• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who will be Lost First??

So with a fresh riding season well under way I have to ask myself....I wonder where the first group of morons will be from this year that get stuck/lost/dead in our state??

I'm going with TEXAS. Big money, big hats, big waistline, zero brains.

:beer;:beer;:D:beer;:beer;

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Wow I hope it's not anybody close to you? :eek:

Even after taking every precaution traveling in the backcountry can turn on anybody at anytime.

I would prefer to hope that nobody finds themselves in this situation.

:beer;

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
I dunno... last season there seemed to be plenty of stories involving locals.

I think at some point we are all gonna spend the night out.

However I'm sure there will be a story of a lost family from Texas

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co
Hmm how to respond? You must be the guy that has never had his sled break down ,or drop into a ravine on that deep day and have trouble getting out. O yea only a brainless turd would do that. I consider myself good at knowing directions and where I'm at ,but sometimes **it happens that is out of your control. Keep that in mind as you might be the one asking for help someday and hopefully there will be someone to help!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Pack what you need, be ready for what can happen out there... a little planning can prevent a big problem...

So apparantly I am the only one that notices some of these stories in the paper (like sledskiing said)there's always numberous out of state families getting stranded.

Jesus guys I'm not wishing any ILL fate on anyone, trying to be 'Special' because I am Native and haven't had to light my sled on fire to make it through the night, nor did I lead thoughts to me passing a fellow, stranded sled head or ANYONE for that matter. PHUK! Let's play a little game, Guess what finger I'm holding up? :D

Never had a sled break down? HAHAHAHAHA......until 4 years ago I spent more time pulling my junk around then riding.

I find the stories of these people interesting, so I am wondering if anyone has balls enough to state thier opinions instead of throwing up the bashings on a real topic........

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Daaaayummm, purty hard on us down here aren't ya?

No biggie NoCoastNesse...there are a lot of brainless twits that think they know everything and get lost up there. I will certainly give you that and I realize that this is just a game. However, I like to think that I'm doing everything to keep from being a statistic...avy gear, well stocked pack, ride with locals, etc.

So, my guess is that it WON'T be somebody from Texas first.

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007
So apparantly I am the only one that notices some of these stories in the paper (like sledskiing said)there's always numberous out of state families getting stranded.

Jesus guys I'm not wishing any ILL fate on anyone, trying to be 'Special' because I am Native and haven't had to light my sled on fire to make it through the night, nor did I lead thoughts to me passing a fellow, stranded sled head or ANYONE for that matter. PHUK! Let's play a little game, Guess what finger I'm holding up? :D

Never had a sled break down? HAHAHAHAHA......until 4 years ago I spent more time pulling my junk around then riding.

I find the stories of these people interesting, so I am wondering if anyone has balls enough to state thier opinions instead of throwing up the bashings on a real topic........

I had to laugh when i read your original post.. I am a native to and that is pretty much the first thoughts that came to mind.. Just to many eye witness accounts to deny it!

So there, it's out in the open, CO natives are big a-holes and carry an attitude towards transplants, but I don't think that has ever stopped me from being a decent person and helping someone out. (you are probably the same right) I am just cussing them silently in the back of my mind ;)

Oh yea, and I don't think I know one other person other then the wifey that is a native whom I snowboard or ride with.... So even tho I am cussing ya for living in "my" state and riding "my" pow I will still dig you out and gladly accept your help when I am @ssed out.

Flame on!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Ft. Collins,co

I'm probably as guilty as you when I hear this stuff I think how did these people git into this situ they must be bumazzes. I agree with you there are way to many retreads at the trailhead not planing out there day with the correct supplies, but I've also been close to being stranded once when my motor let go on a really deep day(to deep to walk out period). That was a nice big fat piece of humble pie!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Like wise, many of these guys do not own their own sleds but are renting. Why are these rental companies not doing more to prevent this. Maybe they do, but people need to be told that they can freeze to death and that it is a long walk. They need to know where thy are going and to be prepared for an emergency. I know of a couple rental places that plop people in front of a TV to wach a 5-10 minute training video and then get a DL and credit card and send them on their way.

H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
I disagree, We had an overnight stay a few years back. Early season, bingo fuel and darkness set in on us fast. I knew exactly where we were but it was so dark we decided to stay put and spend the night. We rode out at daylight so we didn't run out of gas trying to get back. Wasn't too bad found out what I was needing in my survival kit :) Never made the news no reason too really. It can happen to anyone especially when it's not cloudy with no moon. You really can't see much past the headlight. Since then we all bought Rino GPS's and know how to use em.

