• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E Tec Clutch Kits

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
I'm sure there are other posts out there regarding this but I'm having a hard time finding something that gives all of the information.

1. Is a Clutch Kit the most cost effective performance upgrade?

2. What is best kit out there? I know I've heard great things about Rooster Built but I sent them a message about 3 weeks ago without a response (Not a good sign). I think I have also heard of a Team Something and Dynamoe Joe but don't know if they have kits for the e tec.

3. What do the kits run $$?

4. What are the expected results?

Thanks for your help!

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Roosterbuilt logged a lot of hours testing different combinations last winter contact Winterbrew via PM, he'll let you know what they came up with. Roosterbuilt as a business usually take the summer months off as they also have day jobs, but pick up again in the fall. Dynamo Joey at mxz.revzone has a kit out there, not sure of the prices but it should be listed at his website, :thumb: both guys are great to deal with, both are sure to be better than stock.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Both kits are damn near identical performance wise. And the prices are pretty even also. I chose DJ's kit because (IMO) so much more came with it. I mean, that guy is super friendly and will talk your ear off all day about clutching. I originally called to get info and then compare with the RB kit but Joey impressed me so much firsthand, I just went with his kit.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
For the eTec? I ran RB on my 2010, great kit. Talked with him the other day and his is not out yet, will be soon. I see that DJ's is out for eTec and may order it, just curious if yours is with the eTec or not.

Both kits are damn near identical performance wise. And the prices are pretty even also. I chose DJ's kit because (IMO) so much more came with it. I mean, that guy is super friendly and will talk your ear off all day about clutching. I originally called to get info and then compare with the RB kit but Joey impressed me so much firsthand, I just went with his kit.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Yes mine is the E Tec. I sent Winter Brew a PM about 2 weeks ago without a response. How much did you pay for the DJ kit?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes mine is the E Tec. I sent Winter Brew a PM about 2 weeks ago without a response. How much did you pay for the DJ kit?

PM returned, sorry for the delay.
We expect to see some e-tec setups later this week....they have shipped.

These will be for the 2011 only at this point, there are some significant changes on the 2012's and we will be working with those when the snow flies.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Hello.

Note; My Etec 800 clutch kit is a stand alone clutch kit compared to the 10, 09, 08 XP 800 kits. The etec has a different powershape than the non-etec and to capture this new power shape required a new custom cut helix.
Yes you can use the etec kit in the 800R and it runs just fine with a few tweaks, but in the end the QR11 helix still goes out to the 10, 09, 08 XP 800 kits.

Here is my Etec 800 clutch kit Usual kit comes with 2 parts, helix and pin kit. Use stock primary spring. Primary spring will be added if its required, depends on your gearing application, usually when running with 20:51 or 19:51 - but we'd chat about that before your decision.

History
Testing and commissioning of the Etec 800 clutch kit. There is 2 seasons of this helix under my belt.

Biggest tracks
The NC-D2 helix got in for testing;
163 x 3" 174 x 3" and blessed with being able to get one in those rare 189" tracks. :face-icon-small-ton

Feedback
Showy, superb exhibition of power, ability to maintain 8050 rpms and stead solid track speed, ability for long period of full throttle, slow gain of heat....great tech support.

Price
Regular in season $240
Im letting them go right now for $215, you can't beat that price with a stick. :devil:

Order
Online order form

Delays
Illustration of my summer work "construction". However started to slowly get to emails and send kits out starting middle of last week.

Thanks
joey

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Given changes to 2012 should we also assume your kit is only for the 2011?

Hello.

Here is my Etec 800 clutch kit Usual kit comes with 2 parts, helix and pin kit. Use stock primary spring. Primary spring will be added if its required, depends on your gearing application, usually when running with 20:51 or 19:51 - but we'd chat about that before your decision.

History
Testing and commissioning of the Etec 800 clutch kit. There is 2 seasons of this helix under my belt.

Biggest tracks
The NC-D2 helix got in for testing;
163 x 3" 174 x 3" and blessed with being able to get one in those rare 189" tracks. :face-icon-small-ton

Feedback
Showy, superb exhibition of power, ability to maintain 8050 rpms and stead solid track speed, ability for long period of full throttle, slow gain of heat....great tech support.

Price
Regular in season $240
Im letting them go right now for $215, you can't beat that price with a stick. :devil:

Order
Online order form

Delays
Illustration of my summer work "construction". However started to slowly get to emails and send kits out starting middle of last week.

