• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage regulator Q's

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
09 rmk.
the voltage reads around 1 or 2 bars down from the top.
but from time to time while riding, the hole voltage level reader just starts flashing?
what does this mean??
thanks in advance

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Does it drop in bars before it's starts flashing? That what mime did two rides before my vr went out. It would read normal, 1 to 2 bars from the top then it would drop down to no bars and start flashing. Then it went out and took out my ecu and left me stranded. I had to be towed back. Is it under warranty, and how is your dealer? See if you can get them to replace it. I think it's on it's way out.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
This what happened to me on Friday.
-Nothing shows on the dash at idle, dash is completely blank nothing showing.
Then once you get under way it lights up again and starts reading again (whatever it's set on rpm, temp etc...)

^ this happens occasionally, not every time though.
Sometimes when you start the sled it dosent read anything at idle,(once underway riding it starts to read info) but sometimes when you start it does read info on the tach.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Sorry to answer your question I do believe the bar was near the bottom when it/ just before it started flashing.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
This what happened to me on Friday.
-Nothing shows on the dash at idle, dash is completely blank nothing showing.
Then once you get under way it lights up again and starts reading again (whatever it's set on rpm, temp etc...)

^ this happens occasionally, not every time though.
Sometimes when you start the sled it dosent read anything at idle,(once underway riding it starts to read info) but sometimes when you start it does read info on the tach.

Your sled is showing the exact same symptoms that my did right before the vr went out. When my was doing this I would turn off the hand warmers and high beams when idling and it would help. Thought it was weird but never took it to the dealer. Then next ride out it did the same thing every once in awhile. Then one time when idling the display when black instead of flashing. Then the sled died. I got it started and ran for a little bit, then it would die at idle. Then it died and wouldn't start. Then I got to enjoy a nice tow out. Vr was dead and ecu was gone. If you don't get it fixed, ie. new vr, next time out take a tow rope with you, you will need it. Your voltage reg is going out, soon to follow your ecu. Your volts shouldn't drop like that.

Last edited:

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Would relocating the voltage reg help??
I've heard of guys relocating them so they run cooler

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Is the new vr from Polaris improved?
And not gonna overheat and fry my ecu..

Premium Features