• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in chip. How long.

medicman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Hey guys. I thought I read somewhere that the new xm has a chip the will burn out at so may gallons of fuel used now and not by hours.. But I can't seem to find it.. Anyone know the skinny on this?

F

fassteddie

Nov 27, 2007
renton wa.
my 2011 was 325 mi and my 12 was 296. break in elev. 2300-5000 ft qlickers on #3 rev it up they don't be afraid.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
It is not solely based on Fuel or Mileage

There are different parameters that must be met. I don't think anybody has explained all of them but the only real way to find out is to plug your sled into the computer and it will tell you what percentage of break in is left. Using the Skidoo BUDS program (i think that was what it was called)

Mine reached the "0% break in left" around 225 miles. 2012 etec

Last edited:
R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
Break in time on these things seem to vary alot from rider to rider. (If you ride it like you stole it or just cruise the trails). I varied the throttle alot, never really kept it at the same rpm for a large amount of time. This seemed to make my break in time go much faster.

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
my 2011 was 325 mi and my 12 was 296. break in elev. 2300-5000 ft qlickers on #3 rev it up they don't be afraid.

-Eddie has always kept close tabs on his break in. The E-tec goes off fuel consumption to get through the break in. It is 22 gallons burned. We have the ability to plug our sleds in at our local dealer so we get a good idea of what is going on. Last year I was burning mine in during a period with no new snow so I did quite a few trail miles...with over 300 miles on the odo. I still had 18% left till I was running at 100%. I never actually plugged back in to see when I was broken in I was sure that with only 18% left to go I would be through the cycle the next day out. I was probably over 350 when I got there last season.

Ride them hard! And just think when your sled is just broken in the guys out there with Pros are starting to worry about how many more miles they have till their cylinder skirt cracks off.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Tudizzle is accurate, it's some overly complex programming (not a chip) that takes into account, fuel used, throttle position, RPM, temp and a bunch of other unnecessry stuff before the "break in program" expires. Mine took close to 400 miles per the BUDS...and close to 40 gallons of fuel.
I wouldn't even worry about it, ride it like normal. My '11 and '12 went through phases at certain mileage where you could suddenly feel a difference and the oil use would drop. After about 150 miles the changes were no longer noticable, it ran strong and consistant. I would think the '13 will be the same.

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
The manual states- E-Tec Models....During a predetermined period, the engine management system controls some engine parameters. The duration is based on fuel volume. It will take approximately two fuel tanks to complete the break-in.

If something is put out for us consumers in writing and it comes directly from the manufacturer I would think that fuel consumption is a large part of the equasion.

2 tanks is 21.2 gallons. I had burned more than this amount of fuel (by many gallons) when the he BUDS system said I still had 18% to go in the break-in program. I also noticed little or no difference in performance after roughly 200 miles.....but the computer told me I was not there yet.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The manual states- E-Tec Models....During a predetermined period, the engine management system controls some engine parameters. The duration is based on fuel volume. It will take approximately two fuel tanks to complete the break-in.

If something is put out for us consumers in writing and it comes directly from the manufacturer I would think that fuel consumption is a large part of the equasion.

2 tanks is 21.2 gallons. I had burned more than this amount of fuel (by many gallons) when the he BUDS system said I still had 18% to go in the break-in program. I also noticed little or no difference in performance after roughly 200 miles.....but the computer told me I was not there yet.

Yes this is true...I have asked this question to the service techs, it is on fuel faster you go through the fuel fast it breaks in...I warm my machine up easy up the hill to riding area and let her cool down, then go riding, just don't hit a long hill with wide open for too long and she is all good...simple...

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I do the "break in" on my sleds in the first 15 minutes I ride them. Then don't even think about it again. Follow the Motoman method. All I am looking for is a good ring seal. I can't feel a difference when I am on or off the ETEC internal break in program but they seem to use more oil for a while.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
This comes up every year. I've never noticed a difference. I ride it the same from the beginning. The whole thing is like a tootsie pop. Nobody really knows how many licks to get to the center.

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
I do the "break in" on my sleds in the first 15 minutes I ride them. Then don't even think about it again. Follow the Motoman method. All I am looking for is a good ring seal. I can't feel a difference when I am on or off the ETEC internal break in program but they seem to use more oil for a while.
What exactely is the Motoman method? Thanks

Premium Features