• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BC 250 acting up.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Got out today, snow was real deep! Enough that my BD filter through the hood was getting choked out by snow.

As for my sled it popped once all day and never had a low rpm at full throttle like described before. Only thing I did was run straight AV gas instead of a mix to 93 octane. Guess I will be running straight AV gas from now on. Will be adding more vents tho for the heat.

What I'm not liking about the comment on running 100 oct is that supposedly "all the fail safes" are still supposed to be in the evo flashes. So... Octane fixes it the backfire its likely detonation which is not being retarded by the ecu, no?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
What I'm not liking about the comment on running 100 oct is that supposedly "all the fail safes" are still supposed to be in the evo flashes. So... Octane fixes it the backfire its likely detonation which is not being retarded by the ecu, no?

The dark fire could be causing the ecu to think it Just "heard" a knock. That's what I suspect.

Or possibly the ecu going full rich

F
Feb 5, 2010
Grande Prairie
if you go with 275, you prob need full race or a 50/50 mix with av. the only good fuel up here is av or race. i have the 215 flash and needed half tank of av. same issues, mine derated me when i was stock, so i started with av gas.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I would like to hear jim weigh in on the idea of needing more octane. But here is my fairly good guess.

Some sleds stock can get the octane code on 91 octane. Some don't. At this there must be some variables coming into play. The first thing I suspect is likely a possible variance in the fuel pressure. Is it possible that one regulator for example makes 60psi while the next makes 57 static? With this I am pondering if an adjustable fpr would be the ticket. I am thinking alot of the knock could be coming from a lean condition that some even see on a stock config. Crank up the fuel pressure a fuel PSI and bam it is gone. DDracing sells an adjustable reg for $149.

If you have been around turbos for a while you know that a few psi low can produce a lean mixture. For example if the sled is at 12.5A/F at WOT and knocking maybe 11.7A/F would fix that? While it would fix it, it would unlikely cause it to run any different in the seat of the pants feel but make the engine much happier?

I think Jims(evo) tune is spot on but it can't account for these differences.

Now that is just me thinking out loud. I personally have never seen a oct code on my sled, And I have even been running 91 oct in mn on the 93 oct setting. Hopefully Jim will come on and add his 2cents.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Glenville, Minnesota
I have received two octane codes on my sled since I got it (stock sled) turn off the engine then restart and its gone, in 450 miles just thought that it was some bad gas. The other issue I have is that the sled will bad 7400-7800 then all the sudden it will shoot up to 8150 and its on or I will be crusing at 45mph holding the throttle steady and it will start accelerating and get real crisp (run like it should) fuel pressure regulator I dont know? Need help if I get this fixed I will be one happy 1100 owner!!!!!!

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
It would have been nice if my gauge had shown codes for octane or that it was going into limp mode, after running straight Av gas it seems like that was the problem. Still the issues only started if sled was really hot. I ran non stop pulls for 15min and played in some over the hood slow tree and could not get the sled to repeat symptoms when I was running straight AV gas.

The fuel regulator could be an issue I got a boost gauge coming and will be getting a A/F gauge as well as I did have one pop from my sled on straight AV gas.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I wonder if the map is too lean in part throttle applications which leads to heating everything up but then under more normal mountain riding on full throttle there is lower combustion temp and no longer any lean backfire from overheated combustion temps?

F
Feb 5, 2010
Grande Prairie
Hey 10003514 how does the BC 250 pull, do you feel its making that kind of power? have you climbed against a stock 1100 turbo? Have you tried it against a turbo yammi? with 250 hp you should be very close to a 270 mcx nytro. just looking for some feedback on 2

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Sled is for sure making the horse power evo claims, BC250 runs very strong, I'm glad I went with the upgrade. My sled is no comparison to a stock M1100t alot more power and runs really clean now. As for comparing to a nytro I wouldn't be afraid to go up against my buddies impulse turbo, the cat is such a nice sled to ride compared to the nytro as well.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Re: BC 250

Hey 10003514 how does the BC 250 pull, do you feel its making that kind of power? have you climbed against a stock 1100 turbo? Have you tried it against a turbo yammi? with 250 hp you should be very close to a 270 mcx nytro. just looking for some feedback on 2

I have an EVO BC250 kit on mine with BRV, cold air intake,charge tubes, intercooler fan, 2.5" DP & MBRP trail can (with header on DP & blankets on turbo & manifold, good venting). Haven't been up against a turbo Yamaha or a stock M1100T, but I have had it up against a Speedwerx kit (including clutching) running the "290"hp flash, charge tubes, header, DP, and can. His sled was running straight av gas, I had 2 gallons in a tankful of 91 non ethanol. Both sleds are 2013's, mine has a Racin Station clutch setup with a Team Tied, and I weigh about 40 lbs more then the fellow on the speedwerx sled.
Long story short, the EVO BC250 was considerably stronger then the other sled, and we even swapped riders to confirm. Racin Station's clutching was spot on, with a lower engagement, and better track speed then the speedwerx equipped M1100T. The lower engagement is great for tree riding / boondocking, the speedwerx setup was more "abrupt". I am thrilled with my EVO setup, and will likely reflash to the 275 tune and add the 3" bazooka exhaust for next season. Still on my original belt with 350 miles with no mentionable wear showing, either. We were riding at 7400' in fairly mild temps (-8c, so about 45 F).
I rode a lightweighted modded M1000 prior to this sled that had everything done to it with the exception of turbocharging (it had a 105lb diet from new), and the PC M1100T is a far superior machine overall (although the M chassis was better for super tight trees or getting unstuck).
Go with EVO, you will not be disappointed. *** I might add that the speedwerx "290" flash cannot possibly make 290 hp at elevation. If it does, then the BC 250 kit must make at least 330 hp lol.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I would like to hear jim weigh in on the idea of needing more octane. But here is my fairly good guess.

Some sleds stock can get the octane code on 91 octane. Some don't. At this there must be some variables coming into play. The first thing I suspect is likely a possible variance in the fuel pressure. Is it possible that one regulator for example makes 60psi while the next makes 57 static? With this I am pondering if an adjustable fpr would be the ticket. I am thinking alot of the knock could be coming from a lean condition that some even see on a stock config. Crank up the fuel pressure a fuel PSI and bam it is gone. DDracing sells an adjustable reg for $149.

If you have been around turbos for a while you know that a few psi low can produce a lean mixture. For example if the sled is at 12.5A/F at WOT and knocking maybe 11.7A/F would fix that? While it would fix it, it would unlikely cause it to run any different in the seat of the pants feel but make the engine much happier?

I think Jims(evo) tune is spot on but it can't account for these differences.

Now that is just me thinking out loud. I personally have never seen a oct code on my sled, And I have even been running 91 oct in mn on the 93 oct setting. Hopefully Jim will come on and add his 2cents.

Minor variances in fuel pressure should be minimal and should be accounted for within the fuel mapping during closed loop conditions. The engine has a set of parameters its trying to achieve and so long as the injectors do not duty cycle out (which they will not be at that horsepower range) the compensation will occur per the revised ecu mapping.

The only reason you turn up fuel pressure on these sleds is to create an effectively larger injector and a higher horsepower ceiling. Given an approximately 300hp factory injector capability I wouldn't tinker with it. Check it, make sure the regulator is seeing boost pressure and compensating accordingly, but don't tinker with it.

Last edited:
Premium Features