• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Viper MTX review

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I got the opportunity to spend a few hours yesterday in Hatcher's Pass jumping back and forth from the new '15 Viper M-TX SE with dealer installed MPI turbo kit and my '13 Pro RMK.

My RMK is fairly well set up with Carl's cut skis, float 3's and a Skinz ARC system. I have spent a lot of time getting it dialed in for me, and I prefer tight technical riding and shorter steep climbs. I've been on a pro since it came out and had a turbo on my '11 for the last two seasons. I have spend a few rides on '12 cats, and put some seat time on the '13 as well. I was not very impressed with either, the latter being a improvement.

I got on the sled and took it kind of easy for the first few second as I was expecting the same experience as I had on the cats. I started with just carving around in some fluffy snow (about 10-16" on a good base) to get a feel for how it handled and how bad the diving was that I experienced on the pro-climbs. I figured with it being heavier it would be more pronounced...I was WAY off. After just a few seconds with no time spent on set up I was very comfortable on the sled and felt it was very predictable. I started taking some runs at a small hill to see how it did side-hilling and in a downhill turn. Again I was blown away, so I pushed it a bit harder. It did everything that I would consider doing on my pro, and with relative ease.

I did lose a sidehill line to the downhill side of the hill that I thought I shouldn't have, so I switched back to my pro to try and mirror everything I had just done. I found in the same situations (slow steep sidehills) the pro was in fact easier to maneuver. It didn't take any more or less effort to initiate a sidehill, but it was definitely easier to hold the line slowly on my pro. when I got to the point where I lost the one line...I washed out on my pro and ended up rolling the sled to get it unstuck. Apparently there was a hard patch just under the surface and I couldn't blame the viper for my lack of talent.

I got back on the Viper and did some bigger, steep climbs. Coming from a turbo pro to a pro and then to the viper I realized how much I missed power, and how noticeable torque is in deep snow. It felt similar to the pull my previous turbo pro had at about 8 psi at sealevel. On climbs where I was giving it all the pro had and was progressively slowing down towards the top the viper just kept pulling. This shouldn't be a surprise to those of you with time on a turbo 4 stroke, but coming from the 2 stroke I was pleasantly surprised.

I found a little bowl at the top of the climb and did some downhill carving. I found I had to commit a little more to whip it around, but not much, and a certain amount may have been mental commitment (loaner pre-production demo sled :confused:). It again didn't have the dive that I've experienced on the pro-climbs in the past (not sure if that's yamaha specific or if cat has since fixed it as well) and was an absolute blast laying it over and having the power to just shoot right back up as fast as it did. Once I decided to head back down the hill I did notice on little bumps while heading down steep hard-pack it liked to nose down a bit. I quickly learned that just a little throttle as you hit the bump solved this, but it caught me off guard at first.

The rest of the day continued in the same fashion switching back and forth for a few good hours and comparing them in all types of situations.

All in all I was very happy with the new Viper and can honestly say I like it AS MUCH as my pro. The pro more so in the tight, slow, technical riding, and the viper in everything else. It was still noticeably heavier, but that was expected jumping from the lightest sled on the market (515 RTR) to the historic heavyweight champion that is now down to 614 RTR. The surprising part is I would have guessed probably a 50 lbs weight difference, not 100, and the power more than made up for the weight. I think that with some lightweight goodies (ie hood, battery, exhaust, front end) it would be on top of the mountain segment.

It is a much more capable sled than its predecessor and a contender in the steep and deep. If you are looking at a new sled for 2015 DO NOT discount Yamaha, and If you get the option, take one for a ride before you snowcheck something else. You will be suprised.

I need to thank Drew at Anchorage Yamaha for the opportunity to go on a real demo ride to put the sled through its paces and get an accurate feel for it in the conditions that we actually ride in. This is something above and beyond that I haven't gotten to experience at any other dealer.

10014651_10151942683936516_1910193767_n.jpg

...also it was only running 5-6 psi of boost, so LOTS of room for more. :D

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Awesome review!! Im riding a XM right now but I am looking to snowcheck a new sled and I am lucky enough that I get to try out this new turbo viper this coming saturday so I hope I like it as much as u do because if I do I think I will snowcheck one!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Great review. Let me just say that swapping the skis out makes a big difference and we are working on some different suspension valving that is a big plus as well. Nice, thorough write up!

B
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks again for coming out and riding the sled. It was a great day and also fun jumping back and forth between sleds to get a fair comparison in like conditions. If you guys haven't had a chance to ride one your missing out, these things are a blast. Find a dealer with a demo schedule and get some seat time, you won't be disappointed.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Great write up... Sounds really good coming from a Poo guy! What elevation is Hatcher pass?

