• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 Summit build , wifes sled 91` 617 motor and components install

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have found all the parts for which I started this thread and now its a build thread!!!

617 engine install with all components from doner sled, 05 Rev 136 rear skid, 6.9pilot skis.

Here are a few pics from the starting to put her back together
Sled had D&R chaincase when I previously purchased it, good to be able to run a 2 inch lug track
will eventually extend to a 151 for floatation for the wife, help her not to get stuck as much Less back pain for me. Lol

49E001B4-orig.jpg

CAFFA912-orig.jpg

46B5FFE3-orig.jpg

Just the hood setting on for looks , no coolers in tunnel yet , pics of that are father in to this thread.

91DE9130-orig.jpg

Trying to add more progress pic, still lookin for what files they are in.

Darren
wildcard282@hotmail.com

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Got all my front suspension parts, Just lookin for a 136 rear skid is good shape, would like to have an 04 or newer skid for a good price or a real good price on an S Chassis 136 skid. I live in Wa, 99403

Started putting the sled back together today put all the front suspension trailing arms and control rods back on it, steering post and bars I took off the 91 Mach 1 sled I used for a engine doner sled which had a 617 in it so I will be using all the engine, exhaust system and wiring and component from the mach 1 to get this sled together for my wife, doin a Rev Summit seat conversion again this will be the second one on this sled.

Wildcard

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello got all my parts and supplies for the wifes sled other than I need a pair of stock 05 Rev rear skid 7inch wheels to complete the rear axle assembly since I`m running an 05 Summit 136 rear skid for her sled and a skidoo
136x15x2 track on her sled and again the engine will be a 91 Mach 1 617 with
all the components from the Mach including the stock exhaust which seems to be able to work fine under the hood of the 97 Summit S Chassis, the original or 98 airbox will work great since when I originally purchased this sled it had been changed to a 98 670 X engine, I converted it to a tripple and one time and didn`t work out good so I purchased my 04 Rev Summit X and sold a bunch of parts off the 97 including the 670 which now I wish I would of never sold, anyway the sled will be converted for the second time to the 04 Summit seat off my Rev since I installed an 06 Summit X seat on the Rev.
sled also had a drop and rolled chaincase that was on it when I purchased it so I can run the 2 inch track, the sled will have 6.9 pilot skis and have widened the front stance to accomodate the wife so the sled doesn`t feel to tippy for her from the start then maybe I`ll narrow it back down to stock when she gets used to it.

Can`t wait to get started on the build again,

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Ill post pics soon, just got my phone linked with my photobucket using a snapbucket android app for my galaxy S2 awesome phone, anyway I got the coolers installed this evening and the 136 tunnel extension my friend gave me had it all flipped upside down, now after coolers are installed got it back on the skis and jackstands under the tunnel holdin the rear of the sled up,

temporarily set the fuel tank on and how the Rev Seat will be setting on the sled quick mock up, will do the seat install after motor is installed and running.

I need to find out the ctc on the skid I purchased, 05 summit fan 136 rear skid then I can locate my rear drop bracket and get the skid mounted and the track in.

anyone know these measurement please let me know

Thanks, Wildcard

06D23F97-orig.jpg

[IMG
[IMG]http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/Snapbucket/C9CA8FC6-orig.jpg
687B5F63-orig.jpg

]http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/Snapbucket/687B5F63-orig.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
CBAF4A92-orig.jpg

Last edited:
Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Also, have you figured out how to make ski bumpers work with the s-chassis spindles and the pilot skis?? I see that you don't have any in there, and I can tell you, that S-chassis bumpers will "spit out" of the pilot skis with regularity. The trick is, to use ZX spindles and ski bumpers! The ZX spindles are roughly 1/4 - 3/8" taller, and on my "Mutt" sled, I machined round spacers that I used to make up the difference.

I tried to run those skis without bumpers, but the first time I had one ski tip point straight down into a small crevice and stop the sled cold tossing me over the bars...... I had to find a solution... Oh yeah, forgot to mention- that HURT! lol

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello Zach, thanks for the offer on the trailing arms they would be nice on the sled and would love to have them just not in the butjet right now, I did figure our how to make the ski bumper work on this sled I used the Rev pilot ski bumpers and trimmed the bottom of them to thin them out to fit in between the s chassis spindle and the ski I made them so I had to put some pressure upwards on the skis to kinda squish the bumpers in there and slid the spacer and bolt in place they are not really tight but do have some movement but the way I cut the bumpers and shimmed them between the bumper and the ski, If you lift the front of the sled off the ground the skis angle up in the front and this works great, I didn`t obviously want the skis to sag down in the front of the skis and make the sled endo over if the Wife or I was to jump it and the nose came down first to far, ya know.

