• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sad Times... Summer is Coming...

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cedar City, UT
This has been my first winter with my own sled and it has been awesome. I am sad to see the winter snow pack melting. Being as this will be my "first" summer, I was wondering what all of you veterans do to summerize your sleds? I really don't want to have too many problems when the flakes fly in early fall.:D

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
heheh, i'm in the same boat you are. Definately not ready for the snow to disappear... but I am kind of itching to get on some buckin bulls this summer.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Drain all the fuel and run the sled dry. Replace the carb boots, get some new plugs, belt, and try not to leave your sled out side even if it has a cover on it and your ready for next winter. Or you can do like me and take your sled out water crossing all summer :D

Also, summer is a great time to get some mods for your sleds.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
This has been my first winter with my own sled and it has been awesome. I am sad to see the winter snow pack melting. Being as this will be my "first" summer, I was wondering what all of you veterans do to summerize your sleds? I really don't want to have too many problems when the flakes fly in early fall.:D

Spring service:
Clean sled & engine compartment, wax hood
Drain fuel & add stabil to tank.
Fog engine til it stops running.
Grease chassis.
Lube hyme joints.
Remove driven clutch & lube jack shaft.
Store sled covered in a cool dry place if possible-out of the sun a must.

Don't forget about Fall service.

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa
Spring service:
Clean sled & engine compartment, wax hood
Drain fuel & add stabil to tank.
Fog engine til it stops running.
Grease chassis.
Lube hyme joints.
Remove driven clutch & lube jack shaft.
Store sled covered in a cool dry place if possible-out of the sun a must.

I do just about everything he said.

Don't forget about Fall service.

If it's all greased up and shiny what do you do in the fall? I pull and go in the fall. Just curious

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I think I will worry about summer in about 2 months :)
But heres what I do.

Here is what I did and it worked for 4 years and 6k miles.

Fill the tank all the way up with 91 octane.
Fill the oil reservoir all the way up.
Put in stabill.

Pull the air box.
Fire the sled up and let it run 10-15 minutes to get the stabill down to the carbs.
Use the spray oil (I can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff but you can get it from any dealer). Spray directly into the carbs. One, then the other. Spray a liberal amount into each carb. Then spray enough into each carb till the engine dies.

Pull the plugs and spray a liberal amount into each hole. Then slowly pull the engine over to distribute the oil. (don't start it, make sure the key is off)
Put the plugs back in.
PUt the airbox back in.
Spray line lube into the throttle cables.
Remove the drive belt and toss it on the shelf. Lay if flat, don't hang it.

grease everything.
Elevate the rear of the sled and remove the torsion springs.

I like to block up the front and release tension on the front springs.

Armour all the seat and call it a year.

When you go to put the sled back in service in the fall syphin the gas out of the gas tank and run it in your truck. PUt fresh 91 octane fuel in the tank prior to starting it up to burn out the oil.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.

We've gotten 19" since yesterday and another 15-20" by tomorrow night. We'll be riding into June again easy! Last year was June 6th. I love the Cascades!

Aaron

S
Dec 13, 2007
Eagle, CO
snowing here in colorado today too. There is snow much snow here. burant thinks he may ride well in to late may and early june which is possible. so get out here and ride.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
fogging

Fogging is accomplished by feeding a rust preventative lubricant through the carburetor or throttle body, while the engine is running at about 1000 to 1200 RPMs and is thoroughly warmed up. Very slowly spray in the lubricant until lots of blue smoke comes out of the exhaust. This method will thoroughly coat the cylinders, rings, valve seats and valve stems. DO NOT spray the liquid in too quickly or you will "choke" the engine, causing combustion knock. Besides, too much liquid added at one time can cause hydrostatic lock in the cylinders and DESTROY your engine! Follow the fogging oil manufacturers' instructions!

And there you have it.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
snowing here in colorado today too. There is snow much snow here. burant thinks he may ride well in to late may and early june which is possible. so get out here and ride.

I rode 8" of fresh pow on Memorial day last year. Unless it gets freaky warm I see myself riding into mid June this year... :beer;

Premium Features