• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Waterproof tunnel bag?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Its been on for prob 15 days of riding. I applied a big strip of velcro to the tunnel and the bag. Use the bags buckles to attach it to the bumper or if that doesnt work you could add some kinda hooks. Its is totally WP and is working great. Ive even done a lil modding and it holds my 2nd shovel now.

I like it.. doesnt look like a suitcase. sj

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Well, I bought one of those deck bags last night at the store, a yellow one as I didn't realize I had options. Got it home and layed it on my tunnel and I think it is going to be PERFECT. Took it back today and ordered a black one! :D Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

I'm going to use the same kind of attachment system I've currently got for my gas cans, I think that is going work juuuussssssssst fine!

IMG_0210.jpg
[/

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Atta girl ! Yea your hooks should work well. Once there is a lil snow on the tunnel the bags slides around alot. The velcro probably isnt absolutely required but it sure works on mine. I had to get the velcro sewed on to the bottom on the bag as nothing would stick to it. Use 3m spray adhesive on the tunnel . Let me know if you need any info. sj

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
This post got me thinking and so yesterday I stopped by the local paddling shop and checked out those deck bags. I came home sold on the idea and order a black one. :D

So - CG - you need to let me know how your hooks work for installation and stability. :p

I figure if the snow is going to suck, at least I can spend all this down time outfitting my new ride.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
pics

Hi Kids... if this works you will see pics of how i mounted my kayak bag to my xp kayak. Here is a few notes
- spray glue a large chunk of velcro to the tunnel and have one sewn onto the bag( i could not find a glue that would stick to the bag) Once the snow gets on the bag its super stick and i think it would tear loose without the velcro.

- i used 1/4" strapping to loop under the bumper to make a loop to run the bags straps thru. Prob a xp only
thing. Cgirls hardware or some other creative ideas will work too.

- I got a pc of vinyl and put in as a liner for the bottom of the bag to keep stuff from eventually wearing a hole thru the bottom of the bag, if you have a good sewer type dude around id have them sew that to the bottom on the bag before the velcro. The bag is going to move around a lil even with the velcro so some extra material would be good.

- I had a guy sew up a sleeve for the shovel handle and used the bags straps to hold it in place

- i had a old SOS back pack i stole the shovel pouch from and attached it to the bag.

2 seasons 400 miles and no probs yet:D

tunnel bag 003.jpg

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Here's pics of my bag installed. Got to try it out yesterday and it works great. Using the truck floor mat underneath it keeps it from moving, it's really grippy! The bungie system on top of the bag worked great to hold my coat when I got to hot to wear it! :D Totally diggin' this bag!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3828.jpg

Close up
IMG_3833.jpg

Floor mat
IMG_3834.jpg

1/4"x1/2" long carriage bolt is what I used, it slides right into the grooves.
IMG_3836.jpg

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Bag

Here's pics of my bag installed. Got to try it out yesterday and it works great. Using the truck floor mat underneath it keeps it from moving, it's really grippy! The bungie system on top of the bag worked great to hold my coat when I got to hot to wear it! :D Totally diggin' this bag!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3828.jpg

Close up
IMG_3833.jpg

Floor mat
IMG_3834.jpg

1/4"x1/2" long carriage bolt is what I used, it slides right into the grooves.
IMG_3836.jpg

how did you secure the floor mat down ?
I have a voretec rack on my sled, do you think I will still need to add something to the underneath side ? Been looking for a good bag for awhile
now I think this might be the one.

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Not sure what material your bag is made out of. This bag is pvc material and I figured it would be super slippery when wet and we all know how long straps last when things wiggle (not long). I also wanted to use the floor mat as it would allow air underneath the bag and dry out moisture in between rides. :beer;

Last year I used black silicone (for my homemade gas rack that used the same mat) and it lasted the season. For this I used 3m spray adhesive to secure the mat.

Last edited:
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Pics of attached bag

DSC05389.jpg

DSC05387.jpg

I did not put down a mat or anything underneath the bag. Attached this way it does NOT move at all. I am going to get some high density foam to put in the bottom so that stuff in the bag does not bounce around and wear a whole in the bag from the inside out. My stuff stayed nice and dry and it was easy to get to my snacks and energy drinks. I'm very happy with it so far. However, one of the loops for the bunge contraption on the top broke, so I will likely re-thread the thing through the nylon strapping. I might have been a bit over zealous when tightening the bunge on my baseball cap.

just an fyi for all interested in that particular kayak bag, as i am, except its in the yellow version, is on a close out sale at rei-outlet.com for 34.93 + $5.99 shipping or free to store shipping, if you happen to be near a rei store. item # 785138. wish they had black for that price!

didnt realise i was in the ladies section, i was just scrolling through, saw "waterproof tunnel bag ?", have been looking for a similar solution for my sled, read through the posts , did an online search and came across the info i posted above. i wont go near this section again.

Premium Features