• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why in the World???

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
So why in the world would they spend time and money on this? Removing snow from the gate to the Ranger Station? What a mess!!! Riding down the side will be a little sketchy. :face-icon-small-sad
So leaving from the North Slope parking lot isn't going to be so convenient anymore if your riding up the highway.

IMG_0349.jpg

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Isn't there enough room to park vehicles on the side while still allowing room for vehicles to pass?

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
BTW. I'm standing on the bridge and the Bear River isn't crossable anymore. Really, this screwed a lot of riders from getting out to take advantage of all this spring riding. We had a good amount of snow on the highway.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
The forest service arranged or did this. Does that really surprise you? Ask one of the rangers next time you see them and I am sure it will still not make a bit of sense.

I guess not! Darn them. And to think of the money we gave them this year to do this. Urggg!!!

Hey Adam, I heard Roger sold all but 2 of his sleds. Lodge can't be doing much business now. :face-icon-small-dis

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Not the Forest Service but the State. They are committed to having the highway open by June. They say July 4, but the unspoken commitment is actually Memorial Day. They will have that gate open in a couple of days and plowing up from there. It will start from the other side too. They have 2 augers to work from both sides if need be.

sled_guy

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Not the Forest Service but the State. They are committed to having the highway open by June. They say July 4, but the unspoken commitment is actually Memorial Day. They will have that gate open in a couple of days and plowing up from there. It will start from the other side too. They have 2 augers to work from both sides if need be.

sled_guy

I have to disagree here, the state (kamas area anyway) usually does a good job at keeping the snowline accessible through this plowing process....unless of course you happen to be riding the day they cut 2 miles of road. The forest service wants access to there buildings and they don't have any regard to the users, in fact they tend to lock people out (its this way all year round). Monte Cristo is usually a PITA since they decide to keep the bottom gate locked well into the summer...till the road is officially open. Tony's Grove is unique in that they open the gate at the bottom to allow sleds to access the snow at user discretion.....I don't know any other place in the state the forest service does this for us....open a gate before late June. Guardsman Nope, Farmington Nope, A.F. NEVER!!!, Payson Canyon Nope, Butterflied Canyon Nope......there are still a few places that don't have gates and leave it up to user discretion, but don't let the forest service know they will put an end to that in no time.

If the funding really is as bad as they make it sound they will not have money to get hwy 150 open for memorial day...maybe fish day.....hopefully not till fathers day

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Not sure how it works out there...but we have a road that gets plowed in the middle of the season up to a super max site. Kinda of a mess for the 3-4 weeks it can take to clear the road.

But we have found a simple solution over the years. Just make friends with the guys plowing the road. A few cold beverages sure goes along way, not to mention stopping and shooting the breeze if they have the time. Show a little interest in their work...you know...simple stuff.

Now during the whole process they make sure to always plow a couple wide spots to park and turn around. It's not in their contract....but with heavy equip it just takes a few extra minutes, and why not help out some swell sledders. ;)

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
That sux. We dropped down Phelps Brook out of Soapstone expecting to ride Hgwy 35 back up to Wolf Creek Summit on Sunday. FAIL! Plowing had begun already on the East side of 35 so had to back track to the top.

S

sledchick

Nov 26, 2007
NSL, UT
So why in the world would they spend time and money on this? Removing snow from the gate to the Ranger Station? What a mess!!! Riding down the side will be a little sketchy. :face-icon-small-sad
So leaving from the North Slope parking lot isn't going to be so convenient anymore if your riding up the highway.

IMG_0349.jpg

Come on Jeanette...whats the worst that could happen?? You'd go over the bars?? haha!! Gosh darn Ranger Rick! Put on your U-Crew Badge! :face-icon-small-win

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Come on Jeanette...whats the worst that could happen?? You'd go over the bars?? haha!! Gosh darn Ranger Rick! Put on your U-Crew Badge! :face-icon-small-win

Nope, not that. I like going over my bars. :face-icon-small-win

Better known as "Kiss of Death". LOL!!! :face-icon-small-win

I don't want to have to trespass or use the no snowmobilers allowed cross country ski trail to bypass the road. :face-icon-small-dis

kiss of death.gif

Last edited:

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Not really trespassing when they have stopped grooming their trails now.:face-icon-small-win I'll be using them.

In the past few years Memorial Day has not been an option to open, in fact they have threatened to change the date of the High Uinta Classic road race due to snow conditions and this year may present the same problem. http://www.evanstoncycling.org/HighUintasClassic.html

They had to access a building on the Lily Lake Road and that is the reason they plowed to the Ranger Station and through another private gate.

S

sledchick

Nov 26, 2007
NSL, UT
Looks like breaking trail is gonna be a new challenge.. I'm up for it.... "SIDE OF THE ROAD MANIA I" :face-icon-small-win

back where I come from...it's called ditchbangin...hahaha! Ditchbangin' my ditch pickle!! haha :face-icon-small-coo

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com

Hey Adam, I heard Roger sold all but 2 of his sleds. Lodge can't be doing much business now. :face-icon-small-dis

Wow, he must of sold them really cheap to one of those back east outfits. I haven't seen any ads on ksl or ebay.

sled_guy

They have only had the hwy open by Memorial day once in the last 5 years and that was because it melted off that year. They have never committed to having it plowed by Memorial day. On heavier snow years we usually see it cleared just barely in time for the Over the top bicycle race usually around June 15th or so.

Premium Features