• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HPS cans

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Lol. Maybe at sea level.

Just be happy for the weight loss. But KEEP IN MIND!! Quiet exhausts will be the best for everyone !!

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I've seen somewhere where the claim from HPS was "up to 5 hp in the midrange and 1-2 hp peak". Rich Daly who owns Dynaport has a great video on You Tube (sorry, I don't have the link) that gives the straight scoop on cans. Lighter weight - yes, louder sound - yes, more power - mmm... watch the video.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
At what elevation!?

I ride my mountain sleds at mountain elevations. 8-13,000ft.

I don’t give a rats azz what power a mountain sled with a mountain can makes at “corrected” numbers. Give us REAL NUMBERS! At the elevations a mountain sled rides.

No one has the balls to give those numbers. No one!!!!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
At what elevation!?

I ride my mountain sleds at mountain elevations. 8-13,000ft.

I don’t give a rats azz what power a mountain sled with a mountain can makes at “corrected” numbers. Give us REAL NUMBERS! At the elevations a mountain sled rides.

No one has the balls to give those numbers. No one!!!!

Probably not many dyno cells at 13k ft.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I’m not even sure when mountain riders started buying into the hp gains from cans and pipes came from. But wow!!! What a gravy train these pipe and can guys have had with it!!!

Good ol. Noise equals power trick I guess.

Don’t get me wrong. A twin pipe set up with a free breathing can running at 3000’- 0’ elevation is Gunna scream and add lots of HP too. Some even seen nice gains at 5-6000ft. But from where I’m from. We don’t unload until 8000ft. Good snow starts at 9000ft. And the great stuff is between 9 and 12000ft. I dare you Try to even create enough pressure to run twin pipes at 8000+ft. You’ll be loosing power. But it’ll sound Kewl!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Al in Revy used to drag the chassis dyno to the hills to work on clutching, that's the only effort I know of to factor in the true power loss. Someone must have a dyno at a shop above 6-7K.
Clutching/RPM is a good indicator of power gain/loss...at least at peak RPM. Probably not able to tell 2-3, but if you drop a couple hundred rpm, same conditions, temps, elev., that's a good indication it dropped power. Have seen that a number of times, swap silencers and RPM is back.
HPS has been one of the few that seems to work as good or better than stock, at least at the elevations I ride....typically 4-7K.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Al in Revy used to drag the chassis dyno to the hills to work on clutching, that's the only effort I know of to factor in the true power loss. Someone must have a dyno at a shop above 6-7K.
Clutching/RPM is a good indicator of power gain/loss...at least at peak RPM. Probably not able to tell 2-3, but if you drop a couple hundred rpm, same conditions, temps, elev., that's a good indication it dropped power. Have seen that a number of times, swap silencers and RPM is back.
HPS has been one of the few that seems to work as good or better than stock, at least at the elevations I ride....typically 4-7K.

Great info.

And with that last post. I love where this thread is headed.

Premium Features