• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with snow bike

I rode a couple different MH kits last year and decided its time to buy one. so I pulled the trigger on that now its time to set the bike up. My bike is a 2012 YZF450 and I need to know all what aftermarket parts you guys would recommend, Here is a list of what I am thinking so far if you dont think I need something on the list let me know or any other input would be appreciated.

Thermo-Bob t-stat
Headlight or helmet kit????
Fastway pegs
Heat Demon hand warmers
Skid Plate
Pre filter for intake
Pre filter material to cover Radiators
Radiator Gaurds
In line water coolent temp gauge
2" bar risers(anyone know if any cables need to be extended)
mountain addiction 3.3 gal gas can.
BD turbo kit (wife said I have to wait till next year for that)

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
These's lots of threads on yz setup stuff in this forum. A 2" riser maynot work. I have 1 1/2" and the clutch cable is barely long enough.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Covering the engine will go a long way to helping temps and keeping oil moving. Draxxus had a thread that showed a pretty nice engine cover.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
e5e7u6y5.jpg
baqe7apu.jpg
e4adabeg.jpg

Cover I built for my buddies 11 Yz
No thermostat and temps have been quite stable but we haven't risen in anything very deep yet . We also run radiator blocks that can slip infront of the rad if it gets fluffy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
If I may ask, Why the bar risers? In the dirt the tall bars/risers is for dual sports and goon riders. Just curious

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Not in the dirt. Seems to help weight transfer(and gives my old back a better riding position).

Really like the engine cover idea. Just got some heat demon hand warmers installed, they seem to work great and very easy clean install. I like the bar risers as a better position being 6'5". May try seeing how the temps run for a few rides before ordering a t-stat. Keep any other tips or ideas coming please.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Really like the engine cover idea. Just got some heat demon hand warmers installed, they seem to work great and very easy clean install. I like the bar risers as a better position being 6'5". May try seeing how the temps run for a few rides before ordering a t-stat. Keep any other tips or ideas coming please.

Heres a thread on other home made engine covers too. http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359851
I also have a 2" riser on my bars just had to move all my controls in a bit so the cables weren't to tight. If you go the engine cover route you shouldn't need a t-stat IMO.

Premium Features