• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MonoRail strength?

B

Boondockingak

Interesting my dealer says cat is blaming "loose track tension" on some of the rail failures. Thats one of the things they wanted to know when they warrantied my rail, how many times I had adjusted my track. They say they recommend checking/adjusting track tension after every ride for the first 300 miles. Don't see how a loose track can break a rail, but that's what I was told.

I know that everybody for the most part likely trusts their dealer, but I really do trust mine. I don't know if what he was told from the big wigs at Cat is correct or not, but he was told that it has more to due with different batches of rails. He was saying that the some of the tooling from the builder was swapped at some point, and that they were fabricating some holes different sizes then they should. Hard to say. He has sold a pile of them, and so far only has a couple with issues. Apparently they haven't had any issues with warranty, and they were swapped out wicked fast.

Classic he said she said stuff.... Time will tell.

I'm still in good shape with no issues, and man is it fun.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I know that everybody for the most part likely trusts their dealer, but I really do trust mine. I don't know if what he was told from the big wigs at Cat is correct or not, but he was told that it has more to due with different batches of rails. He was saying that the some of the tooling from the builder was swapped at some point, and that they were fabricating some holes different sizes then they should. Hard to say. He has sold a pile of them, and so far only has a couple with issues. Apparently they haven't had any issues with warranty, and they were swapped out wicked fast.

Classic he said she said stuff.... Time will tell.

I'm still in good shape with no issues, and man is it fun.

yup agreed... I know for a fact they went through several versions...including prep and powder coating ....not getting it to adhere properly

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
Not sure what to think of it yet. Idk if it’s the glue( if it’s glued?)that is coming apart and cracking it. Doesn’t look like the metal is cracked but the paint def is. Has anyone else seen this? It’s only on the one side.

1C7E33AC-EEE7-42B4-AC50-D0C2CEFC9474.jpeg 3A041913-829F-4545-B598-291A1FAFF1FD.jpeg

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
yup agreed... I know for a fact they went through several versions...including prep and powder coating ....not getting it to adhere properly

yup on the powder coat. I peeled my Alpha off of the rail as soon as I got the sled home and like a second layer of powder coat came off with it!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The rails definitely break pretty easy.

Here’s one at a local rental company.

77c0d601217b8ff29de1b1ca8fb8e16f.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It’s only got a couple hundred miles on it.

I didn’t even rent the 154 yet only the 165. ����

Can’t blame me for that one!!!

(FWIW that’s the second rail they have broken on the 154)

Last edited:

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
not an engineer but seems like another material would have more flex/whatever that is called in engineering world.

yeah, not an engineer...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wouldn't billet aluminum be better? or is billet too trick for AC. im surprised nobody is making a billet uni-rail yet. patents my @ss...
edit: not an engineer either except on the keyboard:)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The cast aluminum will never last.

Forged is somewhat better. (Will bend without breaking)

A full billet rail would be insanely expensive. (But plenty strong)
An assembly of billet machined pieces bonded together would probably be the most cost effective. (Strongest vs $)

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I have seen one personally crack, way up front by the anti stab wheels. Was a nasty hit from a rock, deformed a driver, and left a nice scar in the belly pan and cooler. Mine is still in one piece, 400milesof abuse. I’ve hit a few things that made me cringe and I thought for sure I would be a broke rail alpha guy, so far I’m okay tho. Hope it stays that way. It’s a fun sled to ride and the system works awesome no doubt. A little more strength wouldn’t hurt it any but I’m sold on the system. Funnest sled to date for me and wicked capable.

Premium Features