• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz front end review / SLP Mohawks

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Well, sort of. I had the chance to put some miles on this combination over the weekend. A little background: I HATE an aggressive ski, and much prefer a light feeling front end, even at the expense of pushing on the trail to the alpine.
SLP's Mohawks are far too aggressive for the 1100T IMHO. The tri-keel design reminds me of Simmons Gen 1's, with a bit more float - these skis will be down the road shortly.
The Skinz concept front end helps lighten the front end due to the longer wheelbase, it is more stable on the trail, and the narrower ski stance helps move the sled on it's side well, but the already narrow balance point on the PC now leaves NO room for rider error - there is a definite sweet spot that was difficult to attain in the crappy snow I rode this weekend (hero type stuff). I suspect some suspension adjustments will help, and going back to the gripper skis I was running previously. So... is the end result worth the price of admission? Honestly it is a bit early to tell - will repost once I've more time to tune & test.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
To be fair...

For there price was hoping to hear great improvement no matter what the snow conditions.
It does shave some weight, and I already have Exit X1's on the front, so I didn't expect a huge difference in ride quality. Handling is improved over stock, will be better once I have time to adjust suspension.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Ride height is critical...

After looking at the front suspension geometry and talking to Skinz - the Exit X1 shocks I have will not work properly, as I had to use the inboard mount on the lower a-arm. This increases ride height and adds ski pressure. The added wheelbase effectively reduces front arm shock pressure, and increases ski pressure. So although the Exit shocks are physically the correct eye to eye length, the spring collar makes it necessary to mount them in the less desired position. Those with Raptor shocks will want to check for sufficient clearance prior to installing, too. I've ordered the Evol R's (slimmer body with no spring collar interference) - will give an updated evaluation once I've had some ride time - we used these on my wife's ProRMK and they give a great ride, so hoping these will be the ticket on the M1100T as well.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I tried the Mohawks on my sled as well and did not like how aggressive they were. It was good on the trail, but not off trail.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Re: conditions

What were the snow conditions? Windblown and crusty?
Snow was quite "wet" and heavy, as it was fairly warm out, and had been for a few days. As I said before, I like a light "feel" on my skis, honestly prefer Polaris grippers on the 1100T more then any other ski I've run (PPros, Mods, Pilot 6.9's, Pilot DS, and USI Triple threats). I've a pair of 7" Slydogs to try for the next go around - if not an improvement over the Grippers, they will be going back on the sled...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I ran stock, PPs and now the 8" Powder Hounds. Stock sucked, PPs were a workout and the I just love the Powder Hounds. They are better everywhere, trail, boonedocking, climbing etc. Super low steering effort, sidehill awesome with little effort and lots of flotation. Put them on my Nytro and got the same results. As soon as I heal up with be trying the new Skinz front end.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Update

I apologize that I haven't posted back, have been at work. However... I did manage to get some ride time and time to adjust for my liking with the Float Evol R's and the 7" Slydogs (as well as time with the Grippers). The front end when set up properly transforms the ride and handling character of the M1100 - for the better. Hard to put into words, but the sled feels more like an 800 (handling wise) then a nose heavy 4 stroke. My wife put it best (and she rides a Pro RMK with a Kmod skid, Z-broz front end with Evol R's): "This sled handles better then my Pro, and you feel no harsh feedback to the bars". You can ride harder with less rider fatigue, and it goes where it's pointed, no matter what the conditions are. Two thumbs up for a good upgrade, but I still cannot recommend the Mohawk ski to anyone with a 4 stroker...

Premium Features