• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any tricks to getting the top shock mount stud out?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm talking about the carriage bolt that the top of the ski shocks mount to.
It looks like I need to pull all the plastic off the front. There's gotta be a better way.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Top shock stud

I could be wrong but it is pressed into the top of the chassis and is not support to come out. Why are you removing it? Bent? shock should slide right off of the stud. You should not need to remove much to pull shock. Maybe a few belly pan screws out of the area and slide off.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Heat the bulkhead area up just a bit and the hit it with a hammer. It will come right out. Put the new stud in the freezer for a couple hours. Heat the bulkhead up, and then tap the new stud in. They are replaceable and are a wear item.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
There's nothing wrong with it, I just thought it was a carriage bolt that I could replace with a slightly longer one. I put some KYB shocks on from a T3 (with 36" front end from alt impact) because I'm tired of throwing money at those crappy floats. The bushing and mount width on the KYBs is just a hair more. Enough that I can't get a good purchase with the stock stud and nut.

So that's actually a stud with a splined shaft and not a carriage bolt?

alternate question: how do you get the bushings out of a kyb shock? :D

They don't press out (at least not easily) and look like they're incased in some rubberized stuff to allow the shock to move side to side a little.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Cant speak to the sled shock bushing but the one from my vehicle was bonded to the rubber and not meant to come out.

The KYB ones are in a rubberized bushing. I got motivated and pressed it out. It's a single piece consisting of an outer bushing, a rubber layer/filler and then a much smaller bushing. Definitely a complete pressed in piece (I was surprised)

At least I know it comes out in one piece. I've just gotta find the right combo of reducers now.

Premium Features