• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Klim Survey regarding Clothing for us ladies!!

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Please take the time and fill out this survey, it is very important for our snowmobile clothing vendors to produce a clothing line made specific for us ladies. Thank you for your time and HONEST answers, this will help us all in the long run.

KLIM is deeply interested in building the very best riding gear for serious female riders. We have the best ingredients and professionals in the industry, hands-down. The process of building the best starts with learning from the riders in the field. That’s where this survey comes in. Please help us build the next generation of the world’s best riding gear by completing this quick survey. Also, any ideas you have for gear or women’s riding products in general can be sent directly to the KLIM headquarters at ideas@klim.com

Here’s a link to the survey:

Klim Survey for Ladies

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I looked at it, but I don't use "trap door" clothing. To me, it's just a place for snow to get in my britches. Since it seemed interested only in hearing from women who want that type of clothing, I didn't respond. I can go back and reply if you want me to, I just don't think my replies will be helpful to that survey.

L

live2ride

Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
We need all the reply's, I don't use that type of clothing either, but they want to know if that is what us ladies use or not. If we want them to produce the type of clothing we will wear they need to know our opinions of this.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I took the survey, won't ever wear a drop seat bib but it is nice to have some input on it.

Why doesn't somebody make a nice pair of waterproof, windproof, breathable pants that fit me and still have some insulation in it! Finally need to replace my old skidoo mens pants, not impressed with the options right now.

M

MNSnowCat

Apr 13, 2009
MN
I took the survey, won't ever wear a drop seat bib but it is nice to have some input on it.

Why doesn't somebody make a nice pair of waterproof, windproof, breathable pants that fit me and still have some insulation in it! Finally need to replace my old skidoo mens pants, not impressed with the options right now.

WYsteph, I hear you! I'm looking for new bibs, too, and most are heavy and overinsulated. And there's nothing out there for someone like me that's both vertically challenged and built like a brick @#$% house. :face-icon-small-dis

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska

That was pretty much what I told Klim in the survey- I'm not interested in a drop seat, and I think most women's gear is made to look pretty instead of made to be functional so I end up buying the men's gear.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I agree Klim is a great company. I wasn't bashing Klim but rather the outdoor clothing industry in general in that they make a lot of pink stuff for women that don't contain the features that they put in men's gear that makes it functional. I don't want to be pretty on the trail, I want to be warm and dry. If I can be warm AND pretty, bonus, but first I want to be warm and dry. Klim's warranty is fantastic and their service is good.

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
WYsteph, I hear you! I'm looking for new bibs, too, and most are heavy and overinsulated. And there's nothing out there for someone like me that's both vertically challenged and built like a brick @#$% house. :face-icon-small-dis

I hear you SnowCat... Short & stout I am (with a little extra)... but I've finally given up on bibs... only wear them when it's really cold..... never both wide And short enough!

M

MNSnowCat

Apr 13, 2009
MN
I am about ready to sew my own (and I'm not that talented!)... Tried on a few pairs of Klim bibs and pants (men's) and if they fit my fat @$$ they are all way too long for me. Nothing I fear more than hooking that extra fabric into my boards. Ladies gear doesn't normally have full length leg zippers which I think is stupid. And pink. I'm worn out on pink. Just black is good...

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Yeah, the fact that the whole focal point of this questioner being on the drop seat seams silly to me! If you are a technical rider, the last thing you want is a drop seat that ads one more place for moisture to seep in through and one more place to add bulk and weight! (Although I know a zipper doesnt add that much weight but it still ads some bulk with all that extra stitching). My suggestion would be to oust the drop seat and suspendars and provide an easy system to attach the coat to the pant so that you can create the powder suite affect but make it easy for women to detach their coat from their pants so that they can simply drop their "drawers" without having to take off the coat. That's how my gear works and I love it!!!!

I've resorted to snowboard gear for technical riding gear. I really think Klim has nice gear - constructed well, pretty durable,warm and dry! And seems like they have a great warranty system!

But I like my 686 snowboard gear because it is light weight and more agile - allowing me to really move around like I need too. As a smaller and shorter rider (like many women tend to be), I really need to move around on my sled to perform especially technical manevuers through the trees and other technical terrain. I'm only 125lbs and barely 5'-4" - I have to throw more weight around while using the same techniques as heavier / taller riders to accomplish the same move. Thus, I exert a lot more energy. I sweat a lot and run out of energy early if I dont eat and ride right but I can kick some P90X butt after a month into a heavy riding sledding season! I love how freely I can move around in my gear - that and staying dry is most important to me! Then I love all the features, then I love the selection in style and colors!

The 686 snowboard gear I've been wearing has either been waterproof or water resistant to a high degree and I purchase the systems that have a zip together / removable jacket and pant fleece system for insulation on those colder days. When it's warm, I just wear the shell of the pant and jacket. I really like many features that come standard with snowboard gear too - like all the pockets (some fleece lined for sunglasses for example, some just easy to get too for other items), the wrist gators, the power skirt that hooks to my pants to create a "powerder suit", the hood that really protects me in a snowstorm but cant feel it all with my helmet on, the great fit and all the awesome colors and patterns to choose from!

