• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle Safety Switch?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Been seeing people experiencing various problems and it seems like the Throttle Safety Switch is often mentioned as a potential culprit.

What does this do and how does one disconnect it?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Do a search on his forum for throttle safety switch or TSS. There are a ton of them. I just picked one and read it and it answers your question.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266417&highlight=throttle+safety+switch

I remember, taking my throttle apart and unplugging some little white connector inside and putting it all back together and all was well. I also added a tether.

Now you have me thinking about replacing my defective throttle safety switch because I hate wearing a tether. Would i have to buy #14 on the linked schematic to replace the bad TSS switch?

http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index..._CONTROLS_[89628]/3|~90015/3|~90015|~0743-464

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I searched and didnt see a thread for TSS. I am a poor searcher I guess.

I read the thread below but still not quite clear what the Tss is supposed to do. Sounds like it would prevent a sled from taking off if the throttle was wide open upon starting. Or, if the throttle was released and the cable didnt follow suit, it would shut down the machine.

One time i had to hold the throttle wide open to start sled and it about jumped off the front of trailer.

I suppose the tss only detects if the throttle cable isnt fully released in relation to position of throttle lever.

So the tss would not shut the sled down if it was upside down running wide open due to the throttle lever being held wide open by snow?

Also, it sounds like the way to disconnect the tss is to disassemble the handlebar housing and unplug it?

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
the TSS is designed if the trottle bodies or card stick to a position other than idle if you release the thrumb throttle it kills the engine. say if the carbs or TB's freeze open from sucking in cold moist air and freeze say at 3/4 throttle (it happened to me) the tss kills the motor if you let go of the throttle.

Premium Features