• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why does my sled take so many RPMs to engage?

G
Mar 12, 2014
Hey guys, I bought a 2003 Arctic Cat Panther 570 ESR about a month ago and I'm having some problems with it. Two days after I bought it the belt snapped on it. That day I knew something sounded wrong but wasn't sure what exactly. Now I am having more problems with it. The RPMs go way too high before the belt engages. Is it still good to ride for now? I'm new to snowmobiling and have done my research and found that maybe the clutch just needs a good cleaning or a spring on the inside is either broken or loose. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
More than likely when the belt broke your have parts of it stuck in the secondary holding it open and thus the primary has to pull the belt further through to engage.

G
Mar 12, 2014
Does Anyone Know Whats Wrong with my Sled?!

Hey guys, I bought a 2003 Arctic Cat Panther 570 ESR about a month ago and I'm having some problems with it. Two days after I bought it the belt snapped on it. That day I knew something sounded wrong but wasn't sure what exactly. Now I am having more problems with it. The RPMs go way too high before the belt engages. Is it still good to ride for now? I'm new to snowmobiling and have done my research and found that maybe the clutch just needs a good cleaning or a spring on the inside is either broken or loose. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. We have just recently gotten lots of fresh powder and lots on the way. Is it still okay to ride and if not, how long before I am riding again? Thanks again, all the advice I can get will be great.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Crude stuck in the clutches, broken secondary spring, or broken spider on the primary will all cause problems. Belt should be sitting just above the sheaves on the secondary, if it is down flush or lower the problem is in that secondary or wrong belt.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
A broken spring will usually give you a lower rpm engagement, check for a worn weight or worn out roller in the drive clutch. Plus all the other things everyone else has suggested.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Broken spring in the primary will give low engagement, broke spring in the secondary will give high jerky engagement.

Premium Features