• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

InReach or SOS

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I have the spot connect. It tethers with your smart phone to send personalized messages to you contact lists. I've had it about a year and it's worked very well sending messages back home from remote hunting areas. Rode with a guy last year with the InReach. It worked very well sending and receiving messages from remote ground. I think the InReach is better because it uses the better satellite system, but it's considerably more money. Like I said, the Spot has worked well for me.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Someone correct me if my memory doesn't serve..........

I believe the InReach, from what I've read, might be more reliable in certain conditions and at least as reliable in all other conditions.

The Spot (basic unit) has a huge advantage in my view because if you have the tracking feature activated, you're route can be viewed on-line by family and friends. If you fail to show up, or if for some reason you can't get reception, they can at least look at your track on the computer and know approx. where you are. Also, if for some reason you are unable to push the button to send a signal, the track is like a backup source of info as to where you might be.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I believe the in reach also has a tracking feature with the added feature of two way texting. I use the SPOT but two way would be nice if in an emergency situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I had a spot for several years and upgraded to inReach and now work with them, the inreach SE is the one to get as it is now a stand alone unit, you can use your android or iphone to send everything via bluetooth but the problem with bluetooth to phones is phones have crap battery life. The inReach SE allows you to track, send messages back and forth and it works globally off the iridium sat network which is way faster than the spot, one of my biggest issues with spot is that it took sometimes 15 minutes to send a message...not good!

vids below

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I am getting the InReach because of it's stand alone nature. I have enough problems with phones in the backcountry with my IcanthearyouPhone and I don't want to have to rely on my phone at all in these situation. The Spot connect had some issues syncing with phones so I sold them. The new owners do seem to be happy with them though. BTW, dont mess with Norona, I have him fully trained up as a steely eyed dealer of death!

Premium Features