• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air riffle hand pumps for refiling Avy tanks??

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Has anyone ever used the hand pumps that are made for refilling air rifle tanks to use on their BCA avy tanks??? Is it feasible to use? It would be nice to have in the trailer incase I snag my handle on another tree or my running boards.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
I have a Taousa pump that I bought off Amazon. I also bought a drier/filter. It works but by no means fast. If I remember right it took something like 212 pumps to fill a canister. Also it does take some effort to run it.

I bought it for the same reason. Just in case something happens I don't have to drive into town and find an open parts store or firehouse with someone around.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
any issues with moisture on these hand pumps? I remember that was the concern when people first started to use hand pumps for avy packs..... i saw one pump with a drier attached for 250$.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
I really didn't have any issue. I ran the filter/drier. The pump does build heat just like your shop air compressor. I just made sure to stop when things started to get warm. I checked the filter when I got done and it was hardly damp.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I have a Taousa pump that I bought off Amazon. I also bought a drier/filter. It works but by no means fast. If I remember right it took something like 212 pumps to fill a canister. Also it does take some effort to run it.

I bought it for the same reason. Just in case something happens I don't have to drive into town and find an open parts store or firehouse with someone around.

I assume this is what you got: https://www.amazon.com/Taousa-Airgu...&qid=1506352669&sr=1-1&keywords=PCP+tank+pump

Did it come with the correct fittings to connect to the canister? Would you purchase the air drier attachment again or not?

I bought one from.http://www.pyramydair.com/ it was $150.00 and had all the fittings for a BCA tank. It takes about 10 minutes of steady work to fill a tank. We keep it in the trailer as we have had some leak down during the season or summer.

It would probably work really well for just topping off a tank that leaked down a bit. I figure that there's usually some idle time at the end of the day where I could be refilling a tank back in the hotel. Even for that annual test, it's not that big of a deal to fill 1 tank IMHO.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
Yep, that's the one. It had everything I needed and then some. I would get the drier/moisture filter. I do think it helps, there was moisture trapped there.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I use a Benjamin pump with Sun Optics desiccant chamber attached. Pump is around $130 on Amazon.com Chamber is under $40. Mike Duffy

Works great, will get you in shape for snowmobile season. Honestly, just pump at a steady pace and no problem. Great to have for traveling and topping off canisters. We had it at Hay Days and used it all weekend at the BCA booth.

Premium Features