This is not the first time this sled has had these skis, I had them on it for 2yrs before I bought my 04 Rev Summit X and put them on it now I have put Simmons
Gen1 skis on the Rev and put the pilots back on the S Chassis, this is my wifes sled so it not going to be a mod sled anymore , I have a Rev Rear skid and a 2inch paddle 136 track on it since the sled previously had a D&R on it
The rear skid is an 05 Rev skid and installing the old seat off my 04 Rev on it also since I put a 06 Summit X seat on the Rev, other than that the only mod is I installed a ( which came from a doner sled) a 91` Mach 1 617cc rotary engine all the harness ,components and the exhaust even worked out great the motor is almost ready to fire..

all the electical controls worked and even used the Mach 1 handlebars, warmers and switchs

Sorry about the long read

20121006_165300.jpg

20121006_164325.jpg

20121006_164151.jpg

20121006_164232.jpg

Wildcard

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Here how far down it was before I started putting it back together before I purchased my Rev Summit, I actually partin most all this sled out, it was lastly a 700 Tripple conversion,

I actually purchased it from my good friend who he purchased it New and it had a 98` 670X motor he installed after it went thru a few 740bb motors with twin pipes so he swapped it back to the 98` 670 and rode the the last few years before sellin it to me, I rode it for 2 year and swapped it to a tripple.

sat for last couple years in this condition as pretty much a Chassis, and most all the parts sold, I slowly collected the parts back and came across a 91` Mach 1 cheap that the guy couldn`t get runnin I got it fired up about a 1/2 after getting it cheap, had to fill the carbs and run ,run . the fuel pump was shot.

here is also a shot of the sled the engine and all the components came out of, I was shocked this sled had a 16inch 121 track on it, was goin to use the rear skid out of it but it was shot and had no travel was hard as a rock, not a wifes sled suspension, Lol.

will post some more pics later on.

I am lookin for a tall S Chassis windshield, you can text pics, info and price shipped to 99403 to 208 305 4732

Enjoy, Wildcard

003-1.jpg

91` Mach 1
2012-03-04102947.jpg

As of today..
20121006_165300.jpg

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Haha, funny! I did the same exact build using a Formula MX 470 chassis as a donor, building my son a sled. Looks VERY similar to your install. I used a 670 engine plate and the 670 oil/coolant bottle, but everything else is Formula. I even cut down the Formula airbox to work in the S-chassis....
I've got a '98 style tall windshield if interested. Not perfect, but definately would work. I saved it for all of those long "trail rides" that I never took, lol.... PM me your cell #, and I'll text you a couple pics of it. You can have it for shipping if it will work for you.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello Zach, thats cool I had previously cut the coolant bottle from the oil tank when its was a 670 for deleting the oil Injection, used that coolant bottle on the 700 tripple and now agian on the 617, I am using the 98` 670 airbox fit the carbs perfect hope the box matchs up good, mounted the cdi box to the bracket the oil tank used to be on also cut the trianglular towers off other than 1/2 of one for the CDI made an bolted a piece of aluminum flat bar to the back of the mag cover and bolted the coil to that raised above the mag cover a bit. the 617 exhaust worked great out the the Mach ` just had to change the position of where the hole in the belly pan came out and made some mounting brackets to fasten it all. and had to reroute the waterpump hoses around the side of the mag cover and up towards the caliper and coolant bottle hose couldn`t go over the mag cover anymore the pipe set to closely tucket to the RH cylinder head. Also used the 670 motor plate also just had to do some cutaway or trimming under the mag cover side cause the plate hit the mag cover, nothin a grinder didn`t fix, Lol

I`m lookin for an electric starter mounting bracket , starter and ring gear to put electric start on for her, not sure if the ring gear will bolt to the 617 clutch but was told I could use a 583 clutch to do so have to look closer tomorrow.

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello more progress, was finishing tightening and installin all the new bolt I had purchased to complete the installation of the trailing arms to control rods and shock,

Started making the tierods this evening since this sled has a wider than stock ski stance I beleive control rods off an MXZ I have to make tierods of the correct length, almost finish them until I found out I am missing a LH and RH threaded tierod ends have to check with the dealer tomorrow. can`t seem to find the extra ones I had from the doner sled, Huh.

will measure the exact ski stance tomorrow, Wife doesn`t like the tippy feelin this sled had before when I was riding it , it scares the %$#$ out of her, when it had the 670, mostly cause when she was on the back with me it naturally makes the frontend light and come up in the air quicker thats what scared her if she would of had a chance to ride it alone that would probably be different, she liked the ole 96` Arctic Cat 580 Powder Special we had before she really liked that sled was low and stable feelin. thats kinda what I am trying to achieve with this sled, comfortable and handles with out bein tippy but yet I could still have fun on it also.

