• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Are the actual relays or the unplated tarnished brass connectors the Real Problem?

Question; Are the relays actually failing or is it the tarnishing ( this oxidation is non-conductive) of the brass (non-plated) connectors on the wiring harness actually causing the issue?

If it is just the Brass connectors Tarnishing then It would be way easy to disassemble the offending connectors and crimp on the correct Tin Plated Brass (or better) connectors in there place. Also if done properly there would be no warranty recourse should something go south. Most Service Department Techs. would not even notice the difference. The sleds owner will notice because there would be no need to clean them weekly as the Tarnishing would never be a problem again. FWIW

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I ordered from Waytek tonight. I'll let you know when they come. Mouser is 2 months out it still looks like

Prompt shipping from Waytek. Got 'em today
As a side note, it certainly wasn't cheap from Waytek, but cheap enough. By the time shipping & there small order fee was added on it ended being about $5.85 per relay

IMG_20170222_190203035.jpg IMG_20170222_190131951.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Anyone have an answer for LH's good question??

Question; Are the relays actually failing or is it the tarnishing ( this oxidation is non-conductive) of the brass (non-plated) connectors on the wiring harness actually causing the issue?

If it is just the Brass connectors Tarnishing then It would be way easy to disassemble the offending connectors and crimp on the correct Tin Plated Brass (or better) connectors in there place. Also if done properly there would be no warranty recourse should something go south. Most Service Department Techs. would not even notice the difference. The sleds owner will notice because there would be no need to clean them weekly as the Tarnishing would never be a problem again. FWIW

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Again I would bet the relays are not the actual problem

By swapping relays you are just reestablishing the electrical connection by scraping away the Tarnish on the unplated connectors on the wiring harness at the connecting point. I would bet you can plug the "failed" relay in the electric start location or whatever and it will continue to function as intended.

I could be wrong, but most likely I'm not. We see this stuff everyday in the marine industry where the boat builder or other party used the cheapest electrical components and the tarnished brass blocks any electrical connection from getting to where it is supposed to go. Again FWIW

P
Nov 28, 2007
Odessa, WA
Exhaust temp sensor voltage to high code

Yes I ended up ordering 6 from wayatek. Not knowing for sure on the NAPA one I did not go with it.

MH NOTE: I moved the second topic of this post, Has anyone seen the code SPN 173 FM 3 exhaust temp sensor voltage too high? to its own thread to keep this thread on track... and that is a great topic for it's own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features