• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor/clutch tower brace

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
Well, i dont know what to tell you. I wouldnt use that. First off, your transmitting engine vibration to your drive system. Are you trying to stiffen the clutch tower or the make the engine more rigid? If it were my sled i would scrap that home made deal and do something a little different. I would use the bulkhead for rigidness. Not connect two things that cant help eachother. Let me know what you decide on..Good Luck..

R
Jan 3, 2008
From an Engineering stand point the theory is sound. The forces that your are trying to counteract are resulting from the two clutches trying to move closer together. The brace appears to be at or near the same centerline. If you look closely at the videos on "U" tube regarding this clutch set up you will notice that the rear motor mount is actual moving considerably more than the front. The bumper pad I see in the picture should help minimize the vibration transfer
As with any prototype there could be some underlying issues but keep us posted as I think you are on the right track

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I do agree with REVSS. But, i have braced the clutch tower do to it moving. I have seen a torque similar to his design built and created more problems than good. The one i had seen broke the mounts on the tower. What i have been trying to achieve is brace the tower from the bulk head and also brace the rear engine mount to the frame with a torque stop. Either way im sure the basic probelm with be solved.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
it looks to me like you need some kind of bracing on the back end of the secondary tower

the forces are cancelled towards each other but the force will manifest itself on the back half of the secondary tower IMHO

record your staert KM and let us know

definatnley a good start

D
Mar 3, 2008
I think it looks good I was looking at doing something like that, I notice the back pto motor mount really lifts when you gun it, this should solve that .if that stopper is tight you might get some extra vibration ,but it should work.

B
Nov 10, 2009
Calgary
Sled Shed has the fix

Al and Pete have the perfect solution to the problem light weight effective engine brace. This stops the alignment problems that have been occuring in the 08 and 09 XP's. The problem was the engine mount holes there not round they are oblong this allows the left torque the engine is producing to transfer and move on the mounts after time. Had a buddy ride last week he asked me to take his for a rip and chk it out. at 6000 rpm the thing felt like it was going to fly appart so I poped the panel and saw the primary was out of line and it was chewing the inside of the panel. Took it to the Sled Shed and all is fine now. Doo should hire these guys as consultants and we would have alot better factory generated product. The brace should have been a recall on Doo's part and they won't openly admit theeir failure strangly enough the 10's have changed the engine mounts so no movment can occur.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would not run that brace in the pic. The engine moves...it is SUPPOSED to move. IMO more likely to break the secondary tower with that brace than without. Has anyone personally seen one break? And if so, what were the circumstances? I ask because I have heard of a couple breaking from customers and they both had braces.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
Broken Tower

Last season i was riding with a guy who had braced his clutch tower to the engine. I cant remember how it was braced, but what i do remember is that we noticed the front side of the tower had pulled away from the chassis due to the torque. He was relying on the strength of the clutch tower to overcome the torque of the engine. He eventually replaced the tower and fabricated his own chassis torque stops. I havent seen him since but i would like to see how he has fixed his problem.

T

Turbokarlsen

Nov 30, 2007
I would not run that brace in the pic. The engine moves...it is SUPPOSED to move. IMO more likely to break the secondary tower with that brace than without. Has anyone personally seen one break? And if so, what were the circumstances? I ask because I have heard of a couple breaking from customers and they both had braces.

Can you tell us why you think the tower will breake? I can not see that. The engine is allowed to move, but very little.There is a rubber in there. This stop the movement between the primary and the secondary clutch. Put your xp on a stand and wot it.... look between the clutches, it moves against each other! (video on youtube) I think this helps not to break the tower. The engine can not move much, neither can the tower. we will try this when we have got the correct specs for clutch alignment for this sled.

Turbokarlsen

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
you are bracing the jackshaft tower that you don't want to move to something (engine) that moves? I hope this works out for you, good luck, but I think it will be more trouble than good. after building multiple xp's (carbon fibre) I do believe this tower needs to be braced. we have built a couple braces that go to the front a-frame that seem to be working good.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Can you tell us why you think the tower will breake? I can not see that. The engine is allowed to move, but very little.There is a rubber in there. This stop the movement between the primary and the secondary clutch. Put your xp on a stand and wot it.... look between the clutches, it moves against each other! (video on youtube) I think this helps not to break the tower. The engine can not move much, neither can the tower. we will try this when we have got the correct specs for clutch alignment for this sled.

Turbokarlsen

The engine actually moves ALOT.....and it would be applying load to the tower that it was never designed to take. Might be OK....but for me it wouldn't be worth the gamble.

T

Turbokarlsen

Nov 30, 2007
The engine actually moves ALOT.....and it would be applying load to the tower that it was never designed to take. Might be OK....but for me it wouldn't be worth the gamble.

What is making the engine move? The load on the tower is exactly the same as the engine. This is why both clutches are drawn against each other. The load is equal at both sides. The only way the engine can load the tower now (as i can see it) is if the front part of the chassis flex and pull the engine against the tower. I made it this way because i think the load always must go in a straight line from the center-crankshaft to the center-jackshaft bearing.

Ps. the tower is also supportet by a rod, going over the engine and fixed to the front.....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
You may be correct. there is only one way to find out for sure ;):beer;

I hear what you're saying about the force cancelling each other out (equal on both sides). My quesion would be....if the engine moves alot without any brace, then you add this brace and there is no movement.....then where EXACTLY is that force going? What path is it taking and what fasteners will now see the load that USED to be engine movement?
Stock it is distributed between the motor mounts and the tower brace......will there be MORE force applied to the front motor mounts? Will the tower itself take the load?
It's a good idea if it works, does it transfer much vibration? Let us know how it works :beer;

T

Turbokarlsen

Nov 30, 2007
You may be correct. there is only one way to find out for sure ;):beer;

I hear what you're saying about the force cancelling each other out (equal on both sides). My quesion would be....if the engine moves alot without any brace, then you add this brace and there is no movement.....then where EXACTLY is that force going? What path is it taking and what fasteners will now see the load that USED to be engine movement?
Stock it is distributed between the motor mounts and the tower brace......will there be MORE force applied to the front motor mounts? Will the tower itself take the load?
It's a good idea if it works, does it transfer much vibration? Let us know how it works :beer;

The load will go straight through this new mount :) And since the engine and tower dont move (so much) the aligment will be more correct under load, and more load can find its way to the track .... were we want it to be. I expect som vibrations......

Last edited:
Premium Features