• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrading from 09 XPX to 11 XPX etec. How is the reliablity

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
I was wondering if you guys could answer any of the following.

What can will work well without hindering performance. I have HPS on my 09 and love it. Will this one work on the 11?

Is the e-tec reliable so far?

If you lost an engine what was the circumstance and how did you get it repaired?

Any other common failures that I should seriously concider?

Winter Brew, How is your shop e-tec performing?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Great sled, no problems. HPS is a good silencer, your '09 silencer will not work on the etec.
I didn't like the stock skis, SLT's work good on this chassis, and the rear scissor relocate brackets really help keep the nose down and make it more predictable.
I've not heard of any consistant problems.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Thanks for the comments . On the '11 you dont like the ski's and the rear scissor needs adjustment?

What can are you guys running on the e-tech? I have not been able to find much stating power gain or loss. Have you guys done any performance mods? Or, made any clutching improvements?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just do a silencer for the weight loss, not much power to be gained there.
We have run Dyno-Port exhaust, Bondi airbox, played ALOT with clutching and there are gains to be found in all those areas.

W
Aug 2, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
I had great luck with my 154. I did some secondary clutch work - straight 44 helix and stiffer spring. Changed one belt at approx 1200km as I noticed threads coming off and other than that it was gas-and-go with a total of 2000km+ on last year. I rode it next to my 09 163 on the second last ride of the year and couldn't get my buddy stopped fast enough to switch back to the 11 - no comparison in handling. The e-tec is amazing - starts every time - runs upside down(no flooding) - excellent on fuel. Uses more oil than I was lead to believe but that does not bother me at all. Very little smoke on start-up. I had a buddy blow and eng at approx 3000km - if I remember right they said the ring positioner pin came out causing failure??

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
I had great luck with my 154. I did some secondary clutch work - straight 44 helix and stiffer spring. Changed one belt at approx 1200km as I noticed threads coming off and other than that it was gas-and-go with a total of 2000km+ on last year. I rode it next to my 09 163 on the second last ride of the year and couldn't get my buddy stopped fast enough to switch back to the 11 - no comparison in handling. The e-tec is amazing - starts every time - runs upside down(no flooding) - excellent on fuel. Uses more oil than I was lead to believe but that does not bother me at all. Very little smoke on start-up. I had a buddy blow and eng at approx 3000km - if I remember right they said the ring positioner pin came out causing failure??

Yeah same exact thing with my friends 11 etec. Ring postioner came out spun and hooked the ring and blew her up. Frank May ski-doo luckily had one of a few complete etec motors on the shelf and ski-doo naturally waranteed it and he was back in business in less than a week. I think he had about 1500 miles on it. My 11 has about 750 miles. No problems and ran great all season.

W
Aug 2, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
And yes, it was an e-tec although it appears that the dealers analysis determined it was bad fuel that caused the failure???? and NOT ring positioner - his is a 2011 e-tec renegade snow check. He still got warrenty though.

M

Maxwe

Dec 1, 2007
Alberta
yes they are talking about fuel being bad and not the ring positioner but there is a connection, what they are saying is the ring positioner fails becasue the bad fuel causes detenation which causes the ring positioner to fail. With the connection being the detenation causes knock with the violent vibrations that effect the ring positioner.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

the handling difference is mostly the narrow Stance and the additional front skid pressure,however the flatter approach angle of the 09 will perform better in deep powder, Just depends what you using the sled for.Why are u upside down?

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
the handling difference is mostly the narrow Stance and the additional front skid pressure,however the flatter approach angle of the 09 will perform better in deep powder, Just depends what you using the sled for.Why are u upside down?

Can you explain the flatter 09 approach angle? Not following you there. I have an 09 163 and 11 163. The 11 runs away from the 09.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Can you explain the flatter 09 approach angle? Not following you there. I have an 09 163 and 11 163. The 11 runs away from the 09.

reasons one sled runs away from another could be a multitude of things,many adjustments and how much performance has been lost from wrongfull mods. The 09 has flatter rails up to the drivers which give it a heavier steering but better powder performance to keep skid flat

W
Aug 2, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Some of the handling issues I'm sure are due to the fact that I am a smaller guy and am only 170lbs so the 163 is a fairly big track to throw around on harder snow. Also installed a challenger extreme so it is a bit stiffer too. Don't get me wrong, I can handle a sled just fine but the 154 with the narrower stance is easier for me to throw around in the trees and side hill. The P-Tek as you know would flood like crazy when rolled out. The E-tec can be rolled out and no issues starting - one draw back that I encountered when I did a front flip after hitting a rock with the skid - the sled did a 180* and landed upside down and ran just fine - even reved out! I had to dig out the kill switch to get it stopped - had I been wearing my tether.......

D
Dec 17, 2007
skidoo freeride

got my etec in november and never had a real problem other then a couple random check engine lights. but no performance was lost. the low quality fuel does make a difference but if you slowly mix it into the system the computer seems to compensate (waay less power) till you add better fuel. i also did the reflash mid season too and didnt really loose any thing. i have been running an mbrp can and havent gotten any problems with that too. over all it was a great first winter with the sled and i am very happy. just need this snow to start!

Premium Features