• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Choosing Track Length

Okay here is the dilemma, we are going to add another sled in the next couple of weeks and we can’t decide which way to go, we would like some input on track length from riders who have been down this road. currently we have a 2010 XP-154 and a older cat with a 144, we are looking at adding a 163 or 174, 80% of our riding is in the mountains on the west coast, lots of tree riding and narrow trails with snow conditions anywhere from wet and heavy to deep powder. Just wondering what it’s like to handle these longer tracks in the hills, especially the 174. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Have spent time on everything from 154 to 174 and we typically have all these lengths in our riding group every weekend.
The only downfall of a 174 is it takes away a little of the fun-factor. It's a heavy track so it makes the sled a little lazier (if that makes sense). We ride alot of thick trees and heavy snow as well....the 174 is the king in these conditions IMO. Very forgiving and allows you to go farther, especially when obstacles don't allow getting a run at things or getting your speed up. It's tough for a 163 to even follow a 174's track in deep conditions. Throw in a 3" paddle compared to the more common 2.5 and it takes it to yet another level. :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
C
Nov 3, 2008
track

Depends on how much of a challenge you want. We ride the mountains of Montana and a 174 would be fun, but also it can take the fun out of a area because that size track makes it too easy. I like the 154 because you have to work a little bit to get to the tough places. My guess would be to meet in the middle with the 163.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Love my 154, weigh around 165 and I don't think I would want any bigger personally. I can throw it around and with a 16" hardly eve get it stuck... real bad anyways. Still feels big but learn how to make it nimble, I think if I were personally on anything longer it would be overkill, that's what she said, but that's just me. Dont get me wrong a 163 or 174 would be awesome to get anywhere but as small as I am, I love the 154, but its also the biggest I've ridden... my. 02
P

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
I agree! I love my 154" and would have a hard time going any bigger. If you are going bigger I would probably stop at a 163". Unless you ABSOLUTELY need the extra track for the flotation I just don't feel its worth it. Better have some mods too with the 174" if you want to keep that baby spinning!

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Have spent time on everything from 154 to 174 and we typically have all these lengths in our riding group every weekend.
The only downfall of a 174 is it takes away a little of the fun-factor. It's a heavy track so it makes the sled a little lazier (if that makes sense). We ride alot of thick trees and heavy snow as well....the 174 is the king in these conditions IMO. Very forgiving and allows you to go farther, especially when obstacles don't allow getting a run at things or getting your speed up. It's tough for a 163 to even follow a 174's track in deep conditions. Throw in a 3" paddle compared to the more common 2.5 and it takes it to yet another level. :face-icon-small-win
Same as Winter has stated and love the 174 but its like RV'S or boats you need two or three to cover all conditions.:face-icon-small-win

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
follow

The most important thing is who you are trying to follow. If you are the guy on the 154,,, and everybody else is on an older sled or the 146,,,, you are the king. If you are trying to follow guys that are better riders than you,,, with 163's,, you are the shmow! I try my best to follow a bunch of guys that are better riders, on their 163's... UGH! I am going to a 174. You can go slower, and maybe not get stuck so much.

Thanks for the replies, still trying to decide but I think PFI172 is right; you need a couple of sleds to cover all snow conditions. I am fortunate that I already have a 154 and I am adding the second sled so my son has a better chance at keeping up with me. The main reason I was looking at the longer tracks is because we are both over 6 feet tall and weigh 210 pounds before our gear goes on. we are at a disadvantage to the smaller guys before we start. The 174 big bore is awful tempting :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Yella Belly

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Yakima, WA
We also have everything from 136 to 163 in our group, and I'm on a 163. I'm thinking of dropping down to the 154 next season for the track speed. Unless I can get the clutching figured out better for this year. I've been on the long track since the 06 (159) and have never had any issues with making turns, or getting around in the trees.
Go long... you will like it.

Premium Features