• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 Polaris 700 RMK Engine Issue

W
May 27, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I have a 1997 Polaris 700 RMK that has been running pretty good for the most part. She is one of my back up sleds and has 3000 miles on the engine. I took her for a ride on sunday and got perhaps a quarter mile from the snowpark running perhaps 6000 rpm's on the tac and suddenly I hear a pop and the engine over revs and she stops in her tracks. I found out that the primary clutch came off of the crank and the bolt that holds the PC to the crank was not sheared off thank goodness. When I placed the primary clutch back on and tried threading the mounting bolt onto the crank the crank turned not allowing me to tighten the bolt. The engine did not seize. Is there cause for concern? The question I have is perhaps the crank snapped or maybe something else? Any answers would help before I have to tear into the engine.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
You will have to hold the clutch from spinning to tighten the bolt that holds it to the crank shaft, otherwise you will just be turning the motor over. I do this, I wrap a ratchet strap to it then hook the handlebars. Make sure you use the proper torque. IIRC it's 92 ft-lbs. Also, use blue loc tite. Seems weird that that bolt came out though....unless it wasn't loc tited before and properly torqued

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
The bolt ?

Compare the broken bolt pieces it to the new one.

Is there still a piece in the Crank ?

The Bolt is pretty long, did you get it all ?

Premium Features