• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX 180 Update

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Finally got out for a ride with the new kit, still no snow to speak of here in central sask but did get on the lake sat and sun. 09 mtx had 0 km so was breakin it in put on 120k, no mater what rpm you cruise at runs clean and response seems to be right there. No traction on the lake except for the firm drifts, a couple squirts showed the mtx has enough gear for 150kph at 8400rpm with the 2.5 x 162camo flailing for it's life. at 1700' here and running 7psi out of the box. Thanx again to TBird for the chart and info. So far real happy.:cool:

Last edited:
N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
I recently installed a Mcx 180 kit on my 2009 nytro mtx. The install went pretty good considering the instructions were horrible! And yes the factory boost was not set correctly, mine started out at 13psi, after several rides and 13 full turns out on the waste gate rod, I got it down to 6.5 @ 2200ft. Wow what a sled now! But I am having an issue with it that niether my dealer nor Prince George can figure out yet, if i slowly depresse the throttle and ease into the boost, it runs flawlessly. But if I hammer on the throttle i get 3-6 "pops" out the exhaust. They are loud and the sled has little power while doing this. I can only assume an air leak on the pressure side is not getting air to match fuel right away, but cant find one. If anyone has any ideas please fire away. Thanks

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I recently installed a Mcx 180 kit on my 2009 nytro mtx. The install went pretty good considering the instructions were horrible! And yes the factory boost was not set correctly, mine started out at 13psi, after several rides and 13 full turns out on the waste gate rod, I got it down to 6.5 @ 2200ft. Wow what a sled now! But I am having an issue with it that niether my dealer nor Prince George can figure out yet, if i slowly depresse the throttle and ease into the boost, it runs flawlessly. But if I hammer on the throttle i get 3-6 "pops" out the exhaust. They are loud and the sled has little power while doing this. I can only assume an air leak on the pressure side is not getting air to match fuel right away, but cant find one. If anyone has any ideas please fire away. Thanks

Sounds like the rev limiter

N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
I have Dalton weights with stock 6-9000 ft primary spring and a purple secondary. The same setup as the 240 kit around here. If it is my rev limiter I cant prove it because my tach doesnt react that fast to show me.

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Dalton DTY2A 79-86.4 adj. set at 82.1 right now but may still be a bit heavy, blue brown blue primary spring, 45deg dalton helix and dalton sec spring. Still working on it and breakin sled, but will see if I can get this combo dialed in. What Absolute Power in Edmonton recomended. What are you weights set at Nytro180?

Last edited:

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
I have to agree with you on the instructions booklet, really sucked! And, 13 full turns out? Wow, mine is at 7.5 turns and from what I've read or heard from other guys that 7-8 turns out on the rod seems to do it. Also, mine was hitting the rev limiter and I did see it in that 9200-9300 area but I didn't get any backfiring or "pops" when it was doing it and the "watchers" at the bottom of the hill never heard anything either! I've got the 8BU's loaded to the max (4.5s x 2)but still have to do a test run to see where my rpm is at with that setup. I'm running the blu/brn/blu primary spring and the secondary is all stock. Once I get the rpm down this setup is awesome, we just had another BRP diehard put his sled up for sale and is looking for a Nytro now!.......Sherm

N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
Okay boys there was some confusion between my dealer and myself. I dont have dalton weights, we talked about them but decided to go with 8BU weights instead as per Prince George reccomendation. Later today I am picking up a Blue White Blue Yamaha spring, which is what everybody around here runs in the 240 kit (they also change the rollers to a 14.5 roller from a 16.5 in the 240 but we arent going there yet). So I will know how it works on Thursday and keep everyone posted. I have stock secondary helix with a Cat API purple secondary spring which works much better than the stock secondary spring. Sounds like there is a whole bunch of trial and error going on with these kits. Hopefully somebody gets er and passes on the info:cool:

Last edited:
N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
Here is what Prince George is telling us: 8BU fully weighted or Dalton, stock spring (6-9000ft), stock secondary helix and spring. Theirs is working great at elevation. But down here (2200ft) I have had to trial and error everything and am still working at it. But what I dont understand is that I was told that once you have it dialed in you dont have to change anything to go to elevation, because your horsepower remains the same. So why does everybody have a different setup on these kits? I should be able to run the same setup as PG shouldnt I?

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
The different setups are from things like tracks, gearing and boost variations, as well as some sleds having no miles on them yet, which holds the rpm down a few hundred rpm till broken in. 1psi is about 9 hp so even that will change your rpm. Someone needs to try 8BU00 weights with less rivet weight and 16.0 or 15.6 rollers and that will probably be closer. A little tweak and this 180 kit will be bang on.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Another test out on the Nytro, this time up on Queest Mtn. Although the day was banner, sunshine and about 6" of fresh snow, there really wasn't any hill that could meet the testing I wanted to do! It was one of those "get traction anywhere you went" kinda day and it was all I could do to just keep the ski's down! I did change up my 8BU's and maxed out the weights but, with the conditions the way they were it was tough to tell if they knocked my revs down or not because the sled wasn't even working when climbing. I can say that my boost was 10 psi at 7000' which is bang on according to TBird's chart! Sherm

N
Jan 5, 2010
Mossbank, Sk
Getting closer now. I am now running blue/white/blue with 8bu's weighted up, and a purple Cat API secondary spring with a yamaha 45 degree helix. The helix has reduced my popping (rev limiter) on initial full throttle from 5 pops down to 1. But now I cant get full rpms on a run, 82-8300 is max. I did hit 8400 once on an 7 sec run on drag strip. When I had the 39 helix I would over rev on the drag strip as well as the hole shot. Ideas???

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
I don't know about you but on the trail I can hit 26000 rpm anytime I want! Its when I'm pulling a hill and in either deep or heavy snow that I can really tell what the rpm really is. Yesterday most of the hills were pretty packed and traction was not a problem, just like on the trail, and revs were a dime a dozen. To be tested properly I think the snow conditions have to be just right. My old Rev would tach out on the trail like nothing but up in the snow, it would just suck! Sherm

Premium Features