• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INEXPENSIVE REPLACEMENT SIDE PANEL ALTERNATIVE

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Looks to me like there is a unique, Black, made of HDPE, $60each (OR LESS) side panel that was avail on one sled for one year. (2013 600 indy).

These are different than the NORMAL painted versions on all of the Pro Chassis RMK's (Pro and "standard" RMK models).
All of the other PRO-Chassis side panels are made of TPO (Thermo Plastic Olefin) ... and are paintable... HDPE is very difficult to paint.... and when painted, does not stick well when the panel is flexed or beaten on.... so don't plan on painting... (for you paint Gurus... I know it is "possible" but is in not practical nor inexpensive and you must have profressional equipment...I'll concede that)

HDPE is a completely different kind of plastic than the more common and more expensive TPO panels... but since all of the mating parts are the same, except for colors, on the other sleds... no fit issues.

Panels are Black HDPE...This is the same plastic that PRO belly pans are made of... or, if you had an IQ-RMK...(Dragon etc)... this is what the side panels were made of on that. The black would have the same texture and look as the bellypan.
Great for wraps too.

Price is approx $50 - $60 per side (amazing price).
Michelle at Oregon Trail Sports just sold me them for $48 each side ($96 for both)

Great if you like the all black "murdered out" look OR... you are putting on a graphics kit and want to save your originals.

1ea Panel, Side, RH, HDPE, Black item: 5439283-070

1ea Panel, Side, LH, HDPE, Black item: 5439282-070

You will have to re-use your vents and hardware... and put some heat foil or buy the polaris stuff for these panels as they come bare and with NO graphics.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
This thread would have been awesome before I acquired my collection of other panels. Especially when just postage to AK is ~$120.00.

Still great news for those that use them for bumpers while logging!

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
Regarding wrapping in vynil plastics like this. These are Low Surface Energy Plastics - LSEP (ployethilene, polypropylene, etc.), and they're almost impossible to paint, but very possible to wrap. Vynil wouldn`t hold to LSEP, unless you use High Tac vynil with 3M adhesion promoter.
OR!
You can temporarely change surface physics of LSEP by torching it. This must be done with smooth passes of torch flame tip, and not exposing plastic to high temperature for more than 3 seconds. Effectiveness of this treatment can be checked with drop of water - if it doesn`t roll away, it`s good.
You have to wipe LSEP with degreaser within 20 minutes, and aplly vynil within 45-60 minutes. Then it will stay for long time...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Same plastic, same mfg/supplier as the PRO hoods and bellypans.

I agree with SU... give them a good wipe of wax grease remover or use a good degreaser and hot water... Graphics will stick more reliably.

This is the same plastic that he IQ chassis side panels are made from and many others... all of the major wrap companies products have stuck very well to this plastic... as you can see by the factory graphics that are applied in the photo above. (those can be difficult to remove at times)

Good luck.

Regarding wrapping in vynil plastics like this. These are Low Surface Energy Plastics - LSEP (ployethilene, polypropylene, etc.), and they're almost impossible to paint, but very possible to wrap. Vynil wouldn`t hold to LSEP, unless you use High Tac vynil with 3M adhesion promoter.
OR!
You can temporarely change surface physics of LSEP by torching it. This must be done with smooth passes of torch flame tip, and not exposing plastic to high temperature for more than 3 seconds. Effectiveness of this treatment can be checked with drop of water - if it doesn`t roll away, it`s good.
You have to wipe LSEP with degreaser within 20 minutes, and aplly vynil within 45-60 minutes. Then it will stay for long time...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOPE... That pic you show is of an INDY "SP" model like AK Full Throttle said... that has painted glossy panels...

Go to your garage...have a look at your nosepan (AKA nosecone) on your your sled... It is the exact same plastic as that is made of.
Also the same as in AK Full Throttle's pic of the base model.

here is a pic of 2013 indy 600. is this the side panel you are talking about?
thx

2013-Polaris-600-Indy-SP-Ski-A-arm.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features