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Me and some friends were thinking of spending the night somewhere out on RE's as a test. We were thinking of a few miles away from the MC lot where we would have cell phone converage. We could call Bushy if we ran into trouble. He'd come out with a bottle of whiskey :)

H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Me and some friends were thinking of spending the night somewhere out on RE's as a test. We were thinking of a few miles away from the MC lot where we would have cell phone converage. We could call Bushy if we ran into trouble. He'd come out with a bottle of whiskey :)

Good idea, Only take what your carring now nothing extra for the trip. You will quickly realize what your missing. :D Forget about cell phone coverage if you run into trouble go back to the truck. I recommend you stay someplace you know for sure you can get back from in the dark.

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Most of the sledders that get lost usually are those with their own sleds. Around Eagle and Summit County most of the people that go out from Texas or any other place as tourists will go with a guided service.

Then there are the ones that own a unit, home in the Mtns and they are experts on the ways of the backcountry. (Not just Texans, but they stick out). They will be the first to tell you that "Well, I'm from Texas". Automatic red flag warning to stupidity. These people with the imagination that they are locals, are the ones that we usually see stuck, lost or in trouble. Not acclimated and out of shape.

Then the people that just moved here. (Locals) Local status means that you have just moved here and landed a job as whatever, and can now have an attitude. I moved here from Mn in 1976, I don't use local or native. I just threaten people with Lutefisk. New "Locals" are a great threat. Flatlanders with a sled, not the same as riding the flat country.

Natives usually have seen enough from being stranded in the backcounry to have their head on straight and hang out ice fishing, on the trail or the Hat in Leadville.

So what it comes down to imo, is it can happen to anybody. Attitude and being prepared is key for riding in the mtns. If you know it all, great, I will see you stuck or broke in the backcountry. I will laugh and help you out as I hope you would with me.

So who will we see first? Probably me. I will never learn. Alcohol has nothing to do with it, I was born stupid. :D

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Good idea, Only take what your carring now nothing extra for the trip. You will quickly realize what your missing. :D Forget about cell phone coverage if you run into trouble go back to the truck. I recommend you stay someplace you know for sure you can get back from in the dark.

Thinking of doing it a weekend when the riding isn't that great. We'll have our campers in the MC lot. We'll only carry what we have but i'm def packing some booze :)

C
May 12, 2008
Like wise, many of these guys do not own their own sleds but are renting. Why are these rental companies not doing more to prevent this. Maybe they do, but people need to be told that they can freeze to death and that it is a long walk. They need to know where thy are going and to be prepared for an emergency. I know of a couple rental places that plop people in front of a TV to wach a 5-10 minute training video and then get a DL and credit card and send them on their way.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder which company out of Camp Hale that would be? Or what adventure ridge use to do before that poor ski racing girl got hit and they axed snowmobile rentals.
When I was a guide, we told them those thing you just mentioned MHA. Trust me, whether you tell these people or not, sometimes people just do whatever the heII they want to. Dan Marino for one. I once even told a guy about going off trail and the probability of hitting a big rock or stump he would not know about. He did just that. It was early and the snow was not set up yet. Some will listen and some just simply will not, when it comes to tours. I've heard some talk of putting a GPS somewhere on the sled for unguided tours.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Go for it Chirs, I'll listen for you in the parking lot about 3:30 AM:D

Winter and camping do not go together! Waking up with a numb azz from sleeping on a frozen bed is no fun and nothing I would willingly do again. IMO, a shovel is a mandatory piece of equipment. If you bring nothing else, at least you will be able to build a shelter and get out of the weather. Plan ahead for what could happen and prepare your survival kit with a few lightweight "luxury" items that'll lift your spirits and keep you thinking smart. Survival blanket, Candle, flashlight, knife, Saw, fire starter, compact high energy food/bars, Duct tape, baling wire, epoxy dough, zip ties, vice grip, straps, a bit of rope, two way radio, phone. Prolly a hundred other good options too, like a first aid kit. Going light-weight is great, but you should try to carry some basic stuff that always goes along.

Lost first? Well I get temporarily disorientated all the time, but lost never....:D

Last edited:
B
stranded

Thinking of doing it a weekend when the riding isn't that great. We'll have our campers in the MC lot. We'll only carry what we have but i'm def packing some booze :)

i have been stranded overnight and i can tell you it SUCKS.me and a bud enjoying a day of 3 foot fresh powder , my sled lost the clutch . had to TRY to ride out on one sled .it was getting dark when the sled went into a creek ,bent trailing arms ,trashed ski . 15 miles from truck 10 below zero. used the gas from the sled to keep a fire going .......sucked. but made it trough the nite . now i am better prepared. and hopefully wont relive that one.

Premium Features