• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering Post Removal M7

S
Sep 16, 2010
Bent my steering post last ride on my M7, looks like I'm lucky and the bulkhead is still unharmed. What is the quickest way to swap the new one in?

D
Sep 17, 2009
Foam Lake SK Canada
-Remove your bars from the post
-Remove the heat sheild plate on the triangle shaped frame, and pay attention to the location of your wires. depends how the wiring is in there, you might have to cut some ties and re-fasten them later.
-Remove the bolt that holds your steering arm to the post
-remove the 2 nuts in front of the post at the top off that triangle shaped frame
-remove the bolts on each side of the triangle shaped frame. There's two on each side.
-Then there's a nut that holds your post down to your bulkead. Look in front of your track drivers. You'll need an extension.

Once that is done pull the old post out and put the new one in. When you put it back together make sure your alignment is good. Just adjust it with your steering arm.

It's not a tough job.

S
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, that post had me worried. Mine still looks OK though, no cracks or anything. With the hit it took I'm amazed it didn't break anything further down.

M
Oct 20, 2009
When you have it apart, take one half of the steering post clamp and sand it down with a belt sander to take up the slop in the steering post. Or put in the BDX anti-slop kit.

Premium Features