• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HEY PEEPS... WHATS HAPPENING WITH YOUR 900's THIS SUMMER ... OR ARE YOU STILL RIDING?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
HEY PEOPLE...

POST UP YOUR PLANS, REPAIRS, CRASH STORIES ETC HERE ON YOUR 900'S.

Keeps the summer a bit more interesting.

For me... planning on digging out the Ole 935 project and getting it finished... Life happens, and it got back shelved for too long.

In a nutshell... 2006 900 Bulkhead married to a Dragon tunnel, T-sled skid, upgraded shocks, Indy Dan motor with some tricks up my sleeve... factory 935 motor (based off the 900) and a heap of extras.

I hope to continue the build article over the summer.

Enjoy the spring/summer... lots of things to do!

MH out :usa2:

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Well I'll start out with my plans. There is no snow here and hasn't been for a while so my motor is out and is going to be shipped to indydan for a TM1 and new 06 pistons. The injectors will be sent out to witchhunter performance to be cleaned and flow tested. I am in the process of swapping out my chaincase due to the crack that I found in the bottom while I was installing my new billet cover. Going to be ordering new wiring harness and all of the other goodies that go with a motor removal and a steering post to get rid of the slop that I found in the u-joint on the one in the sled now. Then finally the skid is coming out to be inspected and all four shocks are going to hygear suspension to be rebuilt and revalved. So basically a complete and total overhaul. I am open to any suggestions on what else I should do in case I missed anything.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I still have mine, and ride it on the deeper days usually... no real maintenance plans for it this summer though as I did my major stuff last fall - motor mounts, throttle cable, speedo pickup, etc... with over 4200 miles on the old girl I think she is now on the critical repairs only plan.

Franz

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Logan, UT
Looking forward to the 935 project!

My 9 became a work bench in my garage, and pretty much has most of my tools piled on it. Most of my riding buddies are on new sleds now, but I think I will be saving my money and this summer puting my old sled back together with a few changes. I have been hording parts for awhile now, and building and machining what else I can. I will break this build into two parts for short and long term goals: stage one is more just bolt on stuff and will be running next season.

holz 40" front suspension
crank shop 1140 with twin pipes, struther's tuned.
timbersled skid with teflon bushings and 7075 hard anodized cross shafts.
Evans marine carbon fiber hood
fastrax carbon side panels
evol x front shocks
vanamberg tunnel cooler
better boards
billet chaincase cover
R/S delete
boss seat
black powder coating
fly carbon handle bars
titanium bolt kit
a little nitrous, and a few more odds and ends.

I was planning to assemble a unionbay 1140 top end but have decided to use the cast crankshop cylinders instead since the tune was available for this setup, and gain some experience running it first.

I think this sled will be 40-45 lbs lighter than stock and +45-50hp over stock.

Stage 2 will be the same bolt ons listed above but with a tube chassis in an effort to make the sled handle better. I will make two identical lightweight chassis for next summer, the only difference will be engine mounts and positioning. One for the 1140 and the other will be for an old 800bb that has been reliable for several years.

And thats about it. Assembly for next season will begin in 3 weeks.

bigjusty

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2012
Nebraska
bought the sled this year and have slp can, timbersled intake, 09 seat, radiator delete, and boogie wheel delete. I plan on more vents every where, balancing clutch (looking for input on where to send), upgrade skis, rebuild shocks, upgrade rear spring to 225#, handle bar riser, and replace boards (again open to options and ideas) I love the sled and have just 1800 miles on it. Thanks for your help and input!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Just installed updated crank with triple PTO bearing. New Clutch is sitting in Dan's Shop right now. Stud pulled out on 975 head when putting it back together. So it is looking like the 975 turbo is no more because the cylinder can not be repaired.

Planning to install 900 cylinders and pistons, an SLP head with custom cut pump gas turbo domes from Attitude.

New MountainFit TPO hood installed.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
after everything i had done to mine last fall, so i could ride 150 miles in FEB, it will be sold this summer/fall

wife snowchecked me a PRO, and says i cant have 2 sleds

she wont ride it, i had her try it and it scared her.....so that option is out

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Sucks that you had so many problems. I probably have one more year before I pick up a pro. Want to make sure the belt drive has no issues. Once I get the turbo running one of my 900's is going up for sale. I'm also looking to pick up a mountain horse kit for my bike.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Stud pulled out on 975 head when putting it back together. So it is looking like the 975 turbo is no more because the cylinder can not be repaired.

Planning to install 900 cylinders and pistons, an SLP head with custom cut pump gas turbo domes from Attitude.

New MountainFit TPO hood installed.
No more 975? Thats too bad, can't you find a cylinder anywhere???

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
didnt have so many problems that werent directly connected to the last owner....and this year i was only home a couple weeks to ride in the crappy snow conditions....LOL

but damn, it ran great when I was there.....I had a bunch of little mods done, and it shouldnt have any reliabilitys issues anymore....wish i could have put the 09 plastics on, but momma wasnt wanting to let me once we decieded i was getting a PRO

if you know of anyone looking, let me know

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Hey guys, just thought I give an update and put some activity on this page. Just got my motor back from indydan yesterday and still need to get some stuff done before its ready to go back in (project kinda got pushed off to the side for a while) Shocks are back from Hygear suspension and while they costed a little more than expected I am glad that for what they found and repaired. Basically the shocks were completely rebuilt, 3 of the 4 needed new shafts due to pitting and a couple new pistons. Then they revalved the shocks to my weight and type of riding and put them on their dyno to check their performance. I would highly recommend Hygear to anyone looking to have work done on their shocks they are great guys. Things to do yet include: send injectors to witchhunter, reinstall chaincase, jackshaft, and skid, replace steering shaft, and order all the mounts, bolts wiring harness and throttle cable and all of the other goodies to go along with the motor install. Hope you guys have a great summer and I can't wait til the snow flies!!!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Great to see Mountainhorse is still on here! I've been inactive on here for about a year but this 900 forum is what helped get me hooked on riding!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Called up Dan this morning and he is boxing up some 900 cylinders, pistons, and my clutch that he just got done balancing and modifying for the turbo weights. I also put in an order for the rest of the parts I need to put it back together as a 900 Turbo.

I'm flying home on the 9th for a week and hope to get it all together and running. :face-icon-small-coo

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Well, it looks like what I am doing is practicing taking my engine apart and reassembling it. Got my 900 cylinders and pistons from Dan Yesterday. Got them most of the way installed today and the head bolt stripped out before I could get 10 lbs of torque on it. Now I have to take it all apart again and send the cylinders back for repairs. What a great way to spend my week off.:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features