• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike Oil Debate

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We recommend Klotz Ow40 Snow oil for all 4 stroke snowbikes. It works awesome, smells great, and I like the red color because it allows me to monitor oil wear as it gets darkened.......BUT here is the kicker in this oil debate. CLEAN oil is the best oil. If you are spending $1.99 a quart or 19.99 a quart and you don't change your oil often or watch to make sure you are not getting moisture in your oil it won't matter. Oil is like religion, so find one you believe in and make sure you keep it clean, it is the lifeblood of your engine.

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
So is the Rotella T6 ok to run with a rekluse? Reason I ask is I was told by Rekluse to run the Rotella T 15w-40 with the rekluse clutch..? This was for summer action, but since its winter....

B
I'm so happy that Beta has managed to design a separate engine sump and transmission sump so that I can use whatever oil I want in the engine side and not have to worry about a motorcycle specific oil at all.

I'm going to use the remainder of the 5W-30 I have and then look to go with a 0W-30 for the winter(s).

Nov 13, 2008
I have had great luck with yamalube 2r... oops, sorry guys I guess I have 2 less strokes. Haha. But seriously I run rotella t6 in my 4 stroke and it's been just fine. Cold morning starts are a bit tricky so now we park them inside. If that wasn't an option I would put one of them stick on pad heaters on the bottom of my engine and plug it in for an hour.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
So hears my story.. I run a turbo on a 14 450sxf... Blown crank seal... ran horrible for 20 hours before the head mushroomed...ran arcticat 0 40 syn.... I think personally it is a testament that the bike ran for that long before mushrooming ... The whole rental fleet my friend runs on yz450fs it was what held up the best by far...... I have an issue starting in real cold weather if the bikes out with out zero weight ..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I too use the cat oil!!! it also works in my 300 hp XF race sled

R
Apr 18, 2016
Rotella in my four stroke 650R, no snow bike but I do ride it up to about a foot and a half of snow on wheels, never a rotella problem bike has never missed a beat, been raced in Baja still on the same top end it came with from Honda.

2 strokes I run Chevron THF (tractor Hydraulic) in the gear box, zero clutch fade, zero gear related failure, been on the stuff like 10 years or something now...better than any other tranny combo out there for a 2 stroke gearbox in my mind.

Racin station has it right though...change it often, period

T
Oct 16, 2017
I ended up getting a bunch of maxima 530mx for half price on Black Friday. Assume this is at least ok for a yz450f to run? Probably make the switch to T6 once I'm out

Premium Features