• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vest?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My understanding is that those are more of a "roost protector" not necessarily an impact protector. Sarah??? Em?? MX chicas??

Abby has been throguh about 5 types of protectors. She wears a women's rockgardn pressure suit on the DH bikes, but int he winter she wears a female fox roost guard & prefers it to the other types of protection she's tried.

There's a number of good reasons to have a hard shell on the outside of your gear... She's tried them all & prefers the hard plastic shell over the others. It just deflects the impact better.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
LOL...yeah...I'm trying to figure out how I can get away with getting this. I guess I could sell my other one, and maybe a few other things...then I can have one of these. This is a sweet vest...and definitely more my style.

I'm really loving seeing sled gear with women in mind. It just keeps getting better! :)

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
Looks like the chest area could be a little wider though. Something looks like it could possibly hang out for some females. :face-icon-small-blu :face-icon-small-hap :face-icon-small-win

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Too funny! It would be nice to see pics with this on so we could see how it fits (though it's not a worry for me on something hanging out). I also like how it comes down more in the front. Looks like it could provide more protection to the internal organs.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I recently got a tekvest. Found it on ebay. New and a mens small. It's not small enough. Darn it!!! So I sold it. It looks just like the one above only with out the pink and neck cover.

Oh Here. Found a pic.

That's not me BTW... I thought the small would fit. She looks pretty small.

tekvest.jpg

C

Colorado4fun

Mar 26, 2004
Layton, UT
I have the tekvest in a small and I'm not lacking anything up top. :face-icon-small-sho. Love it!

Not a big fan of pink either but really like that Sled Diva vest.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Abby has been throguh about 5 types of protectors.

If anyone is going to put their vest to a test it would be Abby! :)

LOL...yeah...I'm trying to figure out how I can get away with getting this.

You could just "embellish" yours with fabric paint color of your choice... :) I've done this with my beanies, coat emblems and quickstraps.... :face-icon-small-coo

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
LOL....yeah, most of my gear has fabric paint and/or hot pink sharpie on it. The sharpie has to be redone a few times a season (I use it on the thread patterns...like all of the stitching on my Klim britches).

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Dug out my Klim TekVest....it's cut the same as GP's pic, and the SledDiva's one. Has always worked well. :)

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
ladies, something to tink about when purchasing a tek vent, core saver upper body protector.... make sure the front plate (breast/sternum plate) is solid (no zipper through the middle). the ones with the zip front will not have as much protection in a frontal upper, straight on impact (like bars to the chest), due to the zipper being "soft" and the weak link in the protection process. on the solid plate models, the whole plate takes the energy and disperses it throughout the whole plate.

i am not saying the zipper will fail, i am saying the protection is only solid on either side of the zipper, and not in the center where it connects. i think the reason they made a zipped front for some people is the ease of putting it on but, in reality.... we feel a full front plate with no zipper would offer you a more complete protector.

my wife wears a tekvest supersport with a full front plate. 2-3 years ago she took the bar riser to the sternum at a pretty high rate of speed climbing out of a ravine. the ravine had a creek crossing at the bottom she zigged when she should have zagged (caused by others in the group telling her to go left, when they were looking at her from the top of the hill, she needed to go right). she hit the bars with such force we thought we were going to have to air lift her out. finally she caught her breath enough to ride out.

she is in the medical field, she says the full front chest plate saved her from massive internal injuries, and fully believes the super sport saved her life that day.

food for thought, be safe out there. ski

Premium Features