• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 new X3 clutching recommendations

C
Nov 8, 2015
Ok installed a x3 on my sled Friday rode it Saturday and it is an incredibley different sled it just keeps crawling unlike the stock 2.25 that would lose speed and trench out. Only thing I noticed was the low track speed on powder climbs 30-32mph I'm probably only about 8000rpm as well was hard to tell as snow was deep. I'm looking for advise to try and squeeze some more speed out of it. Lower Gears, stiffer primary spring,heavier or lighter weights different secondary spring or helix ect. Not looking for major stuff but smaller clutch upgrades. It a 2010 M8 162" stock sled with a supper q can and C&A BX skis I'm a bigger guy 230 with gear. Thanks in advance!!!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Find out what your running for clutch components. M's normally come with the lowest gearing available for the ACT drive so I'd look into getting some lighter clutch weights or you can try a primary spring with a high finish rate. Check out the Gold/white CPC spring

C
Nov 8, 2015
Find out what your running for clutch components. M's normally come with the lowest gearing available for the ACT drive so I'd look into getting some lighter clutch weights or you can try a primary spring with a high finish rate. Check out the Gold/white CPC spring

Running yellow white primary, orange secondary and 68g cat weights.

C
Nov 8, 2015
So say I go from 8k rpm to 8200 how much track speed can I expect to gain if any. I've always thought that my primary weights were a tad heavy but it runs hard so never changed. So if I drop down to say 65g or 66gram weights and get my rpm to 8200-8300 what negative affects can I expect.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
as ultrasks700 said, I would try a primary spring with a 310 or 320 finish lb. I think if your hitting 8000 you are so close.
I find my 11 M8 if the weights are to heavy I can tell right away with just seat of pants and engine tone, but it will pull 7950 hard but bad back shift and it will not pull out of it and gain rpm. I find if I can pull 8050 right away it will gain 75rpm in a climb 8125, max 100rpm 8150.
Yes I have seen 8200 many times but when its hooked and pulling is what Im taliking about.
The 2010 is already geared 2.65.
You might what to consider the open end helix so you can fine tune your secondary spring pressure for varying snow conditions.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Lighter weights will make it feel like it has less pull to it. the 3 inch track will never run the same track speed as a 2.6 or 2.250 on a given sled your moving more snow so just saying. there is a point of diminishing returns with a bigger paddle you have to decide what your really after. another note bad backshift could be to steep of helix or more often with the dd secondary clutch its wore out they go bad pretty quick and it will bind when it does your rpm will drop and not come back unless you let off the flipper and get back in it then your rpm will rise but now your going slower and so on.

Premium Features