• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Peak 2.5 or Challenger Extreme 2.5?

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
I am looking for advice on which track to purchase for a 2012 pro turbo. If anyone has rode both I would like some real world experience. I have rode the extreme before, but am looking for other options if there is a better one. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Casey

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
If you dig around in here i think you will find that the majority did not like the peak for deep powder. Some bought one and took it off after a few rides. expensive experiment. The C.E. is still the best powder track imo

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Where do you ride? Coastal snow conditions warrant a different track choice as do spring conditions. I'm going to test a Peak for our wet coastal snow this season. In the past I was a finger track aficionado, but they choose to discontinue that awesome coastal snow / spring snow track. Never been a fan of the CE for our snow conditions.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I live in CO, and ride out here in the western states almost exclusively. I am on a Turbo Pro RMK, and am going to give the Peak, a shot this year. I have heard the same thing that Paulharris said, about guys trying it and taking it off after a couple rides. What I have been told by one of Camoplast's R&D guys, is that the Peak was designed to be similar to the Yamaha Ascent track. The Idea being that the middle lugs, and tips are softer, while the base and outside are stiffer. The thought being that you would "channel snow, and pack it down under the middle of your track". I was also told that this track takes considerably longer to break in, than say a challenger (hence people trying it and switching it out after only a couple rides), but once it does, it will perform better than any other track, for high HP/high torque sleds (4stroke Yam/Turbo 2 Stroke), in deep dry powder conditions.
Again, this is all stuff I was told and had explained to me by a Guy that works for Camo, I cannot attest to any of it yet for myself. THe way it was explained, it makes sense to me, so I am going to give it a shot, and let it break in for a good while this year, before I form any solid opinions. Hopefully it will be as good as touted.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
My brother ran this track last year on his turbo xp. It worked good and defiantly moves some snow. On a high hp sled they seem to work good. I run a turbo on my dragon with the stock 5.1 track. Side by side I have not found the claims that the peak trenches, at least not any more than the 5.1 on the dragon. Obviously I know this is apples to oranges, but I would ride right to the side, same deep powder, and the trenches where similar. Seems like this track would keep digging, and move you forward when getting stuck, versus just getting stuck on the 5.1. Under booost they seem to really hook up. Seems like you could let off the gas for a moment and the track would hop on top of the snow. Another note, the claim that it channels snow to the middle is true. When looking for my brother, I could always tell what was his track because the middle of the track has a 5 to 6 inch hump in the middle. Very distinctive. Seems these features would get him up the hill a few feet farther than previously. Braking is also better coming down. Oh, and they throw a mean rooster!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Be sure you are patient with the peak and give it some time to 'break in'. Initially it will probably dig and trench more than you want. But with boost, you will be turning it fast enough to great some memory in the lugs where it should perform very well in ALL conditions. I'll be running one on my 155 turbo pro.

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I'm going to be running one on my turbo dragon. I am hoping it will hold up better than the stock 5.1 under boost. The stock one liked to fold the lugs over and lose traction completely:face-icon-small-dis

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Be sure you are patient with the peak and give it some time to 'break in'. Initially it will probably dig and trench more than you want. But with boost, you will be turning it fast enough to great some memory in the lugs where it should perform very well in ALL conditions. I'll be running one on my 155 turbo pro.

So you're gonna go back and give it another shot hey Matt. Last year, you didn't seem to care for the track, and were the reason I didn't get one. That was before I (and apparently you) was told about the extended break in period. Hahaha
Well, hopefully since you hogged all the snow in WC last season, you'll be heading up to Thunder Mountian, to ride with us, this year!

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Guys here is my experience ,ran them side by side under boost:

In very soft sugar powder-- Camo extreme takes it
Wet snow- Peak takes it

The peak has tremendous traction and even after its broke in the track still has a trenching affect . I had a buddy that trimmed it a special way and it seems to work a ton better . I wasnt able to spin the 155 peak faster than 83 mph under boost and we were spinning the 3" 163 extreme 80 mph on harder wet snow. Both on 10 PSI boost -basically taking more HP to spin the Peak. I will be selling my peak if anyone wants it.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Guys here is my experience ,ran them side by side under boost:

In very soft sugar powder-- Camo extreme takes it
Wet snow- Peak takes it

The peak has tremendous traction and even after its broke in the track still has a trenching affect . I had a buddy that trimmed it a special way and it seems to work a ton better . I wasnt able to spin the 155 peak faster than 83 mph under boost and we were spinning the 3" 163 extreme 80 mph on harder wet snow. Both on 10 PSI boost -basically taking more HP to spin the Peak. I will be selling my peak if anyone wants it.

There are a lot of peaks for sale if that tells you anything

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I was wondering if anyone had messed with trimming the Peak. I had some ideas, but am going to hold off to see how I like it stock, once it is good and broken in.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I currently have a Peak on my 2102 Etec Turbo 163... I find it to be a nice combination for high HP sleds.. good hookup with equal powder capability. With a turbo sled and lots of track speed, the Peak gets up on top of the snow and really goes. You can feel the sled almost lift up in the rear on a long, deep, climb,, thus the snow forced to the center of track..At the end of a climb, the Peak seems to go another 15-20ft just when you think it's ready to turn out. We did lots of side by testing with other tracks. I also find it to be a really nice on the trail and corners really well.

I like the Peak, have had the Camo Extreme. Both are great tracks..Peak is probably not as well suited for a stock sled as well as the Camo IMO. Peak shines with power!

Oh, and YES it needs some time to break in! Give it time.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002

Doesn't that almost mean that the peak had the same amount of traction as the challenger?

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I currently have a Peak on my 2102 Etec Turbo 163...

Well crap, I had heard that the R&D guys were a couple years ahead of production, but 2102......wow. How did you get your hands on one of those prototypes!

Seriously though, good to hear some positive reviews on the Peak, as I just spent the time and $ installing one.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
So you're gonna go back and give it another shot hey Matt. Last year, you didn't seem to care for the track, and were the reason I didn't get one. That was before I (and apparently you) was told about the extended break in period. Hahaha
Well, hopefully since you hogged all the snow in WC last season, you'll be heading up to Thunder Mountian, to ride with us, this year!

The experience I was disappointed with last season with the peak was with stock power. That sled doesn't make enough power at 11,000 feet in our light dry snow in stock form to get the benefits of that track. Later in the year with boost, I tried another peak and was much happier with the results. I liked it enough that I'll be using a peak with boost again this year.

I definitely want to spend some time on the mesa this winter! LET IT SNOW:)

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
2012's were last years sleds right???:face-icon-small-con

The first time I saw the Peak was spring 2011...our dealer had a one to test with. After seeing the results first hand, I ordered one for my sled last year. I ran the Camo Extreme the previous 2 years and was well aware of how it worked. As I said, the Peak seems to excel with power, however I think it's much better with a 154/155 length vs a 163 on a STOCK sled.

Premium Features