I don't know why yamaha is still stuck on the 6000' and up elevation kick. These kits should be available at all elevations and all models, especially the XTX LE. Stock HP will not allow owners to feel the full potential of that sled IMO.

P
Oct 25, 2011
Nice to hear some positive feedback as am seriously thinking about jumping ship after a awful year on a 14 xm. Unfortounatly will not be able to spend any seat time on one but own a 14 viper and see the potential. will deffinatly get the turbo option with some other goodies

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Nice to hear some positive feedback as am seriously thinking about jumping ship after a awful year on a 14 xm. Unfortounatly will not be able to spend any seat time on one but own a 14 viper and see the potential. will deffinatly get the turbo option with some other goodies
What made the year awful on the XM? I have owned the 1100 turbo cat, not a fan. I have had Polaris for the last two years, like it but worried about reliability. Looking at an XM or Viper for 2015. I am real hesitant in buying a Viper because it may be way to similar to the 1100 turbo. You can ride the heavier four strokes every where the two's go but a lot more tired and sore the next day and I am getting older.

D
Jan 6, 2013
Would also like to know why the bad feelings for the xm? I have nothing but great things to say about the 14 xm other than the 3" offered a year later would have been nice. 2500 trouble free km on it thou. I am going to keep it for another year but would like to get some seat time on this factory turbo viper next year before I decide on my next snowcheck as they sound like they have come a long way.

WFO

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
West Jordan, UT
What made the year awful on the XM? I have owned the 1100 turbo cat, not a fan. I have had Polaris for the last two years, like it but worried about reliability. Looking at an XM or Viper for 2015. I am real hesitant in buying a Viper because it may be way to similar to the 1100 turbo. You can ride the heavier four strokes every where the two's go but a lot more tired and sore the next day and I am getting older.

The Viper and the Cat 1100T aren't even remotely close to the same sled. The only similarity is the chassis and it stops there. The Viper (w/ factory installed turbo) hanging from the bars is very balanced. The Pro and Viper are far more balanced than the XM. I don't know what it is exactly but the way the engine is mounted and the fuel tank running the length of the seat make the Viper a very balanced ride which takes very little effort to ride. There is no ski diving like the 1100T. Take my opinion for what it's worth. I've spent a decent amount of seat time on the Viper the last two months. If you're thinking the Viper and 1100T are the same sled you really need to figure out a way to get on one because they couldn't be more different.

Cheers,

JW

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
this thread is making me look at the Viper as a possible alternative to the pro..... thanks for making me want to spend some more money :face-icon-small-win

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
If it helps any it makes me want to keep my pro as a extra sled (got rid of the extra sled last year and keep kicking myself for it) and then spend more money....

P
Oct 25, 2011
SORRY FOR THE WAIT. 2014 XM HAS NO POWER COMPARED TO 2013 AND USING JUST MASSIVE AMOUNT OF OIL COMPARED TO LAST YEARS MODEL. 600 STOCK PROS KICKING MY *** ALL DAY. JUST PATHETIC AND BRP OR DEALER WILL DO NOTHING.

D
Nov 20, 2005
Great review. Let me just say that swapping the skis out makes a big difference and we are working on some different suspension valving that is a big plus as well. Nice, thorough write up!

yes I agree , and also taking the limiter strap out all the way on the proclimb eliminates the front end diving substantially

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So what is the actual wet weight of the Viper MTX? Yamaha won't post the dry weight either. I don't want to hear the BS story of how some sleds keep more weight on with snow, I just want to know what the RTR weights are of the Pro, XM, M8000 and Viper all in the 150ish track configuration.

I'm also curious if anyone has a Nytro with the 180hp turbo that their wives use. I'd like to keep my Pro but want to get the Viper for another sled and the one my wife would use (plush, smooth power band and electric start). I just don't want her to get into trouble with the turbo power.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Everything with RTR is weighed full of fuel and oil with factory tool kit at the minimum. Some have extras like windsheild bags and snow bungies...
Viper 162 was 614 lbs RTR

Arctic Cat
2013 M8 HCR 153" RTR (ready to ride) 569lbs
2012 ProClimb HCR 153" RTR 502lbs
2006 M7 153" RTR 577lbs
2010 M8 153" RTR 554lbs
2013 m1100 153" RTR 677lbs
2006 CF/M7 146" RTR 589lbs
2013 800 RR RTR 574lbs

Polaris
2009 Dragon 800 163" RTR 557lbs
2014 Assault 800 155" RTR 546lbs