Thanks
joey

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I have used both kits on sleds in the past, both are great kits if you are looking for something to slap on and ride. If there was an edge I would say DJ for your lake racers and RB for the steep and deep.....But like I said they are pertnear equal in performance on the snow.

A
Aug 28, 2011
Hi joey i sent you a message but i know your busy but i am looking for this kit for my summit x 146" 800 etec but need a dual elevation setup i will send you a new pm thanks Nick

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Brew what are the big changes for the 2012 ETECs that would make your current ETEC clutch not work?

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Given changes to 2012 should we also assume your kit is only for the 2011?
Anything I say, can, and will be used against me, so I will only make two comments;

1)As each season progress', I prepare for the year ahead proceeding with caution in deliberating with the most suitable means to accomplish the exercise of predicting the power output and chassis efficiency of in this case, 2012 and

2) After covering my arse, yes I am 100% confident that the kit is a drop-in-and-drive with little tune for the 2012 model.

3) Again, Bow Cycle in Calgary, Riderz in Edson will contribute. Just waiting to hear back from a dealer friend in Utah and see what they have up their sleeve for me.

:devil:

Last edited:

800HMX

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2002
Okotoks, AB
We rode with several of the DJ E tech kits last year and they worked very well. DJ even had a kit in the Bow Cycle Demo Sled for most of last year. A lot of people rode or rode with that sled.

All his clutch kits including the e tech have worked very well and his tech support is second to no one.

The best money you could spend to improve the performance of your sled.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
We rode with several of the DJ E tech kits last year and they worked very well. DJ even had a kit in the Bow Cycle Demo Sled for most of last year. A lot of people rode or rode with that sled.

All his clutch kits including the e tech have worked very well and his tech support is second to no one.

The best money you could spend to improve the performance of your sled.

thats how we feel about RoosterBuilt out west:face-icon-small-win,,,,,ya know where there's hills:face-icon-small-sho

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Brew what are the big changes for the 2012 ETECs that would make your current ETEC clutch not work?
\

I understand there will be different gearing, helix, secondary spring. That's what I have heard so far....and since we keep some of the stock components from the '11's, if those change for '12 then it will alter what needs to be included in the setup.
Then there is the possibility of the '12 setup actually working good in a mountain application, if they get rid of that reverse angle helix that will be a step in the right direction. We don't want to offer a clutch setup just for the sake of selling a setup....we want to actually KNOW it's an improvement over what the factory has done for the type of riding we do.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have 3 ETECs coming. A Freeride, a 154" X and a 163 X. I was planning on getting your clutch set ups for all 3. Need any guinea pigs? Is there something we can do at the start of the season or should I just run stock until you get some experience with the new sleds. BTW, I live in Auburn so you are really convenient for me.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have 3 ETECs coming. A Freeride, a 154" X and a 163 X. I was planning on getting your clutch set ups for all 3. Need any guinea pigs? Is there something we can do at the start of the season or should I just run stock until you get some experience with the new sleds. BTW, I live in Auburn so you are really convenient for me.

We are also getting a 163X and a Freeride. Check back after we have some time on them, if the changes I hear are fact, they will be a good sled, just adjust pin weight for altitude for now and if there are gains to be had, that's what we will offer. Stop by the shop for a beverage sometime, we should start being there every evening by late October.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I'm sure there are other posts out there regarding this but I'm having a hard time finding something that gives all of the information.

1. Is a Clutch Kit the most cost effective performance upgrade?

2. What is best kit out there? I know I've heard great things about Rooster Built but I sent them a message about 3 weeks ago without a response (Not a good sign). I think I have also heard of a Team Something and Dynamoe Joe but don't know if they have kits for the e tec.

3. What do the kits run $$?

4. What are the expected results?

Thanks for your help!
delete.

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
The secondary spring that people are viewing at the current time is the 160/220

To even get the same belt clamp forces as a 43/47 w/231/300 using the advertised 160/220 would have to be married to a 38.5 straight angle helix and that would only provide the same forces up to about mid track speeds. The QRS helix does not have the capacity to have a final finish angle lower than 38 degrees until you get higher than a 42 start angle as there is no room for the rollers to make a full rotational sweep to make even 1:1 clutch ratio.

To get the same belt forces from 0mph to 1:1 shift the calibration would have to be 160/270 with a 38.5/40 reverse helix.

Don’t trust the microfiche, it ain't accurate until the season is in full swing.
I would take a stab saying "everything, is as it was" :becky:

Last edited:
Premium Features