• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slp stage 4 on a 09 xp

C
Nov 26, 2007
castlegar
Hey guys, im thinking of buying the stage 4 kit from slp for my 09 xp 163. I ride at elevations from 2500 to 7000 ft, is this kit worth the money have any of you guy tried one out. Or would I just be better off saving my money till next year and buy a etec.

M
Nov 13, 2008
E-tec

If it's an option... DEFINATELY!... get an E-tec. The two sleds look identical but if you were blindfolded you would think they were two completely different machines.... Handles better. More power. Better fuel/oil mileage. This is something to kick around too..... XP's are I'n 5th year production and it's time again for DOO to step it up above the competition..... New chassis/?!?!!

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
^^^ That weighed heavily in my decision to not buy a new sled this year

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I've spent some time on a full tilt 06' 159 rev with all the slp work. Gawd it was a nice sled. Every time i rode it i felt like i wanted to buy it from the owner.

Makes for a very nice turnkey sled. It never had any power fade either. This wasn't on an R engine though.

The Cons are its as much money as a big bore. May not have the same power, but you know how big bores go. Some winners lots of losers.

For the guy who wants good power, and still be able to use off the shelf pistons for those, "where going to McCall or Island Park day after tommorrow and i just lunched a piston and its friday afternoon" moments.

Its one of those setups that doens't get alot of talk around here, Just becuase of the $2K+ price tag, but i don't think you can go wrong with it. Cool thing is you can sell all of the parts and probably make at least 50% of your money back. Maybe more.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
If you are looking for a little extra and still be reliable the Stage 4 is alright. Really not a great Porting job in my opinion. Spend an extra $150 and send your cylinders to Trygstad Performance. The porting is much much better and still reliable. I had SLP port mine first and then ended up just sending them to Dave.

If you are looking for a little extra and still be reliable the Stage 4 is alright. Really not a great Porting job in my opinion. Spend an extra $150 and send your cylinders to Trygstad Performance. The porting is much much better and still reliable. I had SLP port mine first and then ended up just sending them to Dave.

Maybe you got a bad job from a new guy or something. I have heard nothing but great things about there porting. When did this happen?

sledhead455

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Can't speak for the stage 4 kit but I have a buddy that runs there full exhaust and head on a 08. I haven't been impressed at all. He runs slps recommended jetting and has never been able to beat my bone stock 08. Runs good doesn't skip a beat but I can't see where it makes any more power.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Can't speak for the stage 4 kit but I have a buddy that runs there full exhaust and head on a 08. I haven't been impressed at all. He runs slps recommended jetting and has never been able to beat my bone stock 08. Runs good doesn't skip a beat but I can't see where it makes any more power.
ya you have to do some clutching with the kit, and not the the recomended clutch thats may be a good start .It rocks clutched:present:

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003

The answer is in your statement, SLP's jetting "spec's" have always been ultra conservative, and are left up to the individual themselves. The stage 3 kit gains are real, not earth shattering, but real if set-up accordingly!

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I had my porting done two years ago. Honestly nothing in comparison to Trygstad's porting. I would do Trydstad's porting with that kit and run .03 under the needle and 560 mains to start with and wait for a new Chassis to come out. Clutching is key. try 413 or 415 ramps, 130-350 or a 160-350 spring and minimal pin weight in the primary.

Premium Features