• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If you are running a MPI Supercharger

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In a coversation today with MPI they told me they will begin re-flashing Yamaha ECUs later this summer with a new map to support their supercharger.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this.
I think we are looking late august or September for this.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Will this mean no more GEMS piggyback?:face-icon-small-sho

Thats a really good question and I don't have an answer for you.
The GEMs box did not come up in the conversation.

He knows I have had some issues with my GEMs and how the engine ran in general and just mentioned in passing that he would like me to send in my ECU and allow him to reflash it, then said to hang on for 2-3 months and do it at the end of the summer.

Guess we will find out in a couple months.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
An observation for ya, seems the only time MPI is vocal and forthcoming about the mapping and super charger in general is when sled season is over. Lots of promises and assurances about next year, unfortunately since 05 or 6, in my opinion they haven't made it work in the winter.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have not been involved with MPI long enough to know if that is true or not. Thus far I have found them to follow through on everything they have told me.

Right now I have no reason to doubt what he told me this afternoon.

Sent from my Apple iPhone 4S using the TapaTalk app.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I have not been involved with MPI long enough to know if that is true or not. Thus far I have found them to follow through on everything they have told me.

Just put a Boost It system on it and be done with it.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

Thats my point, each year they attract another small group of victims. Good luck.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, I certainly don't feel like a "Victim" at all.
I love the supercharger, even though I have had some issues with it.
I fully expect to get it all resolved this summer and to have an awesome season next year riding.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
temp

one of the things the reflash will do is turn the temp light on sooner so one is aware that boosting at that temp will cause deto...the gems will still be used unfortunately....from a dealer standpoint mpi has been a pain to work with....this has been in the works for a while, i was talkin with matt about this last year...."coming in the fall" ya right....mpi=:noidea:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I now know the rest of the story in great detail.
Hang tight till next week and I will have a whole thread on why this will be a GOOD THING and not a pain in the butt at all.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I now know the rest of the story in great detail.
Hang tight till next week and I will have a whole thread on why this will be a GOOD THING and not a pain in the butt at all.
I think what people are saying, is that you should be cautious. Just because people say things will work does not always mean they will in the real world.
What I find amazing about the sled world is that so many people are willing to be lab rats and do the R&D for the manufacturer. Sometimes it is a condition of the industry and it is very hard to test new products in the summer.

We test new products for at least the better part of a season before we release them. I know we miss some sales because of it, but morally I feel it is the right way to do it.
Good ideas do not always net good results!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
We test new products for at least the better part of a season before we release them. I know we miss some sales because of it, but morally I feel it is the right way to do it.
Good ideas do not always net good results!

Speaking of which, you guys ever make your nytro front clip?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Speaking of which, you guys ever make your nytro front clip?
At the end of the day it just didn't have a good enough business case. There were a couple companies just releasing "plus" front ends, and I didn't feel comfortable with some of the liability issues that may have come up with our product.
Steering and suspension products are tricky when it comes to safety, and we did not want to even deal with the risk.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Christopher how many "good" days riding did you get with your supercharger Nytro this last winter? Days without any real problems?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I only had ONE significant issue last year and that was the pulley.
The rest of the stuff was really very minor and NEVER stopped me from riding, just made me want to figure out what was going on.

The hesitation issue I saw at Togwotee was annoying, but I still rode all day long every day.

Honestly, having spoken to the techs that will be reprogramming the Bosch ECU on the Yamaha I fully expect that issue to be resolved this summer.

I am just now doing the tear down of the sled for summer mods, and installing the new idler on the SC.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I have a supercharger nytro and a turbocharged nytro both are MPI. I've only had one problem with the supercharge. The GEMs controller had two wires switched. Once it was fixed I haven't had a problem since. My supercharge sled has three season about 1500 miles and my turbo was new last season about 600 miles. I installed the SC myself and had Outlaw Motorsports install the 240hp turbo. They both are pretty trouble free. The only problem I had was the one time with the GEMs. I've been happy with the product. I went with MPI because of the fit of their product and price. I hope with increasing demand on boost system prices drop. Arctic Cat new turbo can be turned up to 240 HP for less the $600. Total price around 14500.00 new hard to get that price for a nytro. My sleds I have 22K each and I bought them new for 7400K each. I've learned the hard way and listed to peoples options on TY4strokes forum. My next sled will be different.

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I have a supercharger nytro and a turbocharged nytro both are MPI. I've only had one problem with the supercharge. The GEMs controller had two wires switched. Once it was fixed I haven't had a problem since. My supercharge sled has three season about 1500 miles and my turbo was new last season about 600 miles. I installed the SC myself and had Outlaw Motorsports install the 240hp turbo. They both are pretty trouble free. The only problem I had was the one time with the GEMs. I've been happy with the product. I went with MPI because of the fit of their product and price. I hope with increasing demand on boost system prices drop. Arctic Cat new turbo can be turned up to 240 HP for less the $600. Total price around 14500.00 new hard to get that price for a nytro. My sleds I have 22K each and I bought them new for 7400K each. I've learned the hard way and listed to peoples options on TY4strokes forum. My next sled will be different.

Show me one AC 1100 on the mountain with a true 240hp:rolleyes: I'm so sick of all the 1100T BS big power claims

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Show me one AC 1100 on the mountain with a true 240hp:rolleyes: I'm so sick of all the 1100T BS big power claims

Come to Washington next winter and bring you snowmobile. Don't get me wrong I have blue boold, but my friend is selling his 270 impulse 25k sled to go with a 240 HP kitty cat. Our friend got a cat last year and did a few mods to increase boost and he climbs everything we do with 10k in his pocket. It hasn't been dyno to show on papper the 240 HP but that doesn't matter because the snow doesn't care. His sled performs hand down much better than when stock. If you want to come out to ride let me know. I'm always looking for people to ride with.

Premium Features