• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possible Payette & Boise Forest Snowmobile Restrictions

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Well, are you folks ready to give up your snowmobiles and go back to snowshoes and dog sleds?
Winter Wildland Alliance has filed a lawsuit against the Payette and Boise National Forests of Idaho and the Bridger-Teton National Forest of Wyoming in regards to their winter travel plans and the Alliance's version of endangered species.
Just read through the article on their "Latest from the WWA Policy Desk" on their website.
https://winterwildlands.org/the-late...a-policy-desk/
To my knowledge, the ISSA, Idaho State Snowmobile Association, is the only organization that has stood up to them. They are presently considering their options but funding is going to be needed to pay the attorneys. I don't know if Blue Ribbon Coalition will get involved, or not. Contact both of them and find out. If you do nothing you will get just that, nothing. No where to go and no place to ride.
Just thought you should know what is going on.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I'm not sure I understand their thinking...they just won a lawsuit, the FS changed the OVSUM, and now they're suing again? I'm missing something....

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Go to the "News" link on the banner at the top of the forum page and you will find the article pertaining to this lawsuit. Please take a few minutes to read this.
There is now an address to send funding for the legal fund.

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
If we lose on this lawsuit, all other national forests will have to follow suit and they will be closed to snowmobiling except for what trails they will allow us on. There will be no need for a "mountain sled", just a "trail sled".
The Idaho State Snowmobile Association, http://www.idahosnow.org/ ,has updated their website and now has a PayPal Account to their "Sled Warrior" legal fund. You can find the link halfway down the homepage. 100% of all funds in this account is used for legal fees. We have a huge battle ahead of us and any donation would be appreciated. Please share this with your riding buddies.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Payette Winter Travel Map Removal ?!?!?

This is the latest in the "never ending saga" of the winter travel plan law suit. "https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/payette/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD566803"
You need to go to this link which will take you to the Payette National Forest website. It pertains to the removal of the existing winter travel plan map due to the "intent to sue" by the preservationists.
Will be curious to see what/how the new order states the new intent and view the new map.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
"never ending saga" Exactly, in reality it seems it'll never end. There playing the long game, hell it's not even their money. I wouldn't be surprised to find if you drill down deep enough that taxpayers are somehow in a roundabout way funding these "lawsuits". Best to enjoy it while it last, face it, there organized and on a mission and they seem to be winning. Time for the manufacturers to get involved, it's not only happening in the west. No riding areas, no market to sell to, time to close the doors... simple as that

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
"never ending saga" Exactly, in reality it seems it'll never end. There playing the long game, hell it's not even their money. I wouldn't be surprised to find if you drill down deep enough that taxpayers are somehow in a roundabout way funding these "lawsuits". Best to enjoy it while it last, face it, there organized and on a mission and they seem to be winning. Time for the manufacturers to get involved, it's not only happening in the west. No riding areas, no market to sell to, time to close the doors... simple as that

It's called the Equal Access to Justice Act. It is an unregulated fund that reimburses 501(3c)'s and individuals that continually sue the federal government. It's why there are endless lawsuits. And the Boise National FS pulled the travel plan but is not announcing any changes pending the outcome of the lawsuit. Hopefully this dies in the beginning since they already won the lawsuit. They're suing because in their view "it's not enough" even though it is. If you have the means please donate or pay your dues if you haven't already. This one is going to drag on for a while.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah I re-up my ISSA membership every year, but the manufacturers are gonna have to get more involved in this battle, they have a pretty decent lobby, time to put them to work...

Premium Features