• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 m8 bogging at 6500 rpm then backfiring

M
Oct 31, 2008
Spokane, wa
My buddy has a 08 m8 that at 6500 rpm it Boggs and then backfires when you let off throttle! Just changed plugs, cleaned power valves and had new primary put on last year! Anyone have specs on power valve cable length specs? Any other ideas would be helpful! Possible electrical or fuel problem? Thanks in advance.

J
Aug 31, 2011
I would be checking the power valve motor and wiring...sounds like a short..... Unplug the power valve motor and un hook the cables and pull them open and pin it and see what happens..

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
mine is stumbling right at 6500 also but not backfiring, wont rev past that point.

I cant find anythingwrong fule pressure is good and doesn't drop, it doesn't appear to be a fueling issue as it starts dumping fuel (black smoke) if you give it more throttle.

its like a limiter is on.

two things I have heard....one its the hood wiring harness right at the hood hinge point. it breaks a wire and causes the issue , the other is that the wiring harness on the sled has isses and fails causing the problem, most likely a ground connection faulty. one more thing I have heard is the oil tank sending unit wiring causes all sorts of odd problems.

so

unplug the main harness behind the pipe, that eliminates everything on the bars being the issue. - try / reconnect

unplug the oil tank sending unit - try / reconnect

unplug the hood harness - try / reconnect

look everywhere at the grounds and make sure your getting contact

something to check not related to the problem is the calibration of the TPS on the side of the throttle bodies. I checked 6 sleds and 4 of them were out. I think it is part of the issue of me losing three piston/cylinders on my m1000. my 08 m8 was out of spec when I checked it.

good luck and please post the fix!

spomey

M
Oct 31, 2008
Spokane, wa
So we have manually pulled the power valve cables and had no luck! We have taken apart and cleand every connector, so far no luck! I did notice the spark plug wires had some rub marks but were not rubbed through! The rest of the wires don't have any obvious damage!

Premium Features