• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I Ditch the Heavy OEM Battery and get a Lightweight Lithium??? ??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Still toying with the idea of one of the Lightweight battery replacements...
For now the full size goes back in.
picture.php

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmm

ditch that battery and get yoruself a YTZ 10-s or a YTZ7s...easiest and cheapest weight saving on the sled...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmm

ditch that battery and get yoruself a YTZ 10-s or a YTZ7s...easiest and cheapest weight saving on the sled...

I am not sure. . . But I would be worried about the lightweight battery on the supercharger. Unlike a turbocharger the supercharger is added and needs to be turned over on those wicked cold mornings as well. Just saying. I don't know for sure but that would be my first thought.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummmm

I know.
A LOT of people have said that.
But...

I have to admit to being NERVOUS about that.
There is no ripcord on this baby.
We run out of juice for ANY REASON and it BOOT LEATHER CITY on the way out.

The replacements are SMALL. and hold what, 6 amps or so total??

51fJpYZXV%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I bought a lightweight battery three years ago for my supercharged sled. Absolutely no problems. I use a battery tender in the summer time and on cold days. I can't remember what battery I bought. It weighs about 10 less than stock and cost about $50.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I know.
A LOT of people have said that.
But...

I have to admit to being NERVOUS about that.
There is no ripcord on this baby.
We run out of juice for ANY REASON and it BOOT LEATHER CITY on the way out.

The replacements are SMALL. and hold what, 6 amps or so total??

51fJpYZXV%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Uh, well, counsel and advice usually worth what you pay for it....however some of us have been playing this game for a while, and tried most of the stuff, and weeded out the useless stuff...

However, old proverb....there is wisdom in the counsel of many....

And the topic has been beaten to death more than the "yamahas are heavy pigs" diatribes...

And same old arguments of getting stranded...worried? Get jumper cables....MPI makes an uber lightweight set that hooks up to a sleds headlight...any sled...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK Master.

SCHOOL ME!
:face-icon-small-hap

Tell of your experience and WHY I have nothing to fear from dumping the big heavy OEM battery and downsizing to one of the smaller, lighter, sexier batteries.

The Stock OEM Battery is a
Yuasa YTX20L-BS 1800mAh 270 CCA Maintenance-Free
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.php?action=showListing

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="70%"><td class="notpara">Battery Family: Maintenance Free</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Battery Type: YTX20L-BS
</td><td rowspan="8" width="30%">
Not%20Available.jpg
</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Voltage: 12</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Capacity: 18</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Dimensions: 6.875" x 3.4375" x 6.125"</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Weight: 11.2 lbs.</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Metric Dimensions: 175mm x 87mm x 155mm</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Metric Weight: 5.1 kg</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Polarity:
a.gif
</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Acid Volume: 0.93</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">Amps: 1.8</td></tr><tr><td class="notpara">C.C.A.: 270

YTX20HL-BS.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
My biggest concern is always the first start in the morning. You can keep the big one in the truck or trailer to jump if you need to. Once the sled has been running it takes hardly any power to crank it over.

I know I need to do this but just haven't gotten around to it yet. My only question is how much weight is really dropped with one of these things. I have heard ten pounds a lot but is it really that much? The weights on the internet are usually just dry weights so it is hard to get a real estimation out of that.

So to those who have done it what is the real weight savings?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
t350_ad99b4d74b26e81d76aeb6602cbfd87f.jpg
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="color:#000; font-weight:bold; border-right:1px solid #ccc; border-left:1px solid #ccc; font-size:12px; padding:10px;" bgcolor="#ECECEC">Specifications</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="10px" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="pdSS">Battery Family</td><td class="pdL">Factory Activated, Maintenance Free</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Battery Type</td><td class="pdL">YTZ10S</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Voltage</td><td class="pdL">12</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Capacity (AH)</td><td class="pdL">8.6</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Dimensions (in)</td><td class="pdL">6 x 3 7/16 x 3 11/16</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Weight (lbs)</td><td class="pdL">7</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Metric Dimensions (mm)</td><td class="pdL">150 x 87 x 93</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Polarity</td><td class="pdL">+||||-</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">CCA</td><td class="pdL">190</td></tr></tbody></table>
yuasa_1x1_spacer.gif
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border:1px solid #999; padding:25px 23px 10px 23px;" align="left" valign="top"> <table style="width: 547px; height: 117px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="left"></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border:1px solid #ccc;padding:20px 20px 10px 20px;" align="center" valign="middle" width="100%">
t350_8438cdff3ae0481a93529ebf77aa6b7d.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr align="left" valign="top"> <td style="padding:0px; position-relative:0px;" align="left" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="color:#000; font-weight:bold; border-right:1px solid #ccc; border-left:1px solid #ccc; font-size:12px; padding:10px;" bgcolor="#ECECEC">Specifications</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left"> <table border="0" cellpadding="10px" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="pdSS">Battery Family</td><td class="pdL">YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Battery Type</td><td class="pdL">YTZ7S</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Voltage</td><td class="pdL">12</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Capacity (AH)</td><td class="pdL">6</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Dimensions (in)</td><td class="pdL">4 7/16 x 2 3/4 x 4 1/8</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Weight (lbs)</td><td class="pdL">4.6</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Metric Dimensions (mm)</td><td class="pdL">113 x 70 x 105</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">Polarity</td><td class="pdL">-||||+</td></tr><tr><td class="pdSS">CCA</td><td class="pdL">130</td></tr></tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
yuasa_1x1_spacer.gif

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Run the Stock battery. YOu will be choked when your stranded in the backcountry. BUt on the plus side your sled will be 7 lbs lighter

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I have used the 10 couple yrs, buddies were using the 7. Like Roest said, the 7 is too small. The R1 uses the 10 in the street bike, I know were not riding a street bike or summer weather. There is alot of quads that also use the 10, so it is a common battery. But if your not wanting any starting issues, just leave the 20 in & not worry about couple lbs.

T

TApeX_07

I have been running an Interstate YTZ 7s in my sled for 3 years now. I havent pulled the battery out for any of those summer years and it has NEVER failed me. Including, late January, Ely, MN nights.

Last edited:
Premium Features