• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 rmk 800 headlight goes out or very dim when i squeeze brake lever

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
I removed seat and checked all wires towardsthe the brakelight assy. for breakage or chaffing,could not find anything,when harness is unplugged from under seat and i squeeze brake lever headlight works,i did install new wire harness last year after my broken belt sucked it into the clutch,so I can assume that at least the wires are good in the harness.fluke meter tells me that the brake lever switch is working properly,any advise would be appreciated.Thanks Crank.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It has to be shorting out the lighting circuit to ground when you squeeze the brake lever. Have you pulled the bulb to check the tail light socket itself for a possible short across the brake light contacts?
If you pull the bulb you should get an open circuit when looking back towards the tail light with your meter.

Last edited:
R

rmk4ever

Sep 18, 2009
Does that yr have the gen II brake -high/dim / warmers all in one? I'd be looking in there, they are known to crap out

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Does that yr have the gen II brake -high/dim / warmers all in one? I'd be looking in there, they are known to crap out
I removed seat and checked all wires towardsthe the brakelight assy. for breakage or chaffing,could not find anything,when harness is unplugged from under seat and i squeeze brake lever headlight works,i did install new wire harness last year after my broken belt sucked it into the clutch,so I can assume that at least the wires are good in the harness.fluke meter tells me that the brake lever switch is working properly,any advise would be appreciated.Thanks Crank.

Because of the bold I don't think it is in the left handlebar circuitry.

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
I will check the bulb contacts,I noticed that my speedo light is not working as well,I do not know if this is tied into the brake light circuit,in the the speedo the break light indicator light works,but the overall gauge lamp light is not working.thanks for the replies guys I do appreciate it.

Premium Features