• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front feels way to heavy!

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
New here to snowest, please bear with me so I'll explain what I got going on and see if I can find help.
Not new to sleds but new to the 4s turbo. I have a 2014 M9000 Ltd, all stock.
Front shocks were at like 150 psi, way too high.
Stock skis, I know they blow...
Rear float was at 150 psi as well and I am not really sure on preload for front rear skid shock.

Sled handles like **** and I have all I can do to turn the thing... Help me understand what I need to do to make this machine feel somewhat fun to ride.
As of right now, I want it gone and I'm going to a pro rmk!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The front feels heavy because it is. I'd start by stiffening the front track shock and putting some of that weight to the skid and soften the rear track shock to help it transfer it to the rear. This will lighten the front but also cause it to trench more. Drop the pressure in the front ski shocks that will help it roll more and a little easier to turn.

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Thanks for that info. I also read on here that going to the 16 model year a arms and spindles helps lot.
I love the power but like I stated the handling is terrible. Maybe I'm trying to do the wrong type of riding? Powerline and backwoods and really I need to get this sled in 7 feet of snow at 9000k elevation?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I spent most of a season riding a four stroke because my main riding buddie decided to buy one and he could just not ride it. Things are tough all around for any tight technical riding. They want to head into every treewell, off camber situations are rough, sidehilling becomes a fight for your life sometimes. Unless you are riding open rolling areas or point and shoot you are gonna have to use quite a bit more effort and energy than your buddies on a 2 stroke. Instead of it reacting to your input it's almost like you are fighting with your wife trying to get her to do what you want;)

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
OK... When you put it like that I understand. It's going to do what it wants anyways. I guess by tighting up the front skid shock, will that help that much? I honestly don't care about trenching, I like in Upper MI, so 3 to 4 of snow is max for me... I just want to be able to steer the thing. Like my original thoughts where if this thing was this hard to steer from factory how did they sell any?? Sure, at 301kg (663lbs), it's considerably heavier then anything else out there but I didn't think it would be this bad.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Think of your sled as a teeter/totter and the front track shock is in the center. With the front track shock stiffened it puts more weight in the middle and less off the front and rear. Lessening the pressure in the rear track shock lets the sled tip towards the rear of the sled taking weight off the front ski's. When you give the sled throttle inertia causes weight to go towards the rear, with a stiff front track shock and a loose rear shock it allows the weight from the front of the sled to "transfer" to the rear. Well not actually the weight but where the weight is supported.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
How to fix,

Sell it, but an m8000, make a few changes and ride circles around the pro.

4 strokes are the dumbest thing on the snow. I can still make them do crazy stuff but why. I hate them with a passion.

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
I ride one too. It's very heavy! Loose that muffler, replace skis, tallest riser you can grab. Drop air in rear, will help shift that weight. Other stuff helps a little.... Sled will always be heavy, you will learn to ride it. Every ride is a challenge! But squeeze right hand, be rewarded!!!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I don't think anyone mentioned ski alignment. Check your ski alignment and make sure it is within spec, slightly toed out (1/8"). If the skis are toed in, or too far out, they will be difficult to steer.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Front skid arm

It was recommended that I lower the front skid mounting point on my
M1000 to lighten the front, is it possible to do the same on these 4 strokes?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Front track shock spring

Some guys have put a heavier/stiffer spring on the front track shock.
There's some info in the Yamaha viper section about what size of spring to buy.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
A arms

Cats A arms do work good.
So do skinz and barcode A arms.
Barcode A arms are a little cheaper and you can use the stock shocks and stock spindles your sled came with.
There's lots of info on handling here and in the yamha viper or yamha 4 stoke section.

blackjack85335

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Love the 4 stroke.

4 strokes will be heavier overall but once you get the suspension dialed in its a different animal. I have a M8 that's piped n got most every bolt on mod I can find short of a turbo or big bore kit on it but it's nothing like my turbo 4 stroke. Im selling the m8 and keeping the m1100. I'm having a barcode front end installed along with a tki belt drive next week. Im sure its going to change how the sled handles in a night n day difference. I can still ride the trees but when it comes to the big hills I can go where others only dream of. I have to work more riding the 4 stroke but it's worth the effort to have so much torque available and go wherever I feel like. It's a personal preference and not for everyone. Either you can ride a 4 stroke or it rides you.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
1. stiffen front track shock
2. soften rear track shock
3. soften front ski shocks
4. get the 2016 front end kit and new skis

that will greatly improve your sleds handling, wont be a 2 stroke by any means but it should help alot

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
New here to snowest, please bear with me so I'll explain what I got going on and see if I can find help.
Not new to sleds but new to the 4s turbo. I have a 2014 M9000 Ltd, all stock.
Front shocks were at like 150 psi, way too high.
Stock skis, I know they blow...
Rear float was at 150 psi as well and I am not really sure on preload for front rear skid shock.

Sled handles like **** and I have all I can do to turn the thing... Help me understand what I need to do to make this machine feel somewhat fun to ride.
As of right now, I want it gone and I'm going to a pro rmk!

You need a heavier center shock spring. It's recommended putting a 160 to 180lb spring from Zbrozracing out of Logan, UT. I bought a 205lb spring and run 190lbs in the rear shock. I like my rear stiff....rough on trailers but great for the mountains. For better handling I went with a 16 front end....it's great. These changes made my sled work very well and fun to ride. You need to decide if you want to keep it or not. I personally like them but most don't.

J
Jan 7, 2016
4 strokes will be heavier overall but once you get the suspension dialed in its a different animal. I have a M8 that's piped n got most every bolt on mod I can find short of a turbo or big bore kit on it but it's nothing like my turbo 4 stroke. Im selling the m8 and keeping the m1100. I'm having a barcode front end installed along with a tki belt drive next week. Im sure its going to change how the sled handles in a night n day difference. I can still ride the trees but when it comes to the big hills I can go where others only dream of. I have to work more riding the 4 stroke but it's worth the effort to have so much torque available and go wherever I feel like. It's a personal preference and not for everyone. Either you can ride a 4 stroke or it rides you.

Yup! Barcode a-arms! Completely new animal!! Ive go them on the Viper, your going to love it!

B
Feb 9, 2012
Sweden
If you planning on replacing your skid you could try this one, i did a template from 2015 m8000 and moved the mounting Point. Lighter feel on the steering and more skilift, there is probably much more in this gemetry change than i understand but there is much more tecnicaly savy peoply in this forum that could explain this.
Did it on my 2012 m1100, i Think your skid could look different. Dont forget to make new outer stifening plate.
20170108_203208_1.jpg

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Skid mounting hole

In that picture, I take it the mounting wholes are moved down? What benefits do you gain from that? More front track pressure? And isn't there a company that makes stiffener brackets for the rails?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I ride one too. It's very heavy! Loose that muffler, replace skis, tallest riser you can grab. Drop air in rear, will help shift that weight. Other stuff helps a little.... Sled will always be heavy, you will learn to ride it. Every ride is a challenge! But squeeze right hand, be rewarded!!!

Tallest riser? Wtf are you smoking. Do not do that!

Premium Features