The only thing I've found my snowboard gear not holding up to so well is the shins and knees on my pants take a beeting from the sharp edges on my running boards. But my jacket has several pitch stains on it from tangoing with trees and its held up great so far! My 686 snowboard gear seams to last about 3 seasons which is perfect because that's about the time I start getting tired of the colors and style! LOL (yes, typical girl!)

it's important though to make sure you choose the highest waterproofing system in snowboard / ski gear - snowboard and ski gear manufactures offer a lot of different levels of waterproofing!

Oh, I also found that 686 gas a good warranty program! My pants were leaking at one particular seam and they took them back no questions asked and sent me out a new pair right away! Love the 686 company!

EDIT: I ordered my pants in the regular inseam version but they offered a tall too!

Last edited:
R
Jun 22, 2009
S.W Montana
I posted a reply. I have no desire to purchase pants or bibs with a drop seat, but I do like that they asked for input from us ladies! I agree with many of you in the fact that the focus for women's gear is the "cuteness" factor. The focus needs to be on function, they can make the clothing any color they want once the function is there. I have yet to find a female line that I like for pants, so I still ride with Klim's mens freeride pants! I do have their women's Klimate coat and do like it.

L

live2ride

Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Here is some feed back from my Klim gear I have been wearing this season so far.

I have the plum Alpine Parka uninsulated and I absolutely LOVE it very flattering look and fit. It has vents in the arm pits and back. Then has the hand gaiters, waist adjustment and a powder skirt, 2 Inside pockets and 3 external pockets (2hand and a chest). The collar is fleece lined and isn't to tight when zipped up all the way. This coat has been awesome from the warm rainy day I rode to the search and rescue I was on for 8 hours the other night (got in at 4 am). I wear my base layer and a jersey, then my Tek Vest and have yet been cold. I wear a small coat but need a medium to fit loosely over the Tek Vest and beacon.
The Alpine Bib uninsulated made for women, a size small and they are the perfect length. These Newley designed for us women seem to be great so far. I am not a fan of bib's per say as I prefer pants, I dont like taking off gear to go to the bathroom. But I do love the fit, it is very flattering so i have been told ;-) as far as snow gear goes. The full length leg zippers are nice, the 2 pockets are low on the hips which are nice, and the suspenders are adjustable and are easy to clip. These pants also have built in knee pads and designed to fit the rider nicely. The boot gator seems to work well, also there is a snap that attaches to the boot lace to help keep snow out of the boots. I layer with a base layer and mid layer and stay plenty warm, the warmer days I only wear the base layer.
My base layers are the Solstice top and pant, my mid layers are the Sundance pants and jacket. I have yet to need the Sundance jacket which is also a full zip jacket that can be worn after riding to the restaurant. The Sundance pants are awesome and look like a yoga pant that can be worn to dinner after a day of riding also. These both wick moisture away nicely as I had to do tons of hiking the other night and worked up a sweat. I never realized how much until I got back to the lodge and removed my coat. I was super impressed as I thought I was dry up until then, I never got cold even sitting around waiting for a helicopter at 3 am and the ride back in.
I am also wearing the Arctic fx boot which I love the fit, I wear a size 7.5 shoe and have a size 6 boot. I do get chilly but never are they wet or freezing like in my old boots. I think it is my feet not the boots as a girlfriend has these same boots and has never been cold in them. Awesome boot!
There are tons of other features you can find on the Klim website, but wanted to point out my likes so far on the few rides I have had with my new gear.
The Allure bib is a insulated ladies bib and should Have a similar fit as the uninsulated bib. Remember if they are insulated they will not be as flattering due to the extra padding.
Klim makes awesome products, and my opinion you won't go wrong with the products and the warranty they offer.

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Yeah, Klim has a GREAT reputation for keeping riders warm and dry! Good stuff for sure!!!

I'd love to try out the new Alpine Parka and see how it really does perform for "the world’s most demanding female riders." (as stated on Klim's website) I'd love to be wearing Gortex but it's always seemed so stiff and I notice that when I'm really throwing my weight around on that sled. But maybe Klim has patterned the shell right and made it more agile and liquid feeling for the highly active rider! (That would be a dream come true!) "Patterned aggressively for highly active riders" Then maybe I can quit buying snowboard gear for technical and most aggressive riding and support the snowmobile gear making industry! ;)

I don't want bibs though - anyone tried this years mens Freeride pant in a small or xsmall?

I have FXR boots too - they are certainly warm but they are a little too bulky and just kept getting in the way of riding when I wore them. But I LOVE my Klim Adrenaline boots - they have been THE best boots I've ever had! (Gone through several HMKs) Still in good condition after 3 years too! One thing I loved immediately about the Adrenaline boots is the slimmer outer profile and the great traction! And it's even better that they keep me dry - I can come home and cook dinner in my boots and pants and be totally comfortable after riding all day!

Premium Features