Will be purchasing a cobra Yellow higher windshield for it soon.

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
More progress been getting closer to getting the motor fired,

I have purchased a quite a bit of parts from sdsnocop here on snowest hell of a gut to deal with and chat with also, Thank You

I actually purchased the control rods and trailing arms from him awhile back and have gotten some needed parts I was missing some pieces for the drive shaft inner and outer retainer for the Lh side bearing assembly especially the alumunum spacer I didn`t even have these will cure my driveshaft fit problems

I also purchased the matchin length tierods and end that came off the same sled I got the rods and trailing arms from, the front end is wider than a stock summit, the sled sets now at 40inchs where this summit was stock with a 38inch stance, the wideth is exactly what I wanted for the wife, not to tippy and more stable for her.

Also purchased a Yellow Cobra windshield from sdsnocop also will be here middle of week and other parts this weekend so I will have a Complete Running gear and suspension

Going to start fabing the Rev seat on pretty soon, this will be the second Rev seat conversion that has been on this sled

also installed 98-99 plastic filler pieces betweed the hood and tank more venting from rear of engine compartment..

Here is what it looks like now.
20121006_164116.jpg

20121006_164413.jpg

20121006_164325.jpg

Still need to install tierods
20121006_164126.jpg

Wildcard

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Got some more work done today, got off work a bit early and got some time in on Wife`s Sled, got the tierods installed today, gonna need longer ones tierods are for a 38inch stance when sled has a 40inch turns and works but just doesn`t turn as tight, but will work good for now.

Also receive the Cobra windshield today, nice shape and got a great deal on it along with the driveshaft parts I got too which will finish up all rear suspension now then will have a complete roller.

Also have to reinstall the ski bumper and make some spacers for the 6.9 pilot skis, I`m going to set them to the center position for now.

Need to make a custom dash panel also to house the smaller diameter guages the 91 Mach 1 had, also has more guages. will post pics later on.

Wife doesn`t like all the Yellow and I honestly don`t either the skis and windshield and other yellow parts on it will stay just going to Paint the Hood
Black!! and add some graphic stickers of her color and choice, Yhae she don`t want pink or purple, which will make me want to ride it more, Lol.

ski setting , will be moved to center not offset like this
20121019_173118.jpg

Tierods and all supension bolts installed and front end aligned. HPG shocks
20121019_173105.jpg

Windshield
20121019_152522.jpg

Sled Now
20121019_152512.jpg

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello got a bunch more work done on the sled today, I installed the correct driveshaft parts I received the other day and now it is all correct on how the retainer and aluminum spacer and speedo drive piece attaches to the driveshaft and thru the tunnel, is all complete and attached now, also completely finished the installation of the chaincase I had a couple extra top gears and when this sled had the 670 and the 700 tripple in it with a 153 track I had it geared 20/45 I moved up one tooth on the top gear to 21/45 going to give that a shot , also attached the rubber hood hold downs, too the 91 Mach snowflap off that was ugle and had Red lettering and installed one of my extra Rev Chassis Snowflaps and put the ZX chassis plastic pieces on the rear / side of the tunnel, my buddy made these fit when he owned it and I decided to put them back on.

So now the suspension, drive system is all finished and complete, going to work on getting a few thing done and hooked up to get the motor fired off,
need to clean carbs, make a block off plate for the oil injection pump and mount the coil on the bracket I made better.

Also attached a pic of the mod my buddy and I came up with, since the top of these steering posts are weak and Know for breaking at the top mount weld, so we decided to make a plate that goes from the stock tank loop and extends up to attach a 2nd plastic bushing mount and ubolt, along with drilling the top of the post out and custom shaping a piece of 3/4 inch cold roll steed driven down the center of the Post and welded after it cooled

Steering post custom 2nd upper mount, takes all the flex out of the post making it not so flemsy
20121020_150014.jpg

Chaincase, brake caliper and coolant bottle complete, or for so far
20121020_145940.jpg

Rear skid, axle and track all adjusted and installed. Rev snowflap and zx plastics added to rear and side of tunnel
20121020_135750.jpg

New windshield

Wildcard

Last edited:
Premium Features