• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage Regulator

K
Sep 19, 2009
I was riding my 05 Iqr with a 07 600ho down the driveway and it started poping and backfireing and lost power then just quit. It would not start back up so I pulled it into the shop to see what is up. I remember reading one time that one guy found that his tail light was bunt up on his IQR and made the sled misfire. So I checked my bulb and found it was blown. I replaced the bulb and got the sled to fire and run fine in the shop. I found that the wires going into my brake swith were broke and touching each other I also checked my voltage Regulator it makes 14 volts at idle and then at 5000 RPM I'm down to 9 volts. So I ordered a new switch and Regulator. The Polaris Tech told me that it shold not have effected the way it runs unless it's back feeding. Before I found the short the Regulator show up to 20 volts!! Does any one think I have other problems? It is the stock 440 body wiring harnes and 600ho CDI enging wiring.I think I have it figured out but I would like someones input.
Thanks!!!!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
That is a pretty common issue. I just went through the same thing on an iqr I am working on with a 700ves motor in it. The tach would not work right above about 4000rpm either. I put a new voltage regulator on it and problem solved on both the lights and the tach. I have gone through many vr's on my edge chassis rmks as well.

However, the eletrical circuts that make the engine run and function are seperate from the lighting system. A new or blown for that matter vr should not affect the way that the engine runs.

K
Sep 19, 2009
Why would it not even start then a little later "after I change the bulb"
it starts on one pull??? I hate wiring I thought some how it all feeds together is that possable at all? There are so many variables I just seem to be a Electrical problem to me . I'm not questioning your knowlege I just trying to find the problem and fix it. Thank you so much for input.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Maybe a bad ground issue goinig on somewhere? Polaris is terrible at wires that get rubbed/broken. That is my biggest beef with them. Check it ove close. Good luck. I hate electrical issues as well if that makes you feel any better. :beer;

Premium Features