• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike Oil Debate

Scrubs

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2010
Alberta
OK guys, been searching the forum for what guys are running, but a lot of the posts are a few years old.
Is there any updates on how bikes have been holding up running 0w40 synthetic?
Bike is a 15 KTM 450 SXF
I know lots of guys running Rotella but I have an unlimited supply of Mobil 0w40 synthetic from work. Is this a viable option?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
OK guys, been searching the forum for what guys are running, but a lot of the posts are a few years old.
Bike is a 15 KTM 450 SXF
I know lots of guys running Rotella but I have an unlimited supply of Mobil 0w40 synthetic from work. Is this a viable option?

Hopefully your boss doesn’t read this.......
Might be wondering where all the profits went.......

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Oil

No question good oil and, probably work good. But, might be a little slippery for your wet clutch. When I looked at Mobil few years ago that was not jaso ma rated. I'm assuming the ktm specs a jaso ma rated oil?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
rotella t6, is compatible with wet clutches. whatever oil you choose, make sure it is wet clutch compatible or motorcycle specific, or you may have clutch issues. mobile 1 makes a 10-40 cycle specific, amsoil makes a 0-40 cycle specific. Ski

Scrubs

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2010
Alberta
Thx for the input guys. Spoke with a mechanic and he said the reason for the 10w50 in the KTM is because the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically driven. The lower vis oil doesnt maintain as consistant of pressure and can lead to loss of tension to the chain, possible valve damage resulting.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Bike is a 15 KTM 450 SXF
So hears my story.. I run a turbo on a 14 450sxf... Blown crank seal... ran horrible for 20 hours before the head mushroomed...ran arcticat 0 40 syn.... I think personally it is a testament that the bike ran for that long before mushrooming ... The whole rental fleet my friend runs on yz450fs it was what held up the best by far...... I have an issue starting in real cold weather if the bikes out with out zero weight ..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
The JASO spec for oil should be baseline for whatever oil you choose to run, JASO has the proper additive package to keep the clutch from slipping. Standard automotive oils do not have this additive package.

Just my $.02

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
0w-40 is a better oil then Rotella particularly in cooler weather.

Thats actually not true. T6 5-40 or 0-40 more or less the same thing. Most of the synths have super low pour points. Unless your snowmaking at -30-40C then you won't see much difference. Amsoil pour points are like -43C for 0 and 5 weights. JFYI

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
I ran Rotella T6 5w-40 in a yz450 and ktm 350 last winter. Seemed to work fine, but kind of a small time frame for a good sample. Didn't have any clutch slipping tho! And as much as I hate walmart- it's readily available and cheap.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Thx for the input guys. Spoke with a mechanic and he said the reason for the 10w50 in the KTM is because the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically driven. The lower vis oil doesnt maintain as consistant of pressure and can lead to loss of tension to the chain, possible valve damage resulting.

Some KTM's run hydraulic cam chain tensioners, I know 350's do. I'm pretty sure yours is just a spring and ratchet type if its a single cam 450. Oil type shouldn't be an issue for that.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I ran Rotella 5w40 t6 most of last season. Changed oil after almost every ride (4hrs run time average) I started the season on Motorex and Maxima. The Rotella performed equally and was less than 1/3 the price.

More than 5 hours of hard running was shearing all oils. 5+ hours of run time also felt like my arms were shearing off!

Edit: this was on my 17’ 450sxf

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Synthetic Diesel Oil

I've been using Full Synthetic oil for Diesel engines and have had no issues at all and readily available.

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme - Motor Oil 5-40

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Has anyone tried the timbersled oil? Seems expensive but saving a couple bucks on oil in a 14k machine seems kind of silly if there is even the possibility of an issue.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Mototrax oil

I’m gonna try the Mototrax oil with all the updates. Do you guys think I’ll have any issues?

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
I’m gonna try the Mototrax oil with all the updates. Do you guys think I’ll have any issues?

+1. No way you'll have issues, knowing all of the hours they put into testing their original oil out on the snow, you won't even need to change your oil anymore now that it has the updates. I heard they have never had an engine failure with their oil and it makes your kit feel more like a bike.

Premium Features