• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Procross Brake rotor swap, Does skid need to come out?

J
Jan 7, 2017
I have a new light weight BDX rotor sitting on the shelf and would like to put it on, I have had the rotor off my sled before but at the time I had the skid out and the chain case apart. Can I do this with out having to pull all of that apart? If not I will weight until I drain chain case apart as I have already serviced it for the season. Thanks

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
No I've done a couple it's like a 20-30 min swap it's been a while but if I remember correctly remove the secondary clutch, the gaurd around the rotor, and the caliper to get to the rotor

J
Jan 7, 2017
I have a new bearing for the Brake side also, If I remember right the bearing was a part or right behind the caliper so I should be able to change that also while in there? Loosen track tension?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
could you post a review of the rotor after a few rides? its been on my list for a while I just don't want to find it eats brake pads faster or somethin.

J
Jan 7, 2017
Any thoughts on how the the bearing fits the shaft fairly loose? IF I remember right last time it was off it was more then I am used to.

J
Jan 7, 2017
<hr style="color:#323232; background-color:#323232" size="1"> I went to change my Rotor to a BDX Light weight, The drive shaft bearing when held to one side has an 1/8th gap. It is plain to see about a 1/16th wore off all around the shaft. The bearing itself feels fine ( New bearing I have for it feels stiff ) I could also see a lot of metal dust after I took the caliper off. When I greased the bearing last year I did not like how loose it fit so I was going to peen it this time but there is no saving this one.

I ordered a new shaft kit from cat from the 2013 parts page it comes with bearings seals and hardware, do you guys know if the new shaft and bearings fit better? DO I need to peen it? Should I add more grease to the bearing before installing? I had to split the chain case which I had just serviced. Anything I should check before installing?
Should I peen the new shaft? Not sure how tight bearing should feel on it.

Thanks

J
Jan 7, 2017
So I had to pull the skid on my 15 4000 RR to put the 4 th wheel kit in, Well what do you know same issue as my 800, not as bad but it was on its way, Tried to peen it but just was to far gone. The bearing wore a deep groove into the rotor so new shaft and rotor on its way.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I don't understand why that bearing (which you said feels good) is machining the shaft. The shaft is spinning in the race, but there's no reason for it to be UNLESS this is old damaged from a previous bearing failure.....

You could use bearing retaining compound

J
Jan 7, 2017
Peening I think is the better solution , Bearing retaining compound will make it hard to get off, not the best place to get a puller on or heat. Just needs a little bit to hold inner race.

Premium Features