on how the new electric start/battery is working in the cold cold temps ? According to my dealer, This potentially could be a concern with Yamaha’s choice of battery for the 18 YZF.

K

Ktm300

Oct 25, 2014
Cold lake, AB
anyone have any ECU #’s theyd like to share that have worked well on the 2018 YZ? I was under the impression that the ‘standard’ -3 +3 maps were the best, but after some reading I’ve found that guys say that adding some fuel back actually helps the bike pull harder ? Any info on this concerning an 18 YZ would be much appreciated

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
anyone have any ECU #’s theyd like to share that have worked well on the 2018 YZ? I was under the impression that the ‘standard’ -3 +3 maps were the best, but after some reading I’ve found that guys say that adding some fuel back actually helps the bike pull harder ? Any info on this concerning an 18 YZ would be much appreciated

Ive been running -3 on fuel and +3 on ignition on my 18. I didnt feel any difference from the hard hitting loamy map. Im going to try switching maps again on the hill back to back and see

D
Nov 22, 2017
Hey folks, I’m about to pick up a 2018 yz450 and a Camso kit for this winter, and I was wondering if/when the PR2 is available for it. I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews about the PR2, and seems to really let the bikes run to their potential. Also, if/when using the PR2 ecu, does that mean we lose the ability to use the fancy wifi smartphone tunabiltiy the 2018 YZ’s have ?

So far all I have on the list of mods are handguards, thermostat, engine blanket, and probably a snorkel type intake.

Will probably have to put stiffer springs in the forks yet for my 230lb butt.
Completely new to snowbikes, I welcome any and all info.

PR2 is just a Vortex ECU with their custom maps installed. I have a generic Vortex ECU and saw all the gains that people talk about. PR2 will sell me their maps for $135 but I don't think there is much value in that, I think just getting rid of my restrictive factory ecu was the biggest bump I can expect.

Like others have said you almost positively won't need an aftermarket ECU with that bike. That bike is not locked down and restrictive like the ECU in my bike was (husky 501). For example just putting a pipe on my bike would cause it to run really lean and run terribly (flame outs), but I couldn't just go in and remap the ecu, so I had no choice but to go to an aftermarket ECU if I wanted to run anything other then stock configuration. (I didn't)

With the setup that comes from the factory on the YZ, it is not lean from the factory because they are not trying to make those bikes street legal and can easily be tuned by their built in tuner, so if you do go to an after market pipe and you are running lean, you can go in yourself and fatten it up quite easily

to sum up, ride the bike first, use the built in tuner, if still not happy look at other after market ecus, if PR2 doesn't have a version for your bike a YZ vortex is a good option, if you go this route and later on PR2 make maps for your specific bike, you can buy their maps from them later on.

yes better springs or the add on air compensation tool is what the local YZ guys run. I know on my bike better springs were cheaper and easier to install so I went that route

I would add a thermo-bob or thermostat and then you can use slider panels to block air flow to the rads if you are getting too cold on cold days

M
Oct 26, 2014
plus.google.com
PR2 is just a Vortex ECU with their custom maps installed. I have a generic Vortex ECU and saw all the gains that people talk about. PR2 will sell me their maps for $135 but I don't think there is much value in that, I think just getting rid of my restrictive factory ecu was the biggest bump I can expect.

Like others have said you almost positively won't need an aftermarket ECU with that bike. That bike is not locked down and restrictive like the ECU in my bike was (husky 501). For example just putting a pipe on my bike would cause it to run really lean and run terribly (flame outs), but I couldn't just go in and remap the ecu, so I had no choice but to go to an aftermarket ECU if I wanted to run anything other then stock configuration. (I didn't)

With the setup that comes from the factory on the YZ, it is not lean from the factory because they are not trying to make those bikes street legal and can easily be tuned by their built in tuner, so if you do go to an after market pipe and you are running lean, you can go in yourself and fatten it up quite easily

to sum up, ride the bike first, use the built in tuner, if still not happy look at other after market ecus, if PR2 doesn't have a version for your bike a YZ vortex is a good option, if you go this route and later on PR2 make maps for your specific bike, you can buy their maps from them later on.

yes better springs or the add on air compensation tool is what the local YZ guys run. I know on my bike better springs were cheaper and easier to install so I went that route

I would add a thermo-bob or thermostat and then you can use slider panels to block air flow to the rads if you are getting too cold on cold days
^^^^excellent advice right there!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I disagree. The map is well worth the 135 bucks especially if you already have a Vortex ignition. Jeff does a lot of necessary changes in the mapping that are very bike specific for snowbiking. The list is long. Unless u know how to change these parameters its well worth the money ! Its a lot more than just adding and subtracting fuel and timing. This isn't a Yamaha ECU.

K

Ktm300

Oct 25, 2014
Cold lake, AB
I disagree. The map is well worth the 135 bucks especially if you already have a Vortex ignition. Jeff does a lot of necessary changes in the mapping that are very bike specific for snowbiking. The list is long. Unless u know how to change these parameters its well worth the money ! Its a lot more than just adding and subtracting fuel and timing. This isn't a Yamaha ECU.

Exactly!!! That’s why I want one from PR2/Jeff.

D
Nov 22, 2017

Good to know, and I certainly wouldn't mind trying it out. I'm in cannuckistan so the problem of how do I get the maps on the ECU? sending the ECU to them to be programmed would be about 2 to 3 weeks round trip, have to cross the border twice, have to clear customs twice and wouldn't be cheap so I guess I'm factoring all that hassle in. I'm thinking there might be benefits just not going to be worth it at this point for me.

Now if they had a canadian shop local to me that I could take it to and pay $135 be in and out in an hour that'd be a no brainer

Do you know any more info on the maps, it was $135 for all ten not just one, so I'm curious about the other 9 maps

Premium Features