• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil tank threads, re-cutting threads?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i know about the cap/neck issues on the oil resi's, i am part of the 2 pinned threads on the subject.

i have dano's neck insert on both 09 m8's but, the caps dont go on very far and the threads are melting BADLY. i am wanting to put on rk tek's cap, so i can put it on once... and dont have to take it off again.

can you recut the threads to get the cap to sit on straighter, and deeper?

i hate to replace the oil resi due to what a pita it is to do it.

any help appreciated. Ski

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I heard these are not normal thread sizes like pipe so not sure what would be used as the cutter. Maybe install an aluminum cap and then apply heat to it from a torch and melt the threads a little deeper??

I've used Dano's insert. Quality piece but I found the cap was very finicky and seemed to jump threads real easy. I calipered the cap in a few spots and it was not round either.

I put the cap on the bench and gently used a propane torch to make it round, then installed it again and seemed like it wanted to jump threads and become oblong.

I put a large hose clamp around the cap to help keep it round and it's worked well for me so far, one season. In doing this, I removed Dano's insert to allow the cap to screw on a tad further.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
not a normal thread, not going to find die to fix thread but a thread repair tool might work but it will cost more than a new tank

dont get ANY plastic bits in tank...they could plug oil hole

Premium Features