• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My First Cat! What should i do???

S
Jul 12, 2010
i have rode polaris snowmbiles since i could walk, but just fell into a deal i couldnt pass up on a 2011 hcr. with the polaris sleds i know who to talk to and know enough about them to get them clutched right and run good stock, but with the cat... im needing some help!! im sure the stock set up works good but theirs got to be other set ups that work better! Spill the beans!!!

Thanks Everyone!!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
search geo mod, get m-series a-arms and shocks, venting, or just get some gas and ride. their a good sled in stock form,

SoDakCat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stickney SD
Have the rear shocks revalved and just buy gas and oil. That and beat it like it owes you money. They are a really good sled in just stock form. Maybe look at some clutching for your riding style and elevation and possibly some venting.

Ride the sled for a while and then figure out what you like and what you want to change. There are enought things out there that you can pretty much build and M from parts cataloges.

If your comming from a Po it wont take long to get use to the ergo's.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The 2011's have better valving in the shocks unlike the 2010 that needed revalved. How much do you want to spend, I would get the narrow m a-arms, a lighter can at the least, MDS weights, Just give me a price and i'll give you the best mods for the money. Where do you ride and elevation, that will help on what you will want.

S
Jul 12, 2010
i ride from 6 to 10000 ft in northern utah, ive looked into the culter can just to loose some weight (what can is the quitest??)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
i have rode polaris snowmbiles since i could walk, but just fell into a deal i couldnt pass up on a 2011 hcr. with the polaris sleds i know who to talk to and know enough about them to get them clutched right and run good stock, but with the cat... im needing some help!! im sure the stock set up works good but theirs got to be other set ups that work better! Spill the beans!!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Nice sled! Ergonomics are the key. Get the bar height set for your riding style. Venting the side panels helped a lot on my M sleds with belt life and underhood heat issues that showed up for me riding hard in deep powder. I like 2cool side vents, but many others are good too. Next a lightweight can...this is easy because everything is lighter than the stock anchor. as far as quiet, slp's was quiet. I ended up with an ultraQ after trying 3 or 4 others which wasn't too obnoxious. The tunnel dump can requires cutting the tunnel in the footwell area and once you install it there is no going back. So be 100% sure you like it and are ready to sell your sled with it installed before buying one of those.
Also after having both wide stance and narrow stance a-arms...ride it for a while and then ride a narrow stance before spending a bunch of money switching...both have benefits depending on the type of riding you do. Also along this line if you do decide to change a-arms I'd suggest buying some chromoly ones which are lighter, stronger, and will still bend before wrecking your bulkhead.
Clutching is very important for sure, but before you go spending the money on MDS weights, which I also have experience using and like, just get it dialed in with the correct stock weights, WAY cheaper and you can always sell them if you decide to go big. The MDS's are cool and provide a different power application feel.

also optional stuff:
-A Gauge Cage vent is nice and allows you to see your gauge when standing.
-The steering post will get sloppy after a little hard riding, bdx anti slop helps after it happens along with a chromoly post but deal with that if/when you have to. some people dont have a problem.

I really became a fan of the thick Better Boards for keeping the rails clean and strengthening up the footrails too, but somehow managed to ride for a few years without them as well so I would end up calling that a nice option too.

Have fun with it! Seriously with the right post height for you, a little venting, and a lighter can that thing will fricken Rip when the primary clutch is weighted right for your altitude!

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Pull apart diamond drive and replace the weak bearing!!!!!!! Step two pull and go.

Yep mine was toast at 500 miles, replaced with double wide bearing. There are awesome threads step by step on this if you search DD bearing.

Premium Features