• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 800 V Doo 850

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Does this mean you are suggesting that Doo hasn't had issues with the 850? :face-icon-small-dis

No ......every sled has it problems but the sleds I have been around the g4 is a little better quality. Love how my Axys handles, wish Polaris had a little better quality. You have to take the Good with the Bad = good handling, bad quality. IMO, in my experience. Someone early said they gave up reliability for maneuverability and that's the point I quess I'm trying to make.

Last edited:

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I had a 16 Axy's 163 and a 17 Doo 850 165. I'm on a Mtn Cat 162 this year and even in previous years I've switched between the Pro's/Xm's etc. I'm not brand loyal what's so ever, I'm always up for a change. With that said far as the Axy's and Doo 850 are concerned, I really like both sleds. As mentioned before the 850 takes some seat time to get use to it, for a stock sled the power to weight ratio is outstanding. I had no problem with it washing out on side hills, got up on top of the snow great, I would say the Axy's is a bit more stable holds its line better climbing the steep in the trees.

The Axy's of course is down on power by a noticeable amount. With my Axy's I put the SLP pipe and Can on it, tuned the clutching and that really woke it up. The Axy's and the 850 do everything very well, but if I had to pick one over the other it would be the 850. For the simple reason I'm 6 4" 240lbs and the Doo just fits me better. I like the ero's of the sled and the power a little bit better, for being a big guy. If I was 5 9" 170lbs I probably would go with the Axy's. You really can't go wrong with either one of them, I'm just hoping I like my new Mtn Cat better than both of them.:biggrin1:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I own both and they're both great sleds. During normal season riding my opinion on which sled I wanna ride it will be the doo. The main reason is that I have more fun riding it. The power delivery is so smooth and strong, how well it goes in deep snow, how easy the sled is to ride (steering effort and initial tip over), and chassis feel adds up to a fun sled to ride in the deep snow.

Now when it gets to more set up snow, I feel the doo is a bit unpredictable since it is so sensitive to rider input. One wrong blip of the throttle or leaning over too hard will cause a mistake if you're not paying attention. I think this year I may try some of those washers to lock the t-motion for spring riding.

The Axys has its strong points as others have mentioned, chassis, sidehilling, predictability, and bang for the buck. You can pick up a used or mid season sale Axys for way cheaper than an 850 in my area. I just wished they would run as good when new at 1000 miles. Mine is way down on power, but I am going to try the motor mount trick to see if that picks up some RPM.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Now when it gets to more set up snow, I feel the doo is a bit unpredictable since it is so sensitive to rider input. One wrong blip of the throttle or leaning over too hard will cause a mistake if you're not paying attention.

I think a big part of the unpredictability of the Doo(besides the flexy skid) is that it's 36" wide in the front. Ever ride a 36" wide Pro? My Pro is a 36" X3 and I'd tip that thing over all the time when I first narrowed it. Narrow up a Pro and you get the easiest sled ever to control AND hold a line, once you get used to it. I haven't ridden an 850 yet, but plan to this season. I'm ordering the ultimate setup for next season and it's likely gonna be a turbo Axys 163, 36" wide, unless the 850 can change my mind.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I think a big part of the unpredictability of the Doo(besides the flexy skid) is that it's 36" wide in the front. Ever ride a 36" wide Pro? My Pro is a 36" X3 and I'd tip that thing over all the time when I first narrowed it. Narrow up a Pro and you get the easiest sled ever to control AND hold a line, once you get used to it. I haven't ridden an 850 yet, but plan to this season. I'm ordering the ultimate setup for next season and it's likely gonna be a turbo Axys 163, 36" wide, unless the 850 can change my mind.

Yes, my Axys has a zbroz 36" kit on it. The doo is a combo of how easy it rolls over, and its yoga ball feel. In deep snow this is easy to ride and fun, but in spring snow its a bit harder to ride. But I plan on playing with setup this spring more.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a 16 axys and a 17 850. The doo is alittle easier to initiate a sidehill, but harder to keep it there reliably. Once you get the doo on it’s side it kinda likes to go where it wants. The big reason the 850 initiates easier is it comes with a 36” front, the axys a 39”. Put a 36” front end on an axys and it’s better than the doo by a little. Big difference is the axys goes where you want it to go with very little input and doesn’t wash out, the doo washes out and has a mind of its own once you get it on its side. I’m talking super technical riding, most weekend worriors probably wont notice a difference. Both sleds are amazing, the 850 is a huge improvement over the sled it replaced. Just because I love new stuff, I bought an 18’ cat. Love that sled.

Last edited:
S
Oct 17, 2001
Milwaukee
Which direction to go after many years off?

Been out of consistent sledding for quite a few years now, last logged into SW over 2 years ago, and quite infrequently at that time. Have a deposit with the dealer for either an '18 Axys 155 or an '18 850 Summit SP 154, couple days left to decide before pickup.

Haven't ridden either , won't have a chance to ride before buying. Midwest rider, lots of tight technical U.P. hilly terrain, occasional trip out west 1-2 times per year at best. Typical late 40s recreational rider- no lightweight MX 20s wanna be!

Had a lot of time and money invested in a '04 Rev Hymark-X and aside from the engine package, hated the sled. After so many years on Polaris Wedge/Gen2/Edge chassis, never came to grips with the Rev chassis. Went back to an '05 Vertical Escape 159 after the Rev and other than the weight, enjoyed it a lot more than the Rev. Bottom line, expect either Axys or 850 to be light years ahead of either of my most "recent" snowcats.

6-7 years ago rode an updated '10 Summit XP w/S36 and definitely liked it more than the Rev. Rode a '13 RMK-Pro down a trail and it felt very snappy and light. That's the extent of my experience on anything remotely modern. Dealer support minimal concern, neither close enough to matter. Have several Pro-RMK in my riding circle and some XMs too. Understand their real or perceived strengths and weaknesses in general.

Leaning slightly towards the 850, mostly because I like the reported HP, like the new aggressive looks of the sled, and intrigued by the new clutching package as well. Concerned about trenching and potential sidehill "issues" and really don't want to put money into a brand new sled to address any handling issues. Axys just seems too "blah" looking as it's so similar to the 2011 Pro-RMK we've seen forever, little wow factor for me. Axys upside is the proven chassis, ultra light weight, efficient drivetrain- all bonus.

So trying to decipher it all before I pull the trigger...

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Rode both same day last year, and have owned both brands. That said I could live with either, but the Summit just seems to have better fight/finish. I just picked up a Summit and really looking it over I'm impressed, and can't wait to get in some deep snow. Good luck